Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Skin repair?

roxiroxi Raw Newbie

This is my dilemma. I have had acne for a little over 12 years now. When I was 12, I starting using proactive solutions and used it religiously for 6 years. When I was 18 I stopped and tried using organic all natural products. However I still suffer from this “disease.” Lately, I have only been using coconut oil on my face, bare minerals make-up and aloe vera gel which seems to be helping.

My concern is that the proactive (benzoyal peroxide) has damaged my skin immensely. It is dry all the time (getting better from the coconut oil) and I have fine lines (I’m only 23 for Pete’s sake!).

My question is this: are there products, specific things I could consume, etc that would help repair my skin and bring it back to its natural state, besides the obvious of consuming 100% raw foods?

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

MSM is awesome for the skin, taking it orally as well as in lotion! I believe David Wolfe sells an MSM lotion that is really good. If you go to his page and check out the ingredients, you can find that exact same lotion elsewhere for cheaper. I got some at my local health food store. Same darn lotion, local brand, cheaper price! I love it though! Taking the msm and using the lotion has made a huge difference in my skin!

Oh and I love to give myself little exfoliating facials with mashed up pineapple and papaya. Let it sit for about 10 mins, rinse and then moisturize good. If my skin is irritated, I blend up some cucumber and slather that on, let it sit, then rinse. Sometimes I even put my green smoothies on my face, and it’s amazing how fresh it makes my face feel. I encourage you to try some of these tips though! I’ve always hated my skin but since doing some of these things I’ve noticed huge differences!

GulayG1rl
  • AmelieAmelie Raw Newbie

Hi Roxi, I had the same problems with my skin up to one year ago. But now my face has totally cleared up and has healed beautifully.I use MSM powder and Maca powder every day dissolved in water and drink lots of organic nettle tea. And on my face I use MSM lotion and aloe vera gel .

GulayG1rl
  • roxiroxi Raw Newbie

Coconutty: there are a few different MSM lotions on the sunfood website. Do you suggest I use the one that has coconut in it too?

Amelie: how long did it take for you to see results.

Also, how much MSM powder and maca powder do you take.

Thanks!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Ahh, I’ve used Proactive for a few years too, and it’s dried out my skin a little. :/ I hope I can find some coconut oil at my Hy-Vee…they usually have a pretty good selection of raw stuff.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

The best way to prevent acne is a colon and liver cleanse. And as far as healing the face, it sounds really cheesy, but cucumbers. I know everyone always says that, but it’s true. Cucumbers, and aloe. And they taste GREAT. I love it. It moisturises from the inside out. And both are cleansing. Don’t forget your water of course.

I don’t know how much amelie takes, but I read you can take anywhere from 1/2 tsp maca to two tablespoons a day. I haven’t actually taken it myself. But I intend to. I’d suggest starting out on the lowest dose first and working your way up, IF needed. I doubt you would need much if you eat a balanced diet.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

can you tell us more about colon and liver cleansing? i’ve had acne and rosacea for a long time and 5 weeks raw has made a world of difference, but i still have a few sneaky pimples coming and going! thanks!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Well firstly they both help because you can recycle hormones if they are not passed properly (they pass through the liver and out the colon), and of course the years of built up toxins and waste can stay in the gut long after we have went raw.

As for how..Well there are many ways. I think I am going to start one soon. I’m going to prepare by eating loads of apples, lemons and grapefruits. The apples and grapefruits for pectin(to get things “moving” and soften any liver stones), and the lemon and grapefruits to thin and remove mucus. Then I will either pick up an herbal cleanse from the health food store, or start a master cleanse, followed by a salt flush. Sometimes this can be gruesome with headaches, rumbling tummy, and of course practically living in the bathroom. But your skin and body feel soooo much better. I used to do nothing but salt cleanses before, and that I can say was REALLY genuinely awful because I hadnt prepared my body in any way, and expected it to clean everything even though it was still addicted to processed and cooked “foods”. I’m actually very excited to see how it goes this time around.

I would research a few and see what sounds like it would work for your body, and schedule. But I definitely think it could help you. Also you might look into doing a candida cleanse beforehand. Candida yeast can make the cleanse harder. Among other things. This all sounds like a lot. But it’s quite worth it and there are easier and inexpensive ways to go about it if you look into it. The candida cleanse should actually be main priority. Oh my. I may have to continue all of this tommorrow to be more useful and make more sense. I apologise for the bad explanations and being vaguely over informative. :P

But best wishes!

• I was having a problem with my skin breaking out and dryness as well. One thing that has helped me get rid of fine lines is an exfoliation scrub that I make out of Olive Oil, Honey, and Baking Soda. I mix them into thin paste and then gently scrub my face with it. Then rinse with warm water. When you are rinsing gently scrub your face a little more – you can feel the baking soda. The next morning my face is super soft and glowing!

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

I have done a series of colonics, which have seemed to help. I think I will use the aloe vera gel more instead of the coconut oil. I will save that for when my face is really dry. After having used the coconut oil for the last 2 weeks, it has helped the dryness tremendously. However, I still am breaking out. I can’t tell if it is from detox. BUT, the candida thing seems to be my culprit. I breakout mainly on my chin, jaw and lower cheeks. I have read that this is caused by candida. I have been taking a pill that has garlic, caprylic acid, pau d’arco and grapefruit seed extract, as well as taking oil of oregano pills. Maybe my recent breakout is from the candida detox? Hard to tell…I’m just sick of my face looking like a 16 year olds! I feel too old for this “crap”!

