First, make the crust in your food processor:
1. Place crust nuts in food processor. Process until crumbly. Add dates, coconut and salt. Process again until well-processed but still airy. Pinch between fingers. Sticks together? Ready.
2. Dump pie crust mixture into pie plate. Press crust down firmly into pie plate. Form into crust. Press down firmly. Crust is now ready. (Set aside.)
Next, make raw pumpkin pie filling:
3. Throw all pumpkin pie filling ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend from low to high until very, very silky smooth! (Try not to add any additional water other than what is called for. If it isn't blending properly, stop blender. Remove lid. Insert knife down side of blender - create air pocket. Remove knife, put lid back on, continue blending.)
4. Pour pumpkin pie filling into pie dish on top of crust. Smooth out top of pie with a knife or back of spoon. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
5. Place completed pie in freezer. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
6. Keep in freezer at all times. If serving, slice immediately as needed and eat frozen. Tastes like real pumpkin pie - raw style!
The Rawtarian's Thoughts
Raw pumpkin pie recipes are not something that are in my everyday recipe rotation. However, around Halloween or at Thanksgiving or Christmas it's nice to have a raw pumpkin pie recipe you can turn to for special occasions.
This raw pumpkin pie recipe is nice because it can be made the day before and kept in the freezer until ready to be eaten. It should be served frozen. I like to freeze my entire raw pumpkin pie in the freezer, and then slice about 1 minute before serving. It doesn't really taste frozen - it just tastes like cold pie. Don't defrost this raw pumpkin pie recipe because it will turn into a goopy mess!
For best pumpkin flavour, use the smaller pie pumpkins for eating (as compared to the huge pumpkins that you can buy to carve into jack-o-lanterns). Use the meaty inside part - discard the skin and seeds.
You must use the coconut oil. Do not substitute another oil. Coconut oil hardens when cooled - that's why it's so important in this raw pumpkin pie!
Your raw recipe package has been sent to your email
Be sure to check your spam or bulk mail folders if you can't find your package. Enjoy your raw adventure!