Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eating just fruit

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m shifting again, and now it seems like all I want is fruit. Greens are not satisfying and almost seem like a waste of time to eat. They just seem like they go right through me, not sticking to my ribs. It’s weird because three weeks ago I was all about the greens.

Now I think I could happily live on just fruit forever. It just seems like the perfect food. I’ve been so satisfied eating it. Because of these changing desires I am interested in learning more about fruitarianism.

Is there anything I should watch out for if I eat only fruit? I’ve read some mixed things about it, but I do feel like I could live on fruit forever so I was thinking I might allow myself to. I figure I’ll eat fruit as long as it feels right to do so.

Comments

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Yeah, just go with your body. It’s more than likely that pretty soon you will crave greens again, or tons of nuts, who knows. Your body will go through stages. About a week and a half ago I started drinking green smoothies like mad, and I craved them, but as of 3 days ago, all I want is fruit, avocados, and seeds. Strange…

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

this happens to me all the time. a few days or weeks of only fruit. then mostly greens. then veggies. then avocado + greens. then fruit. If you only eat fruit long term, think about having green smoothies to get your greens.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Here’s what I’ve read about fruitarianism:

I’ve read eating a fruitarian diet can lead to mineral loss in the long-term. It’s like ok in the short-term, but in the long-term, be careful. Fruitarians can also run into vitamin B deficiencies, and long chain omega 3 fatty acid deficiencies.

If you do this diet, make sure you limit your sweet fruit (can lead to mineral loss); eat a lot of non-sweet fruit like avocado, lemon, lime, cucumber, zucchini, tomatoes, etc.; eat a lot a alkaline, high calcium fruits like figs, olives, oranges; eat a lot a silicon based foods like hot peppers, okra, cucumbers.

Get a lot of fresh air, and watch out for pollutants (urban environments).

Check out The Sunfood Diet Success System. It has a lot of good info on this diet.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Ok fruitarianism is the best lifestyle. Fruit has ALL the vitamins and nutrients we need PERIOD. Heres what I ate today: 930 am 10 bananas 1130 am 5 oranges 1:00 pm 1 avocado 230 pm 5 oranges 6:00 pm 11 bananas

I typed this in nutritiondata.com and you can type it yourself to see the breakdown. protein for one is at 97% recommended daily allowance. calcium is at 88% those two are the biggest concerns of most people. and it lists minerals too but Im not going to put all that data here. the minerals are there. all the minerals and vitamins we need are in the fruits you just need variety. I didnt type in the strawberries I ate just a few minutes ago so theres more! For me, i dont need anything else, just fruit. fruitarians also eat nuts and seeds which are high in protein. I dont eat much of them, occasionally a small handfull of sesame or sunflower seeds that have been soaked overnight and dried. The other thing is avocado. avocados are LOADED with minerals, like 45 minerals if I remember right. Once again I wont post the data here but avocados alone provide many minerals, and the fat in them is the fat our bodies love, and knows how to use unlike the fats of hamburgers,chips,french fries etc etc. Ok Im done, there is just too much criticism on fruitarianism and I have done much research on it,and I am fruitarian and I havent felt this good since I was in gradeschool! To me, raw is the way to go,fruit,greens,veggies,nuts ,seeds, just not anything cooked or processed you know. But for me fruit is it and all I eat. this may not be for everyone but I truly love it and I do know some long term fruitarians who are thriving on fruit for many years and very healthy!! Food is our fuel for our daily activities, so the way i see it we only need to eat during the daily active times which is why I dont eat “breakfast,lunch,dinner” I eat when I get hungry, and I eat till full is it, there is no timeframe and the times vary depending on how much activity.We really dont need much food each day but for a lot of people food is a major part of their life,especially social. For me I have learned to eat only when I need to and each day it is getting less and less. I dont eat after 5 because this is my chill time at home and Im not being avtive and Im working on not eating after 2 so my digestion doesnt have to work overtime. I ride my bike every day to work about 3 miles one way so 6 miles a day plus I run 2.5 miles 4 times a week and do pushups, situps every day etc and I deliver freight 10 hours a day so i am very active. there are all kinds of diets out there but fruitarianism to me isnt a diet its a lifestyle. Rob

bethg
  • MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Roadrunner, THANK YOU! That’s exactly what I wanted to know more about and to hear from people who have embraced this lifestyle full time. Do you eat non-sweet fruit as well, like cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes?