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help. Any additional tips would be great!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

my acne is all on my chin too!

have_mersey, thanks for the info!

i think i should look into the candida issue, perhaps that’s what i’m dealing with…

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

You know, I really feel like the aloe vera gel does wonders for my skin. And the coconut oil truly moisturizes it. I may have found the perfect combination. I just need to perfect the doses. I have also started to incorporate the MSM. I went to the store last night and got some capsules that contain 750 mg of MSM. So we will see.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

About MSM - I read that you should take it only for 3 weeks at a time, then don’t take any for 1 week, then 3 weeks on, 1 off, etc. I don’t wash my face – just rinse it with water and then pat dry with a towel maybe 2 times a week (I don’t use ANY makeup any more). I get more skin problems the more I scrub off the natural oils. I also sometimes use sweet almond oil (beauty product section of the health food store) on my skin, and that really helps with the dryness.

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

How did you transition from make-up to no make-up? I feel my face is too messed up right now NOT to wear make-up, especially at work and such. I have acne scars, readness, dryness, fine lines, etc. I think I would be too self conscience not to wear make-up. But I wish I didn’t have to!! Oh what freedom that would be!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Also, take vit c with the msm, as it helps the msm work. Try camu camu berries. David Wolfe recommends to try working up to 10,000mg of it for about 3 months, then work back down to a regular dose. I don’t know how pure the capsules are, but Prairie Naturals has a good powder msm. I’m currently doing the 10,000mg thing as I’m also trying to get rid of acne blemishes. So far I think they’ve gone down about 50%.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I think I just didn’t like wearing it, so I started wearing it less and less. Then I realized I was only wearing it when I went out, to attract men. That made me ticked off at men, expecting me to do something I didn’t like, just to impress them! So I quit wearing it all together, and even though I don’t get men paying as much attention to me, I am comfortable with myself, and I figure it is a way to make sure the man I marry will be in love with the real me. (Although it may take me a lot longer to get married, lol) I have scars from some of the makeup/skincare products I have used in the past, and now I am taking care of my skin. When I get a pimple, I dot some lavender oil on it, and it usually goes away in about a day, depending how bad it was. The longer I have been raw, the less I even get any pimples, and the ones I do get are very small. Maybe lavender oil mixed with sweet almond oil would help even things out? The lavender is really healing and soothing to the skin; just don’t get it around your eyes. Silicon is a skin-repair nutrient, too, I think – I’ll have to look it up.

• pauliasmith6745pauliasmith6745 Raw Jr. Leader

Wash  hands first, so that no poisons can be transferred into the skin. Open the pores by making your skin wet with lukewarm water. Massage the face gently with a cleanser in a circular and upward motion. You can let your cleanser stay a while if the product has this feature. It will cleanse and remove the dirt, oil, or blemishes from the pores rightly.

• berryjberryj Raw Newbie

Yes! This product is awesome for skin, I have used it before. I also had the same problem. But now I am happy with the results. Also, I recommend you some fruit facials too.

• VanessaEvansVanessaEvans Raw Newbie

Such an informative thread. Its good to know so many options for skin repair. 

ClaireT
  • phoebe17phoebe17 Raw Jr. Leader

I have acne on my cheeks. I've tried external skin care regimens such as bentonite clay and aloe vera but it's not enough to heal hyperpigmentation. I never thought I could take other stuff internally aside from relying on capsules with Vit. A an C. Thanks for sharing other methods. 

TammiTrue
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Has the coconut oil had a chance to help? Skin takes time to heal and recover from the damage of harsh treatments. 

phoebe17
  • phoebe17phoebe17 Raw Jr. Leader

If what I'm doing right now won't work, I have to give that a try. 

ClaireT
  • PersonalityIkonPersonalityIkon Raw Newbie

A few home made face packs i've tried to get rid of acne are :

1. honey and yogurt, leave it on for 20 min 

2. egg york for 20 min 

3. any citrus fruit with little purpose flour for 20 min 

ClaireT
  • sammiecsammiec Raw Newbie

This kind of situation is very disturbing. I can understand your worry as I have gone through the same situation. I had acne on the face, neck and back since the age of 11. I used many anti-acne creams, soaps and serums but none of them was effective. At the age of 20, I started visiting a proper dermatologist and use the treatment, I got a great improvement. I would not say I don't have any acne at the face at all but only a few blackheads or sometimes acne appears on the face in weeks. However, the bad thing is that I have many open pores on the face especially after eye bone. Nowadays, I am taking Water Oxygen Bubble Cleaning Treatment to tighten the skin of my face and shrink the pores. All in all, I would recommend you to visit a dermatologist rather than using products at home. 

• AsusanneaAAsusanneaA Raw Jr. Leader

Pure coconut oil did not work for me, I put it on my body and hair but not on my face. What I put on my face are essential oils. There is a variety to choose from both in terms of brands and types of the oil. My absolute favorite is Jojoba Oil by Virginic. It helps with acne, redness, (even scars!!!) and it hydrates the skin nicely. 

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

Hydration is super important as well so don't forget to drink enough smile