Soaking Wild Rice

I have been soaking some organic wild rice for almost 24 hours and it has not split yet. It's softer, yes, but definitely not where it should be at this point. What am I doing wrong? All the literature I have read says 24 hours is suitable soaking time, but it's just not happening. Anyone have advice or tips?

Thank you!!! :)

Comments

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I don't think it has to split open, just make sure to change your water often. taste and see if its soft enough.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

On another thread, daniefon offered this: "I usually soak it in the refridgerator until it starts to split. it seems to me that it takes a couple of days. I change the water daily." There is also some information on sprouting rice at sproutpeople.com. They recommend changing the water more often . . . every 12 hours I think.

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

is this a good thing to do? it seems like rice would be hard to digest.

• i've soaked wild rice. It can take three or four days. You have to refrigerate it, or it goes bad. Changing the water every few hours is also a good idea. Eventually, it will split, and when it does, it's very tasty. Just be prepared to wait a while :-)

• UncleAidanUncleAidan Raw Newbie
    The variety of wild rice might have something to do with it. I know that most stuff out there is paddy grown (farmed hybrid variety of Asian species crossed with American wild rice) so that's no good. The real ancient stuff has a lot of variety. It varies from lake to lake and region tremendously. But to classify it there's two main recognized species. The Canadian species is black with a tough outer layer. And the minisotta species, which is usually tan or brown with no outer shell. It's also easier to cook so I imagine it's easier to soak. The farmed wild rice is black and resembles the Canadian species. Wild rice is not raw since its parched with high heat. The brand Bineshii sells minisotta, raw eaters variety which they use a very low heat to parch. Maybe you could grind it into flour and pour warm water over to make pourage. Or use the raw flour to make crackers. Good luck and hope this helps!
    TammiTrueClaireT