Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Traveling Tips... Please!

Hi Folks, I have been dabbling in Raw for a couple of years now and have recently made a determination to stay 80 – 90% raw. (My family is not completely sold on it) My dilemma is that I will be traveling to the US for a week (Petaluma, CA).Because I am not very experienced, I’m not certain how to hold my resolve.
I would greatly appreciate any tips on traveling and maintaining a raw diet. Thank You, Amigovia

Comments

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Amigovia,I believe that California has many places to eat raw food,or some great salads. Every time that I go back to my Country I eat a lot salad,fruits,juices,and on the plain I ask for a vegetarian meal and eat only the salad. From now on I’ll take some goji berries,cacao,and onion bread. I’ll do a fast too.I am thinking that if I travel by car,I’ll do a water fast at leat until I’ll get to a good restaurant that has a salad.Also I’ll bring some protein bars too.

• Thank you Lucy, I like the idea of fasting for a bit while traveling. That sounds easy. I know that California has some amazing salad restaurants, and I look forward to trying some
    . I also like the idea of taking a little of my own dried foods in my handbag. I appreciate your help, Amigovia

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Hi Amigovia… my first forum post was about raw travel too…I had come back from a trip feeling somewhat ‘lost’ in physical and mental terms after going from strength to strength on raw food at home. What I learned from the feedback and retrospective thinking was: Next time I will make sure that I journey with lots of wet fruit and veg (cucumbers/salad/fruit salad and juice) and then while my body adjusts to the new place keep it very simple.
    I will take digestive enzymes for the times that I ‘fall down’ (travelling is about new experiences and sharing meals even in a non-raw way, can fall into this category so the enzymes are to help in the assimilation and ‘detox’ of anything unhealthy you do consume).
    I would make a point of seeking out a place where I could have a spa and steam (and maybe even a massage) to balance and revitalise and ‘keep faith’ with my best intentions…possibly even a local yoga or pilates class – which could lead to finding out good healthy local drop in eateries etc.
    I would take lots of coconut oil and eat and annoint myself with it daily and maybe even a few nuts to soak and dried fruit for the times I want to eat in.
    ANd when I am out I would keep to the healthiest choices on the menu – salads or steamed stuff and, with the salads, ask for the dressing to be served on the side in case it’s not ‘right’ for you…and call for lemons if that’s the case :)

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

The other forum about travel is on page 6 of this topic tree Amigovia…my brain doesn’t want to learn how to post links yet :)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I just travelled for the first time since becoming fairly raw. It wasn’t as tough as I thought. I was in Virginia for four days for work. I picked up two raw revolution bars in the airport which helped bail me out. I grabbed a couple of bananas and an orange each morning from the hotel breakfast. I had packed a few apples, raw cookies, almonds. For meals, I stuck with big salads and for dinner, fish twice and vegetable fajitas with raw avo and tomatoes at a mexican place. The fish was a no no, but overall I thought I did pretty well and still enjoyed going out to eat and such.

• Thank you all so much. I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I feel better equipped that I did a couple of days ago. I hadn’t thought of taking enzymes or of the pre-packaged raw bars. As I write this, I am dehydrating soem fruit and nut bars for the trip. I think I was having a stress attack without cause. I am grateful to have this web site, and all of you as recources. Amigovia

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I found a great blog post on traveling in the raw – what to take, etc:

http://rawroyalty.blogspot.com/2008/03/leaving-...