I’ve just noticed that I feel SO GOOD after I eat such lucious fruits, sweet and nonsweet, I love them all. I’ve also been inspired to go all organic, and it’s not that much different in price, and I believe it’s so worth it for the difference in taste.

I’m glad to hear that you haven’t lost your teeth or anything crazy like what I’ve been reading about on the net. Seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there. I just feel so happy and at peace since I started eating all fruit and I will continue to do so. I will trust what feels the best for my body.

Thank you for the in depth reply!

bethg
  • WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Roadrunner – do you eat any greens? It’s very interesting that you eat lots of fruit and feel great. What a fun thing to try. I love to hear about different raw lifestyles. Cool!

Moth, no problem! Go to www.fruitarian.com theres a lot of info there! Also www.Iheartfruit.com thas I heart fruit Fruitbat Anne there has been fruitarian for years and shes great! Shell answer your questions as well as others there on the board. I go there alot because Im fruitarian and raw boards there tends to be too much negative on fruitarianism,at Iheartfruit.com I feel more at home.

Winona, My greens are cucumber,zuchunni,avocado, those are green! LOL! Everything I need is in fruit! Rob

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I am LOVING the fruitarian way of being! I really am; I’ve seldom felt so at peace with myself in my entire life. All I want to do right now is yoga, nature, read and write and that’s what I’ve been up to. :-) Roadrunner, I have also noticed that some raw boards (haven’t noticed this at goneraw) tend to look down on fruitarianism and I don’t know why, because it’s just a different way of being RAW. We all have our own ways of eating, and for me, fruit just feels so right.

Thanks for the link…I will check it out!

Yea Moth I wish I knew how to do Yoga. And if you look at nutritiondata.com theres many vitamins and minerals in the fruits, it list them there so i dont worry about that. Ive been on oranges all day and theyre so good right now, been eating about 10 to 12 a day! Rob

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

roadrunner: do people gain any weight eating all fruit? I’d like to avoid that if I can. I do a moderate amount of exercise during the week, like biking and yoga, and sometimes running.

Not me I hit 155 is where I bottomed out and now maintain 165. You will bottom out unless you are already at your ideal weight, everyone has an ideal weight and your body knows where it is so dont worry about losing weight either. I fluctuate between 165 and 170 daily but the 5 lbs is just fruit consumption during the day because at my morning weigh in Im right back to 165!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I agree with the mineral loss by not eating greens. Not everyone does well on a fruitarian diet, many just eat sweet fruit. You are also missing the essential fats from nuts and seeds. Why limit your diet so much? Why not include some salads or green smoothies and an occasional handful of nuts?

Avocado!!! all the minerals we need are in avocado along with oranges,grapes and others! Avocado has more essential fats than nuts and seeds plus avocado difests much better since it has a lot of fiber! Im not limiting anything I eat enough as i said before eating is only for fuel not a passtime, fruitarians eat seeds. fruit is anything bearing a seed such as zuchinni,cucumber,tomatoes are also fruits my greens are avocado,zuchinni,cucumber,and tomatoes. I get all the minerals and vitamins I need from fruit, I dont need greens, but others may feel they do and if so eat away! Rob

You aren’t getting EPA or DHA in avocado and they contain omega 9 fat, not essential. Walnuts contain essential omega 3. Fruit and veggie seeds aren’t the ones in which I was referring. I meant things like flax seed and hempseed of which both contain a balance of omega 3 and 6 fats. Eat as you wish, for fuel. I think that most people are able to enjoy the fuel in social situations as well. I prefer a more varied diet that includes leafy greens and seaweed as well as a few root vegetables, nuts and seeds. I can’t eat tomatoes (food sensivity) and bananas contain similar lectins as tomatoes and I can’t eat them in volume either. Bon appetit!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I’m glad I;m not the only one who is fruitarianism. I eat brewers yeast for protein, but other than that its just fruit.

