sprout bag alfalfa failure!!

matteomatteo Raw Newbie

Hello i bought an organic hemp sprouter bag and started with some alfalfa seeds....i put 3 spoons of seeds in the bag and let it soak  in water the first night...

now after 5 days (i kept it humid all the time) there are some timid sprouts but mostly still undone and i can see there is some sort of gel formed and it started to smell a bit not too bad yet but i have the feeling that is not gonna work out...

what went wrong? i bought the bag cause i heard is the easiest and safest way to avoid mold!

i should say that the seeds are a bit old (maybe 3 years) but always been in a packaged vacuum sealed plastic bag....also it's pretty hot even in the house this summer...

maybe 3 spoons is too much?

too much water? not enough water.?

... i remember 3 years ago i had a plastic sprouter and at some point i gave up because with alfalfa (my favorite!) i had the same problem of mold....!!

and i read everywhere in the web that sprouting is super easy!!! ennoying and frustrating!!!

TammiTrue

Comments

• TammyTammy Raw Newbie

Sometimes the seeds can be the issue.  Try sproutpeople.com.  They have very high quality, organic seeds and many people who've had issues with mold and failure to sprout report that this problem becomes much better after using seeds from this source.  I am fairly new to sprouting and have only used their seeds and have had no issue so far.  Also - lots of tutorials etc on that website to help.

ClaireT