Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

One Meal A Day

flodadolflodadol Raw Newbie

I've been eating one meal per day on and off for the past year, and I find I feel best eating this way; right now I've been at it for about 3 weeks....

I typically eat between 9am - 12pm

Here's an example of what I may eat:

• 3 Bananas
  • 2 oz Brazil Nuts
  • 1/2 C. Raw Steel Cut Oats
  • 2 Apples
  • Cucumber Tomato Spinach Salad
  • Whole Cantaloupe
  • Raisins or Similar

I'm interested if anybody else does this.

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

How are you not hungry until the next morning? I think that I would pass out!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Wow I dont think I could ever do that, i need to eat every couple of hours in order to keep me going. Im not trying to pry but how are you getting enough calories?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Also, what's the point of eating only 1 meal a day? Can't you eat the same amount but space it out throughout the day? At least you would have more sustained energy.

• flodadolflodadol Raw Newbie

I maintain my weight no problem, I'm male, 5'9 145 lbs.

And...I feel better while I'm in a semi-fasting state, I can think better, and I just feel better. I don't get tired, my body seems to be pretty efficient.

michaelgoromjr
  • the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

That is just terrible. Enjoy your mineral deficiencies.

Rondreka

Actually, back in June I had a blood test done specifically to check for any deficiencies, including blood protein levels, and all were perfect.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Wow, I would be in serious trouble if I ate this way. I need to eat every few hours.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

do you have any problems sleeping? whenever i skip dinner it's like i can never fall asleep.

I usually only sleep 4-6 hours a night, no problems falling asleep.

• ktkt Raw Newbie

i find that eating less gives me lots of energy so if i know i am going to be in for a long day and need to stay focused and alert for hours i will eat one meal full of greens, nuts and fruit. i beleive i have a slow metabolism so i do not get as hungry as others might. i do this about twice a week and feel fine. i would do it more often if i was more motivated.

michaelgoromjr
  • I have never eaten just one meal a day over a length of time but I have done it before and I know exactly what you mean. I find that I am so much more productive and clear headed on an empty stomach, however unlike you I tend to eat towards the end of the day, I work best this way.

Would you eat all of that bullet list in one sitting?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I do feel much better when I am eating less so I can understand this... although if I ate what you have listed, no doubt I would only be able to eat once a day... I can't handle food combinations like that and I would be bloated and ill feeling the rest of the day! lol

Different things work for different people!

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I don't do it on an ongoing basis, but frequently go dinner-to-dinner to stay in a fasting state as much as possible too. I used to do regular 36-hour water-only fasts but haven't been so much lately. It is just one of many strategies I use in healing from MS. Have done a few Master Cleanses as well, and will be doing another 10-day next month. It's funny, whenever I'm doing a water fast or a Master Cleanse, I sleep like a ROCK. It's one of the things I really look forward to...catching up on some good sleep. :)

• i have tried this and also i wanna try the once every two days withs water fast in between , it feeels awesome, for the short time i did it was wonderful and would love to do it for the rest of my life if possible, i actually enjoy the times when i am on fasts , `feels good to be" hungry" at times`

Would you eat all of that bullet list in one sitting?

Yes, I typically will have consumed everything listed within 15 - 20 minutes; my stomach has learned to hold a good amount of food :D

• I do not do this and I don't think it would work for me but if it works for you then more power to you! We are all different and if it feels right then go for it!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

i agree that if it feels good for you, go for it, but it seems to be low on calories, fruit, and darky leafy vegetables.

• Have you read Quantum Eating by Tonya Zavasta. It is about eating like this. I am still reading the book its really very good. I have stoped eating solids after 5pm now I have a green juice when I get home from work/gym and I find I sleep so much better. In the book Tonya states she dosn't eat or drink anything inc water after 2pm each day. IT also talks about dry fasting being even better for you than water fasting. The body is dry fasting when sleeping so Tonya lenghtens the time she dry fasts each day by not eating/drinking after 2pm.

Last night we went for a family meal out so I had a salad at about 8.30pm and my sleep really disturbed I am really tired today. Interesting to find this happening.

