Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello, Everyone!

Comments

• Hi, I am Sarah. From Portland, OR.

I have been trying out recipes and researching on your site for the last month and a half… trying to switch from a vegetarian/sometimes vegan diet (for over 2 years) to raw because it makes sense and the things that I eat that are unhealthy are the non-vegan cooked stuff anyway! But I have had a really tough time. I just can’t seem to get past a day without a little chocolate and then there are little things at work that seem so tempting (how many potlucks can we have in America?). I don’t know why I have trouble with self control. I really see myself as a healthy person, but I don’t feel like I am acting like one! This is tough. I also do not know anyone who is raw and really no friends who are vegan either… My family still thinks I am crazy for being vegetarian. (I grew up in the midwest.) It’s good to read all your stories. I am inspired. I swear from now on, I am going 100% raw and I am sticking with it this time!! I’ve been eating about 80% raw… just need to make my committment and stick with it!! :)

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Wow, welcome everyone. We’re so glad you are here!

Sarah: Gone Raw is based out of Portland, too. Small world! Anyhow, these fudge bars all but kicked my chocolate cravings. They’re just so good! Also, try out the chocolate Laura bars.

• hello gladpike i used to have the same problem with chocolate. i was seriously ADDICTED to chocolate or for various bite sized desserts to get through my day. i had to have something. i was pretty much healthy except for those godarn desserts i kept filling myself with. i dont know how but SOMEHOW….. i just… stopped… maybe through years of scolding myself and self disciplining over and over again i finally got the hang of it. two days ago i was craving for some chocolate (finally) went to the store and got 2 BARS! ate them all in less than 5 mins then thought oh no i hope i dont begin this vicious cycle again. i didnt. for the past two days i havent even thought about it. perhaps with age you start to tire this… i dont know. im 24 … i wish i had some concrete answers. i know how frustrating this can be!

i used to live in portland, i recently moved to salt lake city. have only recently gone raw, and now im realizing that portland would have been the PERFECT place to go raw. too bad i dont live there anymore i would have liked to meet up with you seeing that i didnt have any vegan friends over there either.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Glad pike, try victoria boutenko’s book 12 steps to raw for help with your self control. She has her own take on the AA 12 steps programme to help people get off cooked food. It helped me alot :)

• Thank you guys for all the encouragement!!

I think I am just the same way as you, justbeautiful! All these stupid little dessert bites all the time. I was tempted by a hard crappy candy earlier this morning, but I didn’t have it. I don’t even like them! I think sometimes it’s just the stress of work, wears you down, you know! Like a chocolate will fix everything?

I sort of read that book by Victoria but it’s been a while, so I just reordered it from the library.

I find one of the most difficult things is other people trying to feed me! They are so insistent. But I am going to be strong this time!

Thank you guys! :)

• Hello everyone! I wasn’t looking for a treasure (today), but I’ve definitely found one here! Wow! I love this site. My family has been playing with the idea of going raw for about 1 month now, and guess who’s the cook around here? U got it…me. Which means, I would have to research various recipes that everyone in the family would enjoy.

I thought it best just to start with foods that we already enjoy eating. The recipes here are wonderful, and I look forward to sharing with each of you. Thank you all for posting!

• I realize I never introduced myself! I’m Caleb and I’ve been a member for a few weeks, but I’m not so much a raw foodist. I’m vegan for the most part. I’ve made a few recipes here and loved every one. I’m sixteen and live in the Tampa, FL area. I like you guys. That makes it a little easier to agree with one’s eating habits, haha. :)

• Hello everyone! I’ve been visiting this site on and off for quite sometime. The recipes always looked creative and delish!

The first time I even was exposed to “raw” was a few years ago when I came across Juliano’s “Raw” cookbook. I’ve been reading up on the subject since, but never dove in until about 4 weeks ago. I have now been 99-100% raw for two weeks, and lovin’ it!

My family had a bit of a time with it at first, but I have not forced any of my “raw-ness” on them. I love to cook, and continue to do so for them. However, my son is really getting into my raw recipes, since they are different and tasty. Who knows, he might just turn too…lol.

It’s funny, I don’t really crave cooked food. However, when I smell it, or see pictures of it, I start to think about it. Then I remember what carol Alt recommends, which is to think about how you can turned that “cooked” recipe into a tasty “raw” recipe. Which is lots of fun for me. I really enjoy trying new things, and creating new things. So far this journey has been just great!

