Can I use fresh shredded coconut instead of the dry one?

anewmeanewme Raw Newbie

Hi everyone,

I just found this site a couple of weeks ago and I am totally in love with it.

I would like to give a try to a couple of recipes during the weekend and I was wondering if I can use fresh shredded coconut instead of the desiccated one.  If so I have to use the same quantity or in case of fresh product the amount to be used will change? 

This afternoon I will go to buy a vitamix, but OMG in the country where I live is almost the double of the price compared to the USA prize !  :-(

Thanks!

Sonia

ClaireT

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi Sonia. Welcome!

I think it depends on the recipe. It could require some experimentation. You may have to add a little bit less liquid to make up for the the fresh coconut in a few cases. Or if a recipe needs the coconut to be turned into a flour, then you might have to dry/dehydrate it some first. 

What country are you from?

anewme
  • anewmeanewme Raw Newbie

Thanks Claire for your answer ! 

I am Italian but I live in Dubai where everything is so expensive ! 

ClaireT
  • CreativelyccCreativelycc Raw Jr. Leader

Hi Anewme. 

Could you buy a Vitamix online instead of at a store. They sell them on QVC at a great price.

The best of luck to you!

Carrie

ClaireT

Thanks for the suggestion Carrie 

• 5515355153 Raw Newbie
    anewme said:

Hi everyone,

I just found this site a couple of weeks ago and I am totally in love with it.

I would like to give a try to a couple of recipes during the weekend and I was wondering if I can use fresh shredded coconut instead of the desiccated one.  If so I have to use the same quantity or in case of fresh product the amount to be used will change? 

This afternoon I will go to buy a vitamix, but OMG in the country where I live is almost the double of the price compared to the USA prize !  :-(

Thanks!

Sonia

• 5515355153 Raw Newbie

Hi, I haven't seen the link to the site you have found. Which one is it? 

anewme said:

Thanks Claire for your answer ! 

I am Italian but I live in Dubai where everything is so expensive ! 

Nice :)

I have visited Italy (Roma) a few times.

I haven't had a chance to see Dubai. What are the fruit and veggie prices like there?

anewme

Hi Claire,

Fruits are fery expensive as almost all them are imported.

Quite a few veggies are grown locally so prices are not bad.  You can still  buy the imported one though.

ClaireT

At least they still have the local veggies. I always worry about expensive locations having crazy prices on food.