Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cilantro - How much per day is safe?

OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

I love cilantro! I just made a 10 oz smoothie containing one bunch of cilantro and parsley along with 2 apples. I know that cilantro is a good detox food, it removes heavy metals out of the body. So I’m wondering how much cilantro per day is actually safe and won’t promote me to detox too much. Anyone know? I read that pestos that contain cilantro and/or parsley should only be consumed in small amounts, like such as 1-2 tablespoons per day. Can’t find any relevant info on the net either for dosage. Any help would be great, thanks!

ClaireT

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I would be careful with cilantro. It doesn’t detox, it mobilizes mercury. You should eat something like chlorella or brown seaweed (alginates) with the cilantro to bind it, otherwise you might have redistribution or reabsorption of metals. Cilantro crosses the blood brain barrier. Every time that I took a chelating product with cilantro, I had weakness and light-headedness. I ate a small amount today and it didn’t bother me. A whole bunch might have knocked me to my knees. I would say that we can all tolerate different amounts.

ClaireT
  • OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

Hmm…that may be why I feel kind of weak tonight. I didn’t drink the entire cup as I wasn’t sure I should, I’m glad I didn’t. So things should be okay if I take a Chlorella capsule everytime I drink the cilantro? Do you know if normal parsley acts the same? I know cilantro is a chinese parsley, but what about the normal kind? Thanks for the reply.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Fascinating! I had no idea that cilantro crosses the blood brain barrier. Grapes cross the brain barrier too. I wonder what else do…

Parsley is a totally different plant. They’re both herbs and herbs have interesting healing properties…or poisonous properties if you eat the wrong ones (belladonna for example).

Nuts and seeds contain choline and phenylalanin, both cross the BBB and enhance your mood. Phenylalanin is in protein foods. Flaxseed does that as well. It also contains DHEA. Omega 3 fats cross the BBB. These things don’t move metals though.

http://www.lifetechnology.org/blog/2006/08/brai…

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Here is a pesto recipe from a free book on John Barron’s website:
    1 cup packed cilatro leaves
    6 TBSP olive oil
    Process this in a blender of processor until chopped well.
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 cup soaked almonds or nut of choice (pine nuts would work well, no soaking required)
    2 TBSP lemon juice
    blend or process to a lumpy paste

Eat 2 tsp per day for 3 wks. Repeat 2 to 3 time per year.

patw4
  • OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

123 – I had no idea! You know a lot about this, I tried doing some research last night on parsley. It’s definitely different than cilantro..which I’m glad because I love having it in my smoothies. Thanks for all the great information!!

Thanks for the recipe deborahann :) Sounds divine.

I’ve been dealing with and researching MS, mercury toxicity, candidiasis and hypothyroid for 4+ years. I’m trying to heal with raw food, chelation and organ cleansing. So far, so good. It’s been slow, but so was getting sick. I’d rather heal slowly than degenerate quickly.

One of the products that I took for mercury chelation was Jon Barron’s/ Baseline Nutritionals Metal Magic. I could only tolerate a fraction of a suggested dose. It is cilantro and chlorella in one product. As I said, it is my opinion that slower is better. Going fast doesn’t necessarily mean that the mercury has an opportunity to exit. He suggested to do a colon cleanse at the same time as the Metal Magic. I did better when I did the colon cleanse without the MM.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

This information is something I had no idea about!
    I love cilantro too…....and now I am thinking about the hair analysis I had done that showed high mercury and more. The doctor gave me some pills but I haven’t really started to take them yet.
    And what does it mean if something crosses the blood/brain barrier?
    While the doctor told me not to rush in having the remaining mercury fillings removed I am booked in for one set in Feb.
    In the meantime should I be doing another liver cleanse? Eating more cilantro?
    What about psyllium….does that mop up any chemicals that get pumped out of the organs?

