Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Athletes?

124»

Comments

• I’m glad I found this topic! I used to run all the time, but after a bad car wreck (was hit by a drunk driver and totaled my car as well as my body) two years ago I haven’t exercised much at all. I want to get back into a daily routine of movement. I was wondering if my new raw diet would assist, and it looks from everyone’s thoughts that it will. Yay.

Angie, I love that Louise Hay book – I’ll have to check out your other recommendations. I truly believe that we are all connected, and that our bodies store emotional memory and experience.

• So I’ve been thinking about this. I guess I will take some coconut water as there is water along the way I can drink. How much coconut water will I need to get me thru 26 miles?

• A little off the topic of running… but I’m seriously considering getting certified to become a personal trainer and I know there are a lot of different certifications out there. If any of you personal trainers on here have any helpful advice I’d love it! Thanks a bunch.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

vegdiane—hope I’m not too late for your event. I ran the RnR Arizona marathon last year on coconut water and dates instead of “goo”. I drank 8 oz of coconut water 30 min. before the race, water (4, 6 oz bottles) i carried until mile 16 when i dumped the empties and exchanged for 2- 8oz bottles of coconut water—ate the dates at mile 18—flicked the pits at some poor soul behind me! :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

allison—you will be far more marketable with a degree in Athletic Training or Physical Therapy (very long time-7-8 years now on the Physical Therapy). Other than that, I’m sure AFAA has the better cert. There are cheap on-line certs, but i don’t recommend them as the liability if your client gets hurt is too high for you. Go with the most extensive training you can afford.

• Has anyone tried Chia seeds?? I used them the morning before my half marathon last sat and I felt a difference Im training for the San Diego marathon June 1st I’m doing to try the dates and bannan drink on my buddy runs see how I feel any other good snacks to bring along for long runs?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Never tried chia seeds. How did the long run go this week. Are you getting your energy back?

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Wow there sure are alot of runners in this group. It’s excellent to hear everyone’s stories. I’ve never considered myself an athlete but I do participate in alot of sports: mountain bike or road ride a few days per week, trail run a couple of days to supplement, and in the summer kitesurf as much as possible. I forgot to add in swimming which I am doing less and less these days because of the chlorine toxicity. I am only 90% raw but it really is a trip to watch my body respond to this new diet. I used to have to eat and then wait for digestion before going on a ride or a run, and now that’s not really an issue. My body just drinks in and immediately uses the raw nutrition I am feeding it. My energy is definitely higher and recovery happens much more quickly….yay!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

welcome kindaraw! been suffering this week with serious calf muscle pain after returning to a step aerobics class. Went to 3 risers—probably not my best idea. nonetheless, I’ve been able to keep my schedule of Pilates, yoga, running, spinning and eliptical.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Hi all quick update on the marathon training while raw.. well.. the last two weeks I’ve been juice feasting so I’ve been going easy on my daily runs.. just logging 3 or 4 miles. but over the weekend I knew I needed to get in a long run so I did 15 miles on coconut water (and some green tea pre run). It was really tough, but I made it! I plan to break fast tonight so I can start fueling up for a 20-22 miler on saturday. that’ll be my last real long run (and only second at the 20 mile mark) before my May 25th marathon. I’ve been using dates as fuel and that is working well. I”m actually planning to soak medjools in coconut water for race day. Additionally, I’m going to try some of brendan brazier’s “goo” recipes. I’ll let you all know how they come out! Was thinking maybe goji berries would be good on a long run?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kminty—personal preference only, but I like to keep my sugar separate from my fluid so I can give my body only what it’s asking for. Your coconut water is loaded with minerals—all you need to sip on for the run. The date need (like goo) will come later, after 16 miles or so—you’ll know it. You might get sick if you dilute the sugar in your water beverage, but if you’ve been doing that all along, i know it works for some.