I look forward to trying all the wonderful recipes that all of you post…

Peace to all!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Hi, I don’t think I ever introduced myself. My name is Genevieve, i’m 20, from Los Angeles. i’ve been vegetarian since I was 12 and vegan since 15. I always felt lighter on a vegan diet but also like there was always something missing, and whenever i would eat the soy products or anything else that was vegan but also processed or cooked I always felt heavy and unsatisfied. When I found out about fruitarianism I went straight into an only fruit diet, and then through this website i started learning about raw food and have been on it for about 3-4 months now. So far i’ve changed quite a bit for the better in my vitality.. i put a before and after pic up on the ‘My Raw Photos…’ thread. This site is so helpful! Although I am still very unfamiliar with the terms like soaking/germinating, and also the equipment that seem to accompany the raw lifestyle… i think someone needs to make a raw foodist starter’s kit! with definitions and tools you’ll need etc lol

Petty, I am from the Southbay too! Currently I am in Santa Monica.

• Hi kundalalita! I was wondering if you eat any beans, nuts, or fats in you diet? You look really healthy in your picture. Do you take any supplements or anything like hemp powder?

• Hi! My name’s April, i’m also 20 and from the Los Angeles area (hollywood). I’ve been a vegan since I was 16, and was a vegetarian since 14. I’m pretty new at the whole raw thing (about a month in so far) and am loving every minute of it. :)

• hey everybody! i started going raw about a week ago. i’ve been attempting to for quite a few months now. i’m not 100% yet but i do plan on it. i find this easiest for now. i eat fruit in the morning, a salad for lunch and then regular cooked food for dinner. i’ve been really sick lately. i am starting to get horrible headaches and it feels like liquid is sloshing around inside my brain. its a weird and frightening feeling. i’m tired of being sick and tired and i know raw is the only way to get rid of it all without having to pay thousands of dollars in medical bills.

• Hi everyone! I decided to eat raw about 4 weeks ago and am currently in a transition phase-cleansing and removing all the bad stuff from my body (yeast, parasites, etc.). This period is a challenge for me because I can’t have sweets and high-carb foods-this means no fruits, not potatoes, no yams, etc. I’m excited because I’m finding a lot of cool recipes and coming up with some equally tasty, anti-Candida (sugar-free, low-carb) alternatives-I found more than a couple here at Goneraw, so I decided to join this community. I’m having a great time so far-I’m happy to be here.

• Hi everyone!

I’ve been vegan for 12 years, and mostly raw (>50%) during that time. This year, I decided to go 100% raw (I mean 98-99%).

I did a yoga teacher training program for 4-weeks in September & reverted back to cooked vegan food for the month at the ashram. I tent camped under the stars for a month, & it was great!

At work in Washington D.C., I can walk to the nearby Whole Foods & Trader Joe’s. At WF’s, these days I’m getting the organic spring mix (baby lettuce & greens), & then add some raisins, and raw pumpkin & sunflower seeds from the bulk foods section. If still hungry (normally yes!), then I swing by TJ’s for heirloom tomatoes or some other treat.

I use the “Rawsome” book to get recipe ideas for home uncooking. I also like to sprout my own mung beans (nearly every day). I just placed an order for the 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator. I look forward to making flax bread & other treats when it gets here.

So some stores around here have recently lost a very good customer. I was addicted to freshly baked gourmet bread, and also to fried tofu with lo mein.

While I don’t see cooked vegan food as exactly evil, I decided be 100% raw for the entire year of 2008 (who wants to join me?), and see how it goes. For me, 2007 was more of a transition year (setting a new direction, donating my kitchen gear to Goodwill, buying a dehydrator, reading up, experimenting with new foods & recipes, etc.).

I feel very fortunate to have found this site! I’ve been mostly lurking for a few months, but hope to more actively participate. And when my Excalibur comes, to the goneRaw recipe section I shall go….. cheers, ron

• Hey ron4540! A complete 100% raw year? That sounds like a fun challenge. :) 2007 has been a transition “year” for me too (really I’ve only really got into raw food the past 1-2 months—only been REALLY following it the past week or so).... but I think it would be fun and definitely beneficial to commit to it for 2008.

I’m not making any promises but maybe come Jan. 1st I’ll be joining you in going 100% raw! I sure know I’d like to. We’ll just see if my detox symptoms don’t get in the way first (cravings, etc.)...