You shouldn’t try to chelate with amalgam fillings in your teeth. It’s also risky to have so many changed at once. If I were you, I would find a biological dentist who has experience in replacing amalgams with a substance that is compatible with you. Traditional dentists will drill the amalgams out and won’t have a dam or the proper suction to keep you from swallowing the particles and breathing the dust and vapors. Some people get worse with this drastic dentistry. It’s very serious.

Check out Hal Huggins site at www.hugnet.com for more information. Hal Huggins is the author of “It’s all in Your Head” and he has a practice where he replaces amalgams and does the proper chelation afterwards. His therapy also includes cavitation, nutrition and detox.

A hair analysis is often misleading. What they’re looking for is mineral displacement. Actual mercury rarely shows up in the hair. I was tested with bio-feedback. I don’t understand the quantum physics involved to explain how it works. This subject has gotten too deep here. You should really go to an expert.

Your brain is like swiss cheese and certain sized particles are able to cross the membrane. Neurotoxins (MSG, aspartame) cross the BBB and cause serious damage. Get the “Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World” DVD by Cori Brackett or read Betty Martini’s website. www.dorway.com

Oh dear 123….......... I am going to have to do some serious study here. Not sure if bio-feedback toxin checks exist in Australia. Thanks for posting this serious information.

A new question please to 123 (or anyone who knows) is the bio feedback testing using something called an ‘avatar’ system? I think I have found this kind of therapy here in Perth. Thank you :)

The machine is one in which I held a rod that is attached to a machine with a meter and my homeopathic doctor mashed another rod into my hand holding a vial of material for which I was tested. It reminded me of muscle testing, which is not scientific. I also found out my allergies and sensitivities. The feedback is quantum physics and is also called QXCI, SCIO and EPFX. They’re used all over the World, so I imagine that you can find one in Perth or close by. I never heard of it refered to as Avatar. My mercury level was off the meter, extremely high.

thanks 123 :)

• Wow, I never knew any of this!! I love cilantro, and I use it often, but if you add it all up I guess I am not consuming THAT much of it. I will use it in salsa, guac, salads, etc. but I am not eating the entire batch of salsa or whatever in one sitting by myself. I will have to pay attention next time I eat any to see if I get light headed or not…

• Never heard of anyone who died of a cilantro over dose.If its not causing any discomfort I would say, Have at it.

• 123~ How much seaweed do I need to bind with it? Well, I had a reaction over the weekend, and I have always consumed handfuls of cilantro. Within hours after eating my soup my jaw joint was so painful to even open my mouth, it lasted another day and a half. My mouth is full of mercury, and I don’t see getting it out anytime soon, if ever. I forgot and had a smaller handful in my soup today, and I have been stuffing every kind of seaweed I have in my mouth. I don’t have any chlorella or brown seaweed.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Ok I’m really confused. Could someone clarify and simplify this for me about cilantro? What is the limit? After reading this forum I’ll never look at cilantro the same way again. Should I avoid it to be on the safe side? Gosh, I just told my dad to consume more of it when he gets his silver/mercury filling removed from his tooth because its supposed to be good for detoxing the body from heavy metals. Should this be reconsidered?? I’m so confused and worried right now that I am getting a headache, lol.

• Wow- I never heard such negativity about cilantro. I LOVE the stuff. I could SWIM in it. Too much? Imposserous! But if people are using it to detox, that would be a lot of a single substance to take at one time. I guess even something you love could seem intolerable and become unhealthy in mega doses. By the way, if you hate cilantro you will love the ihatecilantro.com website. It’s funny and fascinating at the same time.

-RawAllison

There is no good amount or bad amount and it may not affect some people. It could. If you feel dizzy or have other symptoms, eat less. If it makes you feel better, eat more. It isn’t an unhealthy or toxic thing. It’s actually functional and nutritious. It’s like any other herb, it has a healing effect. Start slow and ramp up.

