Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Make-up

roxiroxi Raw Newbie

What are people using here for make-up, if any? Just curious…. I currently use bare minerals…but I’m not really liking it right now.

Comments

• Oh how I’d love to say that I use even bare minerals right now…but I’m not that raw-evolved yet. I’m not ready to make the leap. Which means I’m definitely not ready to not have any makeup on!! I would love to get to that point though..

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I love Bare Minerals, but I don’t wear it every day. just when I go out in public. Even that has some health issues such as nano-particles. I think it’s about the healthiest option for make-up though.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

i use glominerals pressed powder. i’ve never tried bare minerals… maybe i’ll buy that next. it might be easier to find then glo.

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I use an Aveda foundation which is called Inner Light. I also use Aveda blusher and eyeliner and a Dr Hauschka mascara (which is great since it’s almost completely made from plants! It plumps and thickens and looks fabulous).

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I use bare minerals for pretty much everything except eyeliner, which is Loreal Paris. oopsie. I don’t wear eyemakeup very often though, so it’s not too much of a big deal for me. I want to get some Dr. Hauschka’s makeup sometime…

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

Wow, I didn’t realize the amount of people who have been using bare minerals! I have been using mine for years now, probably close to 7 or 8 years. I started using it when they were really only advertising on QVC. I like it, except lately it has been feeling heavy on my skin. I too would love to never wear makeup again. I’m just not at that comfort level yet…

• I personally use some MAC pressed powder. No so great for my skin I’m sure, but Bare Minerals does not agree with my sensitive skin. It makes it all itchy! lol

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I use bare minerals…but I have bad acne….mainly in the last year. It’s such a pain in the butt! I have been 100% for 9 days now, and I am breaking out like crazy! Even 2 pimples on my neck! (Which is way grosser then on my face, in my opinion.) It will be a long time until I don’t wear make-up because I have a lot of really severe hyperpigmentation, and some scarring. Blah.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Southernlover, I broke out all over my face the first couple weeks of raw, and that went away for the most part. Now my back is breaking out more. It’s definitely detox related for me.

I just got some sort of mineral makeup from Whole Foods.

• I like Bare Minerals too. I’ve seen one called Raw Minerals but haven’t looked too far into it. There are some others out there that are supposedly good, I did try one that was just awful though. I must admit that I ordered one from TV that Leeza Gibbons was pushing and it SUCKED!! I’ve heard of one called Everyday minerals is very good as well, very clean.

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

I’ve heard the same about Everyday minerals. I heard of a website (from here somewhere) where you can check on the toxicity of products on the market. Everyday mineral foundation had the lowest score, meaning it has the least amount of toxic material. I couldn’t fine bare minerals on that list. I think I heard of the website from heartshapedksy, on one of the forum topics.

• I use Miessence Organics makeup. The pigments aren’t as deep as traditional makeup, but I like that their ingredients are simple and they provide you with a description of what each ingredient actually is. I love their stuff.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

hey roxi! yeah, the product info is at http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?noth… and my mom just sent me a link for this company: http://www.rawgaia.com/ no make up but raw skin care products.

• I use Dr Hauschka maskara as well and I like it! My lipstick and eyeshadow are Lavera, nail polish from Sante. Another eyeshadow and tinted face cream from Alverde. Pretty much thats it! I think if you are looking for the most natural solution with the least additives, Miessence is the best, however it is quite expencive and not widely available, at least where I live.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

You might want to try Larenim. They have great colours, don’t process their minerals with bismouth oxychloride, and the particles are too large to pass through the skin. I also like Dr.Hauschka’s mascara, and Gabriel Color’s. Aveda has a really nice system with a magnetic compact and eyeshadows, bronzer, blusher, etc. . . so that you can customize it. However, their products aren’t the purest. Their lipsticks are nice also though.

• i use body shop makeup most of the time. some of the stuff i have is perscriptives and laura mercier but i’m not ready to give it up yet. as long as they don’t test on animals i’m usually ok with it.

• JDJD

Oh my. Is Dr. Hauschka mascara really $23?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Yep. I know the price is steep, but it’s better to support a company producing healthier products. Gabriel Color’s mascara is a bit cheaper. Also, mascara is one of the more toxic makeup products . . . and considering it’s so close to your eyes.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I don’t use makeup except for a bit of cover up. But I don’t have anything nontoxic! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

there are some really nice natural/organic makeup brands, and a good selection on www.poshorganix.com.. the woman who runs the site (my friend) is a raw foodie!

• Resonally I gave up on make-up for two reasons 1 my religion and 2 all the good ones were WAY too expensive for me and I was tired of the

• Hum.. The rest didn’t post.. I was tired of the junky ones. I’ve never heard of mineral make-up before. Perhaps if I ever want to buy make-up again I’ll have to look into it.

• I have done a lot of research on ingredients in organic/non-organic skincare and makeup and sorry to say but you will have to be weary of many of the lines already mentioned- definitely check out www.thegreenguide.com – that talks of the toxicity of many mineral lines (like bareminerals) whom employs bismuth oxychloride- to the powder which is toxic!!! (top ingredient to avoid). And many of the mineral lines are using nano-particles- which another thing.

I recommend with regards to effectiveness and purity- Earth’s beauty for concealer and Beauty Wise for Mineral foundation. Another – fuller coverage one in liquid form to tryout would be NVEY Co. For blush- try Logona. All of these can be found on www.bewellstaywell.com

I will try to post for you all the top ingredients to avoid with skincare- makeup. Bottom line- if you wouldnt eat it- dont put it one your skin!

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

orgfoodaddict. Thank you for the information! You just inspired me to go into my bathroom and discard almost everything I have! haha! In all seriousness though, I feel most of us women have been putting chemicals on our skin and into our bodies since we were preteens. Since I am more conscience of this now, I watch my friends use drug store bought make-up an lotion and scringe! Just last night, a friend of mine was telling me about this awesome mascara that makes your lashes full and long. Humm….I thought. I wonder how many toxic chemicals are in that tube! Hopefully all of us can come up with some really good products to use that aren’t toxic.

Oh and that Green Guide website is great! A ton of useful informative stuff!

• Woah, is makeup bad for your health?

• I’ve been using Everyday Minerals for two years now.

http://www.everydayminerals.com

I’ll never go to liquid makeup again. My makeup always feels light and it doesn’t cause me to break out. It’s also worth the cost. I usually only have to order it 2-3 times a year.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’m of the opinion that natural beauty is better than any makeup. i wore make-up for only a few years in my life, and almost never foundation during those years. and i think my skin looks younger and healthier because of it.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Agree with Stylistchick. Now and then in my spookier times I smear on a little Burt’s Bees eyeliner.