I recommend this book if you are interested in eating this way.

K

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Flodadol, I'm very interested in this way of eating. How long have you been raw?

My body is currently going through big changes (I've been raw for almost 3 years) and I'm having difficulty listening to it.

I often don't eat until around 15:00 but then I tend to eat late into the night as I worry I'm not getting enough nutrients! I'm aware that this is just psychological and I'm slowly changing the way I think.

I always feel best when my stomach is empty or almost empty.

-----------------

• Flodadol, it it works best for you, that's great! You are probably more advanced and can get some nutrients from prana as well.

The eating style is not for someone like me who wants to lose body fat because when you don't eat for an extended period of time, the metabolism goes way down.

• in all fairness, I think people should back off a little and understand that everyone, every last person, is different.

I used to eat much this way too, except I'd eat a little later in the evening. I also feel as if I can function better on less, and I've never ever had an issue with deficiencies.

I can't eat this way anymore, I think my metabolism is higher or something, because I'm hungry every 2-3 hours or so now days.

but seriously dude, if it works for you, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. And it sounds like what you eat is probably just about 1200 calories which is what is needed for normal body functions...or so they say. (I have thrived on less)

If it's not because of a fixation on being thin or something, I don't see why not.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

I'm like a cow, I must graze lightly through out the day lol. Big meals are Ok, but I keep eating soon after - its annoying since my work I cant eat when I feel like and my belly rumbles easily!

I think maybe because when I eat light I eat things that pass through quickly then it doesnt keep my full for long. But most herbivores, frugivores etc seem to do the same, so I'm not alone. :P

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Wow, I would be so moody if I ate like this that I think the people around me would be force-feeding me by 6 pm:-)

I can deal with hunger for a little while but when I'm really starving, I cannot concentrate on my work well and get horrible headaches-- it's interesting that it's just the opposite for some people.

• Hello im glad i finally someone out there who eats one meal a day like i do and ive been doing this off and on since 1998 but lately its been a little difficult because around three oclock in the late evening i start craving sugar and carboyhdrates and i would love for these cravings to go away for good. It bothers me sometimes until almost midnight and i feel horrible if i give into it. Anyway i also stumbled upon a site called intermittent fasting and i was wondering if youve ever heard of this. I figured out that this is what i have been doing for awhile now but i didnt know there was a name for it. The cravings fro sugar seem all in my head and i noticed that if i give into it i will gain weight,but if i stay true to one meal a day then i wont if i dont eat after 3 oclock. I dont eat raw though but i try to eat healthy because i avoid fast food and i only eat once as long as i dont give into cookies and sugar and sweets late in the evening. If you have any advice for me id appreciate it. thanks.

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

those combinations are terrible. at least, for me. i would have flatulence like a mother, and would likely go mad and binge on nonraw, poss. nonvegan stuff, because i would feel i am depriving myself.

i agree with avl; try spacing it out.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

Fasting can be a really great thing to give your digestive system a rest and if you can handle it, power to you, but DUDE, do you swallow your food whole or something?!? to eat all that in under 20 minutes?

Not that I've timed myself, but I think to properly chew 2 apples would be at least 5 minutes

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Hmm, didn't think he was asking for any advice in the original post...

• Hey man I'm kind of like you, although I'll typically eat twice a day. I've been like this all my life I just can't eat every 3-5 hours like I would if I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also eat very quickly too, and we also have very a similar build (5' 8" 150 lbs). Although I sleep more than you usually about 7-8 hours.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

that is some crazy willpower! even if i'm full all i can think about is what my next meal will be! I wish I could try that though. I bet you feel great the next morning.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

well I don't really eat meals. I just sort of eat fruit all day. but I do know what you mean by that fasting energy you get all day. that is something you can also achieve by refraining from heavy "raw" food. it is really good though, when you have eaten very lightly at night and then the next day you have a lot of energy. heavy eating at night (even early evening) can be a factor in poor sleep, energy next day, etc, etc. maybe you should try eating one large meal in the earlyish/middle part of day and throughout the day fill in with some fruit. separate those nuts from the fruit tho.