Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Buckwheat

Is it "okay" to eat raw, unsprouted buckwheat groats?

Comments

• Yes, but soak first. At least 8 hrs, then dehydrate them (or just spread them out and let them dry out) and store them in an airtight container. Keeps for a good long while.

Then you can use them any way you want. As cereal, or as a raw granola (add any goodies you like with both) & in desserts.

Yum!

• I use buckwheat groats to make cookies and bread in my dehydrator. After I soak them I grind them and they form a really sticky dough. I top them with jelly I make out of chia seeds and fruit. I also have a good recipe on my web-site for bread. It's on the recipe tab at www.kgardener.com.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Oh my gosh, I never would have thought of this. Thank you! I'm always looking for something new to add because I need to rotate my foods so I don't develop new sensitivities/allergies. I bet this *does* make a yummy raw granola!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Buckwheat really is amazing stuff! So versatile.

You can make porridge: http://goneraw.com/recipe/buckwheat-porridge

or panckaes: http://goneraw.com/node/12464

or snack bars: http://goneraw.com/recipe/sweet-buckwheat-energy-bar

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Mmm Buckwheat granola. Something you should always have buckets of!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I second buckwheat granola its so delicious!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I soak buckwheat groats for 3-4 hours and eat them without dehydrating, as the base for a salad I make. It's a staple for me, SO nutritious and tastes great! Also, it has a sort of grounding property I think, functions like a carby base for flavours, sort of like cooked rice.

I'll post a recipe soon, but basically it's about a cup of soaked, rinsed, un-sprouted, un-dehydrated raw buckwheat groats, with chopped fresh tomato, sun dried tomato, plenty of fresh herbs, mushrooms (key), fresh corn, and some avocado if desired. Add either celtic salt or soy sauce to taste, and a bit of agave if you want a touch of sweetness. My non-raw friends love it!

• Thanks everyone!

I've also heard you shouldn't soak buckwheat for more than 15 minutes....? Truth?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

nope, not truth! you have to soak them for several hours. you just don't want to eat the greens (which take days to grow)

• Okay, thank you, bitt!

• When you sprout the soaked buckwheat berries, then dehydrate them dry, they turn into little crunchy air puffs! Much better soaked, sprouted and dehydrated.

• I love raw buckwheat ive been eating 3 cups of it everyday, but its been a week since i stopped, I felt that if I continued eating dehydrated buckwheat I would gain weight, would I? I dont eat any other fats. Should I continue eating it?

• adas1adas1 Raw Newbie

Please be careful with raw buckwheat sprouts as they contain a toxin that causes sensitivity to light and should be avoided in large amounts. Please do your medical research. There is a good article I found that compiles references to research: http://www.townsendletter.com/Dec2004/buckwheat1204.htm

• bethd2934bethd2934 Raw Newbie

Buckwheat Cacao Crispies.....

1 cup soaked dehydrated buckwheat crispy groats
    1/2 cup melted coconut oil
    1/2 cup raw cacao or carob powder
    1/2 cup pure maple syrup or raw agave/coconut nectar

Mix all together, place in cupcake liners to form small "patties", place in refridgerator for at least an hour or more until set, and you have a delicious treat!!! sealed

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

This got me thinking. Is there a master list anywhere of foods that cannot be eaten in their purely raw form?

• annam5992annam5992 Raw Newbie

Hi all

Thanks for reminding me how fab buckwheat is .I'm returning to a raw (ish aiming for 60-70%) diet after some years away.

I used to make pizza bases  out of it .It was probably the only thing that ever came out of my dehydrator ok .If I remember it was a simple recipe along the lines of buckwheat /oil /basil bit of water and salt blend and dehydrate .

morning buckwheat porrage on the menu for me tomos . 

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Buckwheat pizza sounds good!

• kim72kim72 Raw Newbie

I use buckwheat a lot.  I take 2/3 cup, put it in fine strainer, rinse it for 30 seconds, put it in mason jar and cover it with about 3 inches of water for 30 minutes.  Put screened lid on mason jar, pour out water then put fresh in and rinse for three times.  Pour out water, lay jar on its side and then rinse three times a day.  By a day and a half, you will notice roots sprouting from buckwheat groats.  You can wait til the second day if you want or rinse then again in the jar, pour out the water, drain well and then put sprouted groats in tupperware container.  I then mix about half of what I made with about 3 tablespoons of fruit yogurt, stir it up and eat it raw.  Makes a great tasty chewy cold cereal.

ClaireT
  • sabrinasabrina Raw Jr. Leader

Check out my raw vegan granola recipe.  It's made with buckwheat :) https://www.rawveganbeauty.net/single-post/2018/02/14/Raw-Vegan-Sprouted-Granola ;

ClaireT