Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ways to make zucchini pasta more appetizing

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I think having that device that makes angel-hair pasta would be awesome, but all I have is a peeler, so I used that, rubbed the noodles with salt, let sit for 30, dehydrated for 10…and the noodles still have a distinctive crunch that I can’t really get into.

Any advice? I LOVE this raw marinara sauce I made but I don’t like the noodles.

Comments

• MOTH, I have the same problem. I don’t have a spiral slicer (sniff, sniff) but sometimes what I do is chop up the zuchinni into flat, large pieces and then take the point of the knife and make long, skinny noodles out of it. You can even peel as you usually do and (time consuming, I know) and then make the noodles smaller by using the point of your knife on them. Just some thoughts.

• moth,

have u tried the kelp noodles? I had a dish at a potluck and was very pleased with the taste and texture. From what I remember, it takes on the taste of the sauce it’s in. If there is one thing that I miss I would have to say pasta. The kelp noodles I believe will be my savior.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

How about marinating them in first cold-pressed olive oil with your favorite Italian spices? Then add your marinara sauce.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Put your noodles in a bowl with as much salt as you like and squeeze 1/2-1 lemon over top of the noodles. Stir. Let sit for 15-30 minutes. You will see the noodles shrink in size and the juice level rise as they become more soft, like noodles. Once they reach the softness you like, pour into a strainer (do not rinse) and let sit over a bowl or in sink for at least 1 hour…they will continue to soften. The longer they sit, the softer they get. :) I have made noodles this way and they have lasted for 4-5 days in the fridge (I forgot about them and found them and they tasted great, even more soft which I liked them even more)...not that they had a ton of nutrition left in them, but just wanted you to know that they do last in the fridge. ALSO, make your noodles out of zucchini that is ROOM TEMPERATURE, not chilled or they will be watery. Add your marinara sauce on the side or on top right before serving or it might also get watery. Enjoy :)

• In my RAWvolution book. It says you can cut up zuchini for example. Then let it sit in a bowl in the open air for 6-8 hours to give it the right noodle texture.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I tried that but it didn’t work for me, maybe it depends on how humid it is?

• A-MAZING this was such a great help! thank you! the only thing ill add is that the fettucini type noodles need muchhhh less lemon soaking.