Raw apple pie recipe
Posted in: Raw Pies and Crumbles
1 cup cashews
1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup dates
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Apple pie ingredients:
3 (2+1) medium apples
1 cup dates
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Place all crust ingredients in the food processor. Process until the mixture sticks together and the dates are well processed.
2. Dump crust mixture into your pie crust/glass dish. Press the crust down firmly in your dish with your hands. (Crust is now done.)
3. Roughly chop two apples, get rid of core/seeds. (Leave one apple alone, OK?)
4. Place all filling ingredients (EXCEPT THAT ONE APPLE, LEAVE ONE APPLE ALONE) in the food processor. Process until it's well mixed - a wetish mixture with a few small date chunks or apple peel that might not disappear. (You might have to pause and scrape the sides and then process again.)
5. Throw wet appley-mixture into a big bowl.
6. Slice the last apple into thin slices or small chunks. Throw these apple slices/chunks into the wet appley mixture. Stir gently.
7. Dump appley-mixture (wet + sliced apples) on top of crust. Smooth out with spoon.
8. Cover and throw in freezer. Ready in half-an-hour!
9. This raw apple pie recipe should always be kept in the freezer. (It'll get soggy if in the fridge.)
The Rawtarian's Thoughts
This is how it works: Just make the crust, press it down into a pan. Then process most of the raw apple pie filling, then slice the remaining apple. Stir together the appley-mixture and the sliced apple. Dump the appley-stuff on top of the crust, spread it out. Cover and throw this raw apple pie recipe in the freezer.
The presentation is "okay" and not something that I would serve to impress a stranger or my boss, but it's great for a family dessert that tastes great and satisfies that craving for apple pie - raw style!
When inventing this raw apple pie recipe, I used Granny Smith crisp green apples. You can use whatever medium/largish apples you have on hand. I do NOT peel any of the apples, don't bother.
Your easy raw apple pie will keep in the freezer for about a week.
Tip: Make the crust first and then the filling right after. (This way you don't have to wash the food processor twice!)
Tip: For the crust, if you don't have cashews you could use pecans (or walnuts) instead for the crust. (But cashews have the most neutral flavour, which is best.)
Tip: You can stir in 1 tbsp raisins into the wet appley-mixture like I did in the photo above :)
Your raw recipe package has been sent to your email
Be sure to check your spam or bulk mail folders if you can't find your package. Enjoy your raw adventure!