About the fried tofu.. oh yeah, that stuff was good. Bread too. I did however manage to make a great sun-dried tomato bread from this site :) Of course not like the fresh baked fluffy stuff but I love it just the same.

• Hey ron4540! A complete 100% raw year? That sounds like a fun challenge. :) 2007 has been a transition “year” for me too (really I’ve only really got into raw food the past 1-2 months—only been REALLY following it the past week or so).... but I think it would be fun and definitely beneficial to commit to it for 2008.

I’m not making any promises but maybe come Jan. 1st I’ll be joining you in going 100% raw! I sure know I’d like to. We’ll just see if my detox symptoms don’t get in the way first (cravings, etc.)...

About the fried tofu.. oh yeah, that stuff was good. Bread too. I did however manage to make a great sun-dried tomato bread from this site :) Of course not like the fresh baked fluffy stuff but I love it just the same.

• Hi. I am not yet eating raw, but I really want to. I don’t quite know where to start. My husband does the cooking – I’m not much of a cook. But to switch to raw I’m going to have to learn to do it myself. I first heard about this eating style about a year ago and looked into it a little bit. But it seemed overwhelming to me. The website I looked at talked about sprouting your grains. And dehydrating mixtures of grains, etc. It seemed like you would have to be really organized and plan ahead. Having to plan several days ahead so you can get the right things sprouted, then dehydrate the mixtures. It discouraged me.

But once again I want to try eating this way. I have very low energy and very much want to have more.

Can someone recommend a “Raw Food For Dummies” type of book. One that might help me get started in an easier way. Or can someone even give me some tips on how to get started.

I can’t eat just raw fruits and vegetables. I need something more substantial to keep me filled up – like the grains. I’ve done raw fruits and vegetables for a few days at a time, but I get so hungry and fruits and veges just don’t fill me up.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

• Hi! I’m so glad to have found this site!
    It

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

craftiekittie, hi there, if you search the forums – on the forum page you will find a lot of posts about how to get started and what books people recommend. Honestly, there is so much info on this site you will have plenty to check out.

You can have a look at my website too, we have a recommended books and websites page as well as tons of info:

http://www.purelyraw.com

My personal faves are “12 steps to raw” by victoria boutenko and “detox yor world” by Shazzie.

Advice gor transitioning and keeping you raw? nothing beats getting in the kitchen and making food. Set a goal of trying 2 or 3 new recipes a week this will build your skills and get new favouite raw meals to replace the old SAD ones. Raw uncooking is a world away from cooking, you will probably love it. Most people prefer it.

You don’t have to sprout if you don’t want to, it is a choice. I have been 100% for over 2 years and I rarely sprout.The times I do sprout it is to use the sprouts in breads and burgers and other recipes. I am certain that this will change as I progress…Others live off sprouts…people tend to go crazy on the sprouts and mono eating (just one veg or fruit at a meal) after they have been raw a whille. Your tastes change and you will want simpler foods, I yo yo between eating very simply and eating more complex recipes….but for now, in order for you to transition, you need delicious, filling, SAD food reminisant type of raw recipes…this site is heaving with them :0

• bixmaschine and Zoe – thanks for your replies. I’m feeling more encouraged now. I’m going to begin this week adding more raw veges to my diet (I already do a fair amount of fruits). I think I will do what Zoe suggested and do a somewhat slow transition at first.

I got my husband interested in helping me with this. We are going to order some books. Also, I will be reading as much as I can online here and other sites. We will practice some recipes. Then I might pick a date to go 100% raw – and just do it.

I do appreciate all of your feedback. It is beginning to feel less overwhelming now.

Zoe – I have your website bookmarked and I will be spending time there too.

CraftieKittie

• Hi everyone! I just found this site about a week ago and it’s been so much help! I’ve suffered from mood swings, hypoglycemia, and many other weird ailments up to about 6 weeks ago when I went Raw. I can’t believe what a difference it makes! I’m still working out the basics but this is definitely it. My friends are being pretty supportive but it’s still difficult doing this alone. I live in San Francisco and would love to meet other Raw Foodies and build up a support group. If anyone is interested, let me know! We could meet at Cafe Gratitude!

• Hey all. I found this site a couple of weeks ago when it was down and I was devastated because I was so desperate for recipes and support… Needless to say, I’m so grateful that it’s back up and running and everyone here is a fabulous inspiration to me.

