Subsidized/Artificially Cheapened Food?

OK, so I've read that the government uses our tax money to subsidize certain agricultural productions, such as corn, soy, etc. And stuff that turns into unhealthy SAD food.

However, people are so used to the relatively low-set price level. People EXPECT that a frozen meal won't cost more than $3, etc.

Hypothetically, how do you think the people would be affected if food subsidies were to cease? Would hunger and malnutrition be much more common if everything was naturally/organically produced (let's assume), but still cost more than what people were used to? Emaciation/underweight issues? Or do you think that this would be a positive thing, and likely to reduce American obesity, etc.

For god's sake, a simple bag of raw cookies cost $10. Conventional cookies for the same snack package size would be less than $3.

What if people had to pay those kinds of prices? (OK, ok, so I'm really asking for you to hypothetize the scenario of ONLY raw food being available...for the same prices we currently think of as outrageous).

Comments

• I'm not totally answering your question, but my guess is that most people aren't even aware that things are happening to their corn and soy. GMO's disgust me, though.