The rawness or non-rawness of nuts

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Here are the nuts I know of that are truly raw under certain conditions:
Hazelnuts (or filberts). From what I understand, if it says “raw,” they are truly raw.
Cashews, only raw from certain raw food sources, like David Wolfe.
Almonds, only raw directly from farmers in quantities less than 100 pounds.
Walnuts, raw?? I’m not sure.
Macademia nuts, raw when it says they’re raw, right?
Brazil nuts, raw when it says they’re raw.

Can you guys add to this list or add information about the nuts I’ve already mentioned?

Comments

• Hello Rawvoice:
    I do know that most raw Macadamia nuts aren’t really raw. I ordered some truly raw Macadamia’s and they were very moist and the packaging stated a very short shelf life , not at all like the raw ones in the health food store. Zoe and Chris have an informative website I think it’s purelyraw.com ( hope I’m remembering correctly ). It has a dead food list and unfortunately a lot of foods sold as ‘raw’ are not raw at all.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You also need to be careful of pecans, because the industry standard for quite a few years has been to use hot steam to pastuerize the shells before they are finally shelled. Some companies now, to save money, are dipping the pecans(with shells) into bleach water—cold water method—the meat shouldn’t be touched at all by the bleach. Anyhow, I always write to the companies and ask if they use hot steam method or cold water(bleach) method. I buy if they use cold water method, because I can check myself for bleach residue. Or I guess if you find a store that is really shelling without any treatment, you can buy from them if you trust them and if you can afford it. Look at the pecan meat—if it is dark, don’t buy it. Pecan nuts should be a goldish-light to medium brown, never dark brown.