123, omega 3 and 6 are in avocado and the statement I made “fruit is anything bearing a seed such as zuchinni,cucumber,tomatoes are also fruits” is just that. I know what seeds you are talking about,flax,sesamee,sunflower. avocado has the omega fatties in them theyre VERY nutritious and have many minerals and as far as the omega 9 fatty acids, the body produces this on its own so it doesnt need this added but if youre as active as I am I see no problem besides the fats in avocado are the kind our bodies need and know how to use. I used to live at burger king and mcdonalds being a truck driver so to me avocados are ok, better than a double whopper with cheese! What i meant about the fruit/seed thing is clarifying that cucumber zuchinni and tomato are fruits because of the seeds unlike say onion which has no seed therefore is a vegetable. Many fruitarians eat greens and seeds. I have a tablespoon of soaked and dries sesamee seeds each morning before i go run. I vary this daily with sunflower seeds. 1 tablespoon of either each day and no more, I have thought about adding flax as well but I think the sunflower and sesamee are doing it for me besides we dont need the amount of protein that is recommended, thats way too much,too much protein is hard on the kidneys and liver, I get all the protein I need in oranges and grapes alone.Avocados are natural and come from the earth unlike a hamburger so I eat them and as far as that goes i am 100% for anything edible on this earth which has not been processed or cooked, I simply feel humans are designed for fruit. Fruit The Ultimate Diet by ReJean Durette is a great book and it answered all my questions and fears on nutrients and such. For me its fruit. My social life doesnt involve food, aka i dont go out to eat or eat at family gatherings unless Im hungry and if so i always have fruit in my cooler or backpack with me!! Im not disagreeing with you on anything I just want it to be clear ive done my homework on fruitarianism as i was 100% RAW before i became fruitarian, I just naturally drifted into this lifestyle after my own personal research of the nutrition so I know what fruits have what etc etc. Once in a while I crave romaine hearts and will eat a whole package of them by themselves but only when I feel they are needed and i seem to know when I need certain things. Were all different and feel we should all just be RAW or fruitarian or both whichever works best for us but ultimately when we were first put here on earth man did not concern himself with calories,fats,vitamins,or nutrients and early man lived to be 900 years old and sure the soil isnt the same as it was then but we still have the same foods which is what i choose to eat, If it comes from a tree, its definately for me, if it comes from a vine it is definately all mine! Rob

I’m not trying to talk you out of eating as you do. Being fruitarian doesn’t work well for me for the reasons I listed above. I’m trying to rebuild myelin and muscle and fight Lyme disease. Vegetables and dark greens are better for me (even fruit veggies) than sugary fruits. I also need more fats.

Im not saying anything youre saying is wrong, its just that when i read posts on fruit not having enough nutrients or you cant just live on fruit or thats too much sugar etc etc it irritates me. But I truly respect everyones opinion and im not pushing fruitatianism on anyone. But I do know all the nutrients we need are in the fruit in complete balance if you use variety. I tend to eat only a couple of fruits a day and just eat those all day like oranges and bananas or oranges and grapes and only in mono form. I remember when i was living the SAD diet and ate a lot of candy and processed junk I got “sugar rushes” and I know what theyre like and i dont get that on fruit. I started off eating about 30 bananas or more a day and Im not kidding! But I realized that Im still a pig,lol,just a healthy one so I cut back to 14 or less a day and now focusing on other fruits especially since its spring and were getting more variety here finally. I plan on going on a grape fast soon as soon as grapes come down again theyre 2.49 a pound right now and a couple weeks ago they were 98 cents a pound!! I did a grape/orange run for about a week and that was great, its very cleansing. But I do have a tablespoon of seeds a day and sometimes Ill have another tablespoon of them later in the day. I checked nutritiondata and I can have 2 tablespoons and still keep the fat under control and Im also cutting the avocados down to 1 a day from 4 a day. Ahhhh thats gonna be hard because I love avocados! Only because theyre so expensive right now, 1 of them is 150 to 2 bucks depending on where ya buy em! And really i only think I need 1 a day is sufficient, I only ate 4 a day because I love them! especially with fresh juiced lemon! Rob

• I would like to eat all fruit for a while just to see…I am sure I would do well on it, as it is now I eat mainly fruit during the day, except the spinach in my smoothies, and coconut oil. if zucchini is a fruit, then I am doing even better haha I eat zucchini noodles every night but the sauce is not fruit. My body still doesn’t digest vegetables as well as fruit does…one day when I have the $$ to buy only fruit I’ll try it. But around here it is ex-pen-sive!! Whereas I can get a weeks worth of zucchini and/or carrots for way less.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m enjoying my fruit-only diet right now. Eating only organic fruit seems to have upped my raw detox. I feel very mellow, and I notice I have been having some detox symptoms, like feeling lightheaded or tired, which quickly vanishes if I only eat more fruit! I’ll do this experiment as long as I can, out of curiousity, and also because it feels like a positive change for me.

I’m craving/eating avocado’s like CRAZY hehe.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. :-)

• can you still lose weight eating avocados? i dont wanna go over the fat you should have

heyitsmahsa: I heard about some guy who at 10 avocados a day, and still lost weight.