Rawrawraw, I take raw seaweed supplements that are very concentrated (Modifilan), besides eating seaweed. It’s the brown seaweed that has the alginates. I also took Metal Magic by Baseline Nutritionals (chlorella and cilantro), and it really moved things around. It makes me very dizzy, even using a fraction of the recommeded dose. I sometimes wonder if I should have supervision and go full speed ahead with it or not. It might kill me or might make me mercury free. I know that it would make me sick. So far, I have opted for “Not”.

Besides, you should not be trying to chelate with mercury in your teeth.

• It reminded me of muscle testing, which is not scientific.

I didn’t realize that…

• lettyclettyc Raw Newbie
    It is not what u eat it's how much u eat. Everything in moderation it's fine.
    ClaireT
  • stevensstevens Raw Newbie

I love cilantro! I just made a 10 oz smoothie containing one bunch of cilantro and parsley along with 2 apples. I know that cilantro is a good detox food, it removes heavy metals out of the body. So I’m wondering how much cilantro per day is actually safe and won’t promote me to detox too much. Anyone know? I read that pestos that contain cilantro and/or parsley should only be consumed in small amounts, like such as 1-2 tablespoons per day. Can’t find any relevant info on the net either for dosage. Any help would be great, thanks!

Cilantro is an excellent herbal addition to your diet. Eat it, juice it, blend it. You cannot eat too much, it helps heavy metal detox, as well as kidney function. Be not afraid of this awesome herb, I love it.

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master
    germin8 said:

Fascinating! I had no idea that cilantro crosses the blood brain barrier. Grapes cross the brain barrier too. I wonder what else do…

I never knew that about grapes! I think I learn something new every day. I kind of love this forum. 

• roseb1959roseb1959 Raw Newbie

I could eat cilantro every day of my life. Today I read that it is really high in potassium. That is good excerpt the body can't handle an overload of potassium; that is just as bad as not enough potassium. So now I'm confused about cilantro and almost afraid of overeating it now. That goes for black grapes, too. I love to eat them frozen, especially in the summer. Now what?

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I think everything in moderation is okay. I'm a huge fan of grapes as well smile

• EddielpwnsEddielpwns Raw Newbie

Hello, the main question hasn't really been answered but this thread is interesting and helpful nonetheless. 

How much fresh cilantro is safe to consume daily for its benefits?

ClaireT
  • HealthyhorseHealthyhorse Raw Newbie
    I use muscle testing every single day for whatever I put in my mouth and it has helped me a great deal. Think about it like this: Do you always know what you want or need? Do you believe that your body needs the same amount of everything on every given day? If not, how does one find out what the body needs? This may sound odd but if you know about quantum physics and mechanics, then you will see that it is based on science. That is to say that muscle testing is just a way to access what your body wants or how it feels or what it needs. Our body has needs and it knows them. How do you get that information? When a person hears bad news, it can feel like a punch in the gut. But nothing happened to you physically, or did it? It's the same with good news, which can make you feel happy all through your body. The mind/body/ spirit connection has been separated since the AMA does not deal with the spirit level. 11 of my family members have died of cancer listening to the AMA. So, whatever happens, to truly get well, we need that daily information of what our body needs. We all know that healing is not static. I muscle test the same way that I "hear" good or bad news. I stand still and ask my body if it wants cilantro. (Etc) If it starts to pitch forward, I ask again. I really listen and ask and ask, to make sure. Then I ask it amounts. Try it for yourself. You may think it's crazy but if you do it, you'll see what I mean. It can also spill over into many different areas of your life. As time goes on, you will see that you are much more in touch with how you really feel, and what you need on a deeper level. I have recommended this to several friends and they are now also enjoying the benefits. I know of no better way than this, to find out your personal needs. I have been health conscious and organic for 20+ years and found that ignoring the mind or the spiritual side of life will not lead to real health because they are also a part of the body, like it or not. That's my "pitch"!
    ClaireT