Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coffee grinder recommendation

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Anyone out there have a fav? I’m thinking about getting one to grind spices, flax and what not, you know, small stuff. I guess I was thinking about going with a good ‘ol Kitchenaid. Anyone have any input

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I have a Grindmaster Cafemill that I’ve had for several years. I use it all the time. They sell on eBay for under $10.00 plus shipping.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

YES! I love my Cuisinart Grind Central:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PYISEQ

I was surprised to see that the reviews were so bad, but I suppose most people are actually using it as a coffee grinder….I’ve had great luck using it for spices, nuts, etc., but my boyfriend has been banned from ever using it for his coffee, so I can’t vouch for it on that front.

Not only is it beautiful, but it has a removable grinding cup for easy dispensing and cleaning! I don’t know how I managed without it—I hated wondering what flavors my nuts were going to pick up each time I ground them. And the cup has a lid, so it can be used for storage, too. Love it!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I have a tribest personal blender. It comes with an attachment for grinding spices & small seeds and works very well. I also use if for making small amounts of salad dressing and sauces.

• I have a Hauser coffe grinder, it used to have a small blender attachment, a kind’a baby food making thing, but it wasn’t strong enough( for me?), so I ‘managed’ to break it quite soon after I bought it:(. Although the grinder itself works fine! I have ground with it a LOT, flaxseeds, poppy seeds, spices, even made flour with it! It was a cheap one it cost about 9 euros. ( I don’t know if it can be bought in the US) Anyway….Does anyone know how much is a dollar in euros?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have the Cuisinart Grind Central too. It is really nice and good looking too. I like the fact that I can take off the container and wash it and not worry about getting the unit wet.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Is the Tribal personal blender strong enough to make a seed pate? LIke from sesame seeds?

• we have a proctor silex coffee grinder just for grinding spices. We also have a tribest personal blender but haven’t used the attachement very much.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys! Guess I have a few to look into now, thanks again :-)

• I bought one about 8 yrs ago at K-Mart for 12.99, it’s till going strong.. I can’t remember the brand.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I have the Tribest Personal Blender, the grinder attachment works well for this sort of thing.

One nice feature of the Tribest is that all the parts that come in contact with food are completely submersible. I’ve had other grinders/coffee grinders that work well but the food chamber is part of the electric assembly and can’t be cleaned easily.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

The Magic Bullet… more than just a grinder. I have another coffee grinder, but I use the Magic Bullet more.

• stephanbstephanb Raw Newbie

The grinder is the most important part of your coffee making arsenal. It's critical. You could get your beans ground at the shop, and it would likely be a great grind size for French Press, but it will be noticeably stale within hours, nevermind days. It might make an okay cup of coffee, but you'll be lacking a lot of the flavor and complexity that you could get from a freshly ground bean.

So, and appealing option would be to get a hand grinder. Now, I hate hand grinders. Hate hate hate them. But I did use one for a few months, and it got me by until I could afford a real grinder. It's not the fault of the grinder, it worked exactly as advertised and as expected, but taking 2-3 minutes to grind enough for a cup of coffee got old really fast. And if I wanted to make coffee for 2-3 people it was a huge hassle. I had a Porlex JP30, and as far as hand grinders go, it's pretty good for the price. The Hario grinders are good options as well.

Personally, I would suggest saving up for an mid-price level electric grinder. I read quite few reviews and guides over the internet. The Baratza Virtuoso is a fantastic choice for anything basically, and you can get it refurbished directly from Baratza for about $200. I know you might not want to spend that much right now, but I'd say it's worth saving for. I found some good information about it here. In the mean time you could keep going to coffee shops for your fix, or even just get a hand grinder and then save towards an electric, but then you're spending more in the long run. Or you could just have them grind the beans for you at the shop until you can splurge on a good grinder. I guess that way you'll appreciate the difference when you get a grinder of your own.

• jens6jens6 Raw Newbie

I keep reading good things about the Magic Bullet that really makes me want to give it a try!

Like the post above, I also tried out one of the hand grinders when I was looking for a good quiet coffee grinder - the hand grinder on this page - but I really didn't like how long it took. Plus, I have some carpal tunnel issues that I wasn't really thinking about when I bought it, so that just aggravated my pain. So, that might be something to consider if you're still looking at hand grinders.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

My vote is for the Magic Bullet too. I bought an antique looking hand grinder instead once, used it about twice (it took a good solid 5 minutes each time to grind about a spoonful of seeds), and then decided it looked nice in the window. I haven't used it since.