Happy to be here!

wildebeestwildebeest Raw Newbie

Hiya!

2016 has been my year of challenge and change, and it's been totally worth it. I left a toxic work environment (with a lot of toxic coworkers) in May for a job that I feel really good about and my new employers treat me with the respect I deserve. This is such a good feeling. The toxic job environment was I think a key contributing factor to my weight gain (25lbs in 5 years, not huge) and increasingly bad anxiety. I used to get so stressed out that I'd binge on a lot of white food (flour, rice, refined sugar, etc). I'm privileged enough to have access to more nutritious food than just white rice.

This summer I was getting a lot of stomach aches and cramps, both of which are unusual for me, along with the seemingly perpetual feeling of being mildly hungover, despite drinking on average 3 beers a week. Turned out I have a gluten allergy! I've been gluten free for over a month now and I feel so much better.

I've been a vegetarian since I was about 9 years old, so 21 years! As soon as I knew what vegetarianism meant and that I identified with it, I asked my parents if it was something I could do. They said yes and I'm forever grateful that they supported my choice.

As of last week I have started a mostly raw plant based vegan diet. I've been trying to eat at least one raw meal a day, I'd like to increase to 2 in the future. So far it's been so great. I feel like I'm learning a lot about food and appreciating the foods I eat. I want raw foods to be part of a personal lifestyle change. 

I joined this community to meet and connect with others, get recipes, and tips for leading a happy, healthy, raw lifestyle.

So hello!

ClaireT

Comments

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hello and welcome! It's great to have another long-term vegetarian here. I hope you let us know how your new goals are going!

I've always wondered about gluten, but I don't eat much of it these days, so I haven't had to wonder too much. smile