Sprouting Grains!

I've been trying to sprout buckwheat a few times now, with no luck. I've read different things: soak for 6 hours, soak for 1 hour, soak for 1/2 an hour, and even soak only for 5 min. I've rinsed and soaked and rinsed but to no avail. I really want this to work! It smells nutty and wonderful, but without the little tails I am doubtful of their being sprouted. I don't have a sprouter or anything, I've only used a regular strainer and let them sit in it over a bowl after soaking.

Also, what about other grains? And nuts?

I've just come across so many different p.o.v.s that I'd rather hear people's personal accounts, which will give me a better feel for it. For nuts is soaking essentially the same thing as sprouting, or does it have to have a tail to be sprouted? Is the benefit much different?

Thank you thank you for your insight!

Comments

• Buckwheat should be easy to sprout. I soak for an hour, rinse really well and then leave out and by 24-48 hours (depending on the weather) I have tails.

I would suggest you try another brand of buckwheat. If your seeds (buckwheat are actually seeds) have been irradiated then they are 'dead' and won't sprout.

Other grains I sprout regularly are wheat, rye, millet, amaranth, oats and quinoa. Take a look at my blog post on sprouting grains here: http://www.pathlesstrodden.com/how-to-sprout-3-of-3-grains/

With nuts I usually just soak, it's harder to actually get a sprout. Soaking removes the enzyme inhibitors and makes it easier for you to digest.

Hope thie helps,

Alison

• Keep them in the dark.