Avocadoes have lipase, the fat-splitting enzyme, and it can release the stored cooked fat in your body.

Moth: Have fun on your fruitarian quest! Keep it up with those avocadoes, along with other fatty fruits like olives and durian. I don’t know of any other fatty fruits commonly available. Eggfruit is fatty, but not commonly found in the continental US. :)

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Like others have said, go with the flow. Listen to your body, it usually knows what you need!

Ok I have this great site here Moth for your fruitarian questions and concerns! http://www.thefruitpages.com/ 123 you mentioned fruit not having the amino acids or proteins we need, well heres a statement from this site on aminos… - Amino-acids Proteins consist of amino acids and our body uses 20 different amino-acids. There are 8 amino-acids that our body cannot produce itself. They are called the essential amino-acids and our bodies have to obtain them through nutrition. There are many fruits and vegetables that contain all of the eight essential amino acids in the single fruit or veg. This means that it’s not necessary to consume animal products to obtain the proteins that contain the essential amino acids our body needs. The following fruits and vegetables contain all 8 essential amino acids: -Fruits: Bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers. -Vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots (also good for the memory), corn, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, okra, peas, summer squash and kale.

Notice BANANNAS being the first fruit mentioned! I eat about 10 to 20 banannas a day! Eating fruit daily will cause you to reach your ideal weight and stay at that weight. It even has an ideal weight formula for everyone there, mine is 160, which guess what? I weigh 160! during the day I will jump up to 165,167, and sometimes 170 depending on how much fruit I eat but my morning weigh in I always return to 160, the daily weight jump is just the fruit i eat during the day and I eliminate 3 or more times a day so digestion is perfect!

Fruit has everything we need and it works wonders for me! Has information in there on detox,weigh loss,nutrition data,minerals,sugar issues its all there, its a great site enjoy! Rob

fruit rocks. nuts suck. grains suck. seeds suck. fruit rules.

RawKidChef, I agree 100% period!

• RawKidChef and Roadrunner- I am curious if either of you had any battle with Candida either past or present and if so- how the fruit effected you. Also curious if either of you are city dwellers- as location can have a big affect on what one eats and the availability.

I for example live in NYC. I love fruits- but even fruits bloat and gas me. In NYC it seems more than half the fresh fruits are very unripe and besides apples and pears- mostly hybridized bananas, kiwis, dates, etc- are all that is readily available. So I find it difficult to purchase lots of fruit for that reason.

Hi orgfoodaddict, first off I am 12 so no trouble with candida. I live in a country-like city in MD, where there is very little indistrialization. I shop at one organic grocery store, which happens to be like 3 minutes away. Their fruit is all organic, but alot of it is pretty unripe all the time. They do have very good pineapples though, which I eat like crazy all day. The bananas are usually either green (not at all ripe) or overripe with brown spots. Sometimes there one that’s just right though. The downside is that they don’t have durian, which I have always wanted to try and bever have. I agree though, it is hard to get good fruit.

If I really go crazy, I will eat a tad bit of nuts on occasion. And I mean on occasion, really, like once every 3 or 4 months will I have a little nuts, usually in a snack or dessert like thing. I really don’t like seeds, grains, or nuts though. I make it so that when I eat nuts (or seeds) that they have to be soaked with no or very little dehydration. I make all of my food very fresh, but as many of you know I am working on a solar dehydrator for drying tomatoes etc. Cookies too, crackers, nuts whatever I just won’t be using them for that purpose. Just fruit.

roadrunner, glad somebody finally agrees with me!I am a total fruitarian. I drink a glass of brewers’ yeast with water 2 or 3 times a day for protein, otherwise it’s just fruit.

I have heard that some people are against the fruitarian diet because of the risk for diabetes. HOWEVER, I think this is only true if you eat like 20 avocadoes, 10 bananas, 15 oranges, and 8 mangoes per day. When I heard that people do this, I was shocked and told me mother about this. She said yeah you will get diabetes eating that much fruit per day. It is a bit strange, I have never heard of eating that much fruit. Am I crazy or is that crazy!!!!! Sorry to seem so negattive, just took me by surprise when I heard about that.

Here’s some more info I read about extremely healthy fruits that are practically complete foods:

Seeded grapes and raisins have the sugars and the fat (from the seeds). Add grape leaves, and you’ve got the chlorophyll as well.

Apricots are also very healthy. Sugar from the fruit, and fat from the edible kernels!

Seeded watermelons are also great. Sugar from the fruit, and fat from