Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do chia seeds need soaking?

Just wondering if anyone knows if chia seeds require soaking for digestiblity like other nuts/seeds? I am using the seeds in a pesto/chia chip recipe. If anyone knows and could let me know that would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

No there fine without soaking:), infact you can eat them straight from the spoon etc.

Some people make chia gel which is chia mixed with water but again its not necessary.

• I love chia seeds. I eat them sprinkled on top of salads! No soaking required.

• Thank you both so very much for answering my question. As we are very new to raw foods I have been trying different cracker recipes for our children. Thanks again both of you!!

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Do not soak!!! They absorb ten times their weight in moisture, so... if you soak you're going to be in trouble!

• Do chia seeds not have enzyme inhibitors like other nuts and seeds that require soaking?

They dont rawsweetwendy, so no need to soak, like i say you can eat them straight from the spoon.

• I like to soak them, I make lovely puddings, jellies and creams with soaked chia seeds, you can soak them with water, juice, almond mylk, anything... great for dipping sauces too.

I also make a chia, apple, cinnamon pudding in the morning which I call my chia oatmeal, so good!

deasmiles sounds nice:), do you have any recipes your willing to share especially the pudding and jellies? Im not very adventurous when it comes to food.

Cheers

• Thank you deasmiles! My understanding was that chia seeds contained enzyme inhibitors similar to other nuts and seeds that interfere with digestion. That is why nuts and seeds require soaking. The apple, cinnamon, chia pudding sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe for it. I am very interested in it. Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them.

• musiclvr56musiclvr56 Raw Newbie

I put chia seeds in my smoothie without soaking them.  Does not soaking versus soaking them have the same nutritional value?  Thanks!

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

As long as you are going to use the water (or whatever they're being soaked in. Deasmiles ideas sound lovely), then I don't think that you would lose any of the nutritional value. Most nutrients that get wasted are the ones that get tossed out with the water. 

• Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar

I believe that the nutrients are easier to absorb and digest when the seeds are soaked, so go ahead and soak them all you want! 

• tierneyrtierneyr Raw Newbie

I usually let it soak overnight, though it isn't necessary to soak that long. You should soak it till it forms a paste/gel like consistency and it would take at least 2-3 hours, though this website claims under ten minutes (time might vary depending on the batch of the seeds). You could also soak it in any juice or fruit extract as well.

Additionally, you can also use it in its raw form without soaking, the way one would use poppy/sesame seeds.

ClaireT
  • LushKokoLushKoko Raw Newbie

No there fine without soaking:), infact you can eat them straight from the spoon etc.

Some people make chia gel which is chia mixed with water but again its not necessary.

• LushKokoLushKoko Raw Newbie

It is risky if you do not soak them. Chia seeds have the ability to expand  up to 27 times their normal weight in water. Because of this, if the seeds get lodged and expand in your esophagus or stomach lining, it can cause an obstruction and can be quite difficult for the doctor to remove. There have been many E.R. cases relating to obstrucions in the espohagus and bowel caused by consuming un-soaked chia seeds. Here are a couple of articles you can check out for yourself on why it is important to soak chia seeds before consumption. http://www.webmd.com/diet/20141021/use-chia-seeds-with-caution-researcher-warns and the other one: http://www.healwithfood.org/constipation/chia-seeds-cause-relief.php

Chia seeds are an awesome super-food, but it's also a great idea to play it smart and do some research before hand.  

Stay healthy and be safe!

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Wow. I never knew there was any danger involved in eating raw chia seeds. I've done it more times than I can count. Thanks for sharing the article, LushKoko. 

• jacksonpjacksonp Raw Newbie

Be sure to pick up the white or black seeds and avoid red seeds, which are immature.

• jacksonpjacksonp Raw Newbie

Thank you deasmiles! My understanding was that chia seeds contained enzyme inhibitors similar to other nuts and seeds that interfere with digestion. That is why nuts and seeds require soaking. The apple, cinnamon, chia pudding sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe for it. I am very interested in it. Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them.

Here's a recipe for Cashew Chia Seeds Pudding http://getgreensmoothies.com/cashew-chia-pudding/ you might like. smile

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master
    jacksonp said:

Be sure to pick up the white or black seeds and avoid red seeds, which are immature.

Good to know!