Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Breads or crackers using quinoa?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Can quinoa be used for any of the bread or cracker recipes on this site? We don’t mention it very often. I can’t eat flax so I was thinking of using my sprouted quinoa. (I’ve never made any raw bread or cracker before)

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Flax is what helps things stick together. This is probably why it’s found in many cracker/bread recipes. Quinoa will probably not be a good substitute if you need the bread to stick. But, maybe if you blend ingredients in a food processor (maybe blender) you can make the mixture more blended and that may help stick things together after dehydrating… like the way fruit rollups stick together without flax. What about grains with a raw honey. I used to make these mexican patties with soaked oat groats, walnuts, raw honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and other ingredients… they stuck together pretty well with some crumbling.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’ve also got oats soaking, okay. I can come up with some of the other suggestions, thank you germin8!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I use quinoa all the time! but I still put in like either half or 1/4 of flax to help it stick… and I use a food processor always!
    Most of the time, I don’t even use oil. It all stays together decently, its just that if I put a tomato on top of it, it sucks up all the liquid and gets less stiff.
    lol.
    but still good.

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I wonder how sesame seeds would work?

• Can you have chia seeds? They work as a great binder for crackers.

• You can also try sprouted buckwheat, buckwheat becomes sticky and goowy after you put it in the food processer,

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

im going to try them with chia seeds and post back my results.

• Chia seeds should work ,because it absorbs all the water and makes it thick:)

Have fun!!