Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Leg Cramps

Hello All

I have been having leg cramps at night while I sleep since I started this journey any advice?

And I eat plenty of bananas just a thumbs up on that.

thanks

Tina Marie

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

are you exercising?

• yes I have been walking.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I find for me when I get bad leg(or toe, which are the worst) cramps it is something I am missing.

Since you are eating bananas I would guess potassium isn't the issue, which leaves magnesium or sodium.

Usually magnesium for me(if sodium then natural source, like maybe celery in a juice).

Try some more magesium rich foods and see if that helps (for me, coconut water overall = no cramps!!)

• thank you all Im going to get some coral calcium to see if that takes care of the leg cramps, never thought of magnesium till you said something and I believe you are right!! see I havent eaten anything but fruits and vegtables no seeds or nuts or anything else so Im sure I need something, Im not a nut and seeds person.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Whenever you add Calcium, you should always add magnesium as they work hand in hand... You can buy a combination of the two already mixed properly... The ratio is 2-1

Hope your leg cramps go away soon as they can mess up a good nights sleep!!! smile

• I had something similar happen to me when I went 100% raw for a month. I was to the point of thinking I might have blood clots or something very serious because I was having strange leg cramps (not only at night). For me, it must have been sodium. When I introduced a little salt back into my diet- it cleared it right up. I'm not saying sodium is your problem, but I know it was mine. Not everyone here would be comfortable with my solution (using salt). But, it worked for me.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

The no. 1 source of magnesium by weight is sea vegetables. I believe kelp powder is number one, and dulse is number 2. Good luck! :)

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

lulushka8: You're right in that sea veggies, if not certified organic, can contain toxins. That's why it's important to seek out a certified organic source.

In Japan, they eat a lot more sea veggies that we do here in the West. I believe the per capita rate of consumption is approx. 13 pounds per year! However, as far as I know, hyperthyroidism/goiter is not an issue.

Besides, iodine is now a major mineral deficiency here in the U.S., esp. if you eat a lot of processed foods or if you eat out at restaurants (for those who are cooked foodists or who are transitioning). Most food manufacturers and restaurants do not use iodized salt (not that I think the iodine in iodized salt is very good for you). In a previous era, most families prepared their meals at home, whereas iodized salt was commonly used. :)

• oh I get those! even before I was raw. I actually recently found what helps SO much. When you wake up from the pain guzzle down AT LEAST 4 cups of water and take a potassium supplement. It goes away VERY quick!

Look up Nocturnal Leg Cramps.

I also wont to add my mom, grandma, and aunt get leg cramps in the middle of the night like this too and this always helps.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I used to get terrible "Charlie Horse" cramps in my feet and calves. I would wake up in the middle of the night and stretch and get instant pain. I would be walking to class when I would feel a burning down the length of my foot. That meant that a cramp was coming on so I would have to stop and keep my foot flat for a few minutes.

Dehydration plays a big part in causing these cramps. I haven't had any since going raw and eating a water rich high fruit diet.

Swayze

ClaireT
  • louiserlouiser Raw Newbie

I had the regular calf and toe cramps on and off for years.  then I started to get sever cramps from my knee to my groin. always at night just when Id start to fall asleep. they were so bad I get sick to my stomach and sweats. After trying water, salves, bananas, preasure socks , hot packs and more things then I can remember now My Dr told me to try tonic water with quinine. Iv been 6 months now and (knock knock) not one leg cramp. The dr said they use to give the men in the army quinine pills. The taste is stronger then gingerale but I got use to it. I guess you could mix it with something. You can get it at your locale food store at the end of the soda isle. small cans or 10oz bottles. laughingthey have bigger bottles also. good luck  sleep well.wink

ClaireT
  • kathiebkathieb Raw Newbie

At age 80, and in excellent health overall, I've been getting nighttime cramps in my legs, ankles and feet for several years. The best remedy I've found is the use of leg warmers and soft fleece booties. Leg stretches are also helpful. Sometimes I have to put two pairs of leg warmers on, but I usually fall asleep and wake up later with hot legs. I remove the warmers and go back to sleep. No more problems the rest of the night. I use the booties only if my ankles or feet cramp up.

I also have restless leg syndrome, though not every night. The best remedy for me is the leg stretch exercises. Leg warmers help, too, if the stretches aren't enough to stop it. 

I don't know what causes these problems, nor do I really care. I'm only interested in making them stop so I can get some sleep. I hope my remedies will help others.

I get my leg warmers on Amazon. My favorite ones are the extra long ones. I can see why ballet dancers use them for practicing. I bought leg warmers for all three of my sisters, and they swear by them for leg cramps. Three of us are in our eighties. I guess it's an "aging thing."

ClaireT