Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food Combining

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any good information on food combining? I was told recently that you shouldn’t mix bananas with berries in a smoothie and am wondering if I am not combining other things properly. If you have any information or know of a good website could you please let me know!

Thanks!

Comments

• I think it’d be a good idea if we used this thread as a place to finally discuss whether raw foodies need to follow food combining laws or not. I hear from some things that we don’t.. and others say we do. i’m in the dark!

• I don’t follow food combining strictly at all, but I’m trying to a little more lately. Natalia Rose’s book was helpful, not so complicated as other food combining rules I’ve heard. Try reading her book. I reccomend it.

• Hi

My opinion is it’s not going to hurt you if you combine different food groups inappropriately. The only reason they recommend certain combinations good/bad is from digestion and assimmilation perspective. The better you digest your food the more you can assimilate, and you get most benefit from the food you eat.

Having said that, I must also add that I’m not a strict follower of any food-combining rules, but I try to keep my meals as simple as possible. The following are some simple rules I try my best to follow to the best of my abilities:

1. Always eat fruits from melon family alone, or better leave them. The fruits that fall into this category are watermelon/honeydew melon/cantaloupe/cucumber etc.

2. Nuts take longer to digest and always eat them as last thing of a meal after which you’re not going to eat anything for atleast 3-4 hrs or better eat them seperately.

3. Try to eat fruit as a sepearte meal/snack.

• I follow food combining law pretty strictly. The reasons for this are pretty simple.

My body has an easier time breaking down one kind of food at a time. Fruits pass thorugh much faster than fats and when these groups are combined, the fruit will ferment. This causes indegestion for me and ireegular trips to the bathroom.

Naturally, food combining makes sense aswell. In nature, seldom does one find peach tree next to a pear tree nest to an walnut tree next to a berry patch. I believe that this is why the body is not adapted to digest these foods in combination.

I’m not saying that theses laws should be followed by every one, its just what I do. I’m also doing 80/10/10 and it is really working for me. My body craves mostly fruit and the small amount of fat I eat is almost always avocado. I also crave foods that are combined according to what I my body wants.

I’d be really interested to hear what others have to say especially other 80/10/10er’s. I know that some of the top raw fooders like david wolfe, stpehen arlin, and almost all the chefs don’t combine like I do. So obviously other things are working for other people.

James

• Nagev, you sure have it down! Long ago the number one activity of man was finding food to survive. They would walk for hours until they found food. Usually it would be a tree full of ripe fruit. Do you think they would pick one mango and move on to look for another kind of food because they were bored with mangoes after spending probably 5 or 6 hours looking for food? I doubt that! They would spend the next 3 days or more eating mangoes and only mangoes until they were all gone. Doesn’t this sound like our body was designed to consume one food at a time? It’s very simple and logical. In my opinion anyone who says anything else is just trying to support their own agenda which is not in the best interest of your health but probably in their own bank accounts.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I posted this link on another form but found it quite interesting. It’s called sequential eating and is based around studies done which show that the stomach actually digests food in layers, depending on what was eaten first.

Also, vitamin-C helps you absorb iron. I use Brendan Brazier’s orange salad dressing recipe for this. It uses oranges, pumpkin seeds, and some oils.

I think I’ll be checking out Natalia Rose’s book.

• This site has a good food combining chart to print out and put up on your fridge or wherever.

http://www.alderbrooke.com/chart.htm

• Would someone explain the 80/10/10 thing? Thanks

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

80/10/10 is basically a diet that you get 80% of your calories from carbs, 10 from fat, and another 10% from protein. the things that i read about it basically said to eat fruit ost of the day and have a loaded salad at night.