My husband and I have been “researching” raw/living food lifestyles for several years and just haven’t been able to take the plunge or make a 100% commitment (we’re both sort of all or nothing kind of people).

We’ve been adding resources slowly – the Excalibur dehydrator, Blendtec blender, soon to upgrade our food processor – and all of these things have made a slow transition much easier.

I recently completed a 21 day faith experiment in which I chose to fast from cooked food. I could not have done it (especially during Thanksgiving) without this site! So I spent 21 days 100% raw and now I’m about 80% and needing inspiration beyond a faith experiment, which went very well, by the way.

So things I’ve noticed so far: my skin is clearing up, I can breathe more easily, I lost a few pounds, other people are noticing and asking…

• Well, hi. :D

I’m currently a vegan and I’m interested in the raw vegan lifestyle. I don’t think I’ll be going raw in the near future (I’m a teenager), but I like experimenting.

• Greetings!
    Crystalline here, from Northern Vermont on the Canadia border :)
    I’ve been on and off raw for a couple of years, really struggling with food addictions, but have come to a place now where 99.9% raw isn’t a problem. Changes being RAW has wrought upon my life are too many to mention, but I’d have to say that energy and optimism are high on the list. I am happier, kinder, friendlier, more abundant and more ALIVE than at any time in my life. My husband is a committed carnivore, but he is adding more raw to his diet as well. I see happy changes in him as he eats more real food.
    I’m happy to find a place with positive, upbeat people on the web—a rarity!
    Lots of happy blessings to all of you who are along on this journey!

• hi!
    i live in south england. i’m just starting ou, been vegetarian for 12 years, and when left to my own devices… tend to eat 80% raw. i want to take the plunge into 100%! i’m so scared though… so here for support

• Hi,

I think I’m the only raw vegan in Toronto…but thats OK!

I’ve struggled with my weight since I was 18 (many, many moons ago), and have tried all of the fad diets…Atkins (I gained weight), Weight Watchers, Dr. Bernstein, etc.

I found an article in a local newspaper regarding the Raw Food Diet, and I was intrigued. I did my research over a few months, and then on New Years Day, following a dinner of beef tenderloin, lobstertails and mushroom risotto (I love to cook!), I went raw. Simple. Raw.

I enjoy freshly made juices, green smoothies, lots of salads and fresh fruit. My only non-raw items that I induge in are canned beans (occasionally – I don’t have time to sprout), honey and herbal teas. I occasionally grab a bite of whatever I cooked for my daughter and husband (a Meat And Potatoes kind of guy), just for a taste, but I would say 90% of what I have eaten for the past 18 days has been raw.

I haven’t yet investigated some of the things I have seen in the postings…stevia, agave nectar, maca, etc., but I’m sure I’ll get more creative as I get more comfortable with this new way of eating.

Thanks for your support!

• Hi everyone! I’ve been vegetarian for 15 years, and I’ve been raw on and off for about 5 years. Sometimes more raw, sometimes less…it’s hard for me to be 100% raw because my family is so not raw.

Tinkerbelly,
    No you’re not…I’m in Toronto too. :)

Dancin Durian,
    I have also been inclined to eat raw all my life. I was even labelled “salad queen” by my friend’s parents. I would delight in picking berries from the forest and stealing tomatoes from my mother’s garden.

BTW, I tried a Durian last summer for the first time. It was once frozen…is that the only way to buy them in North America? In all honesty, it wasn’t bad, but I wondered if it might be better if it weren’t frozen?

• Hello there. I’m writing from Cape Town. I have also always kind of gravitated to salads and simple eating, feeling lighter and cleaner and generally healthier as a result. Somehow in the last months going Raw became a thought and I’ve kind of just gone with it as it seems to be the right time and has just kind of happened. Not 100% raw as yet but heading in that general direction. Here for ideas, support and discussion.

• Ez all…
    Just finished my first master cleanse & have been drooling over the recipes on this site!!
    Been vegetarian for 16yrs. I want 100% raw so also here for support & advice.
    love & peace x

• hello everyone im priscilla wow i just cant believe how awesum this site is! im 29 and finally the light has been turned on! research on the computer has brought me to raw and im totally amazed by what i have read. I mean how could anyone disagree? i dont no any raw or vegan people never have so i am going on my own instincts with this it just seems so right! i dont have any health issues i just wanna be healthy and natural i hate thinking of all the #a they put into our food! this is gunna be an amazing journey thankyou so much for this site im loving it! p.s i do need to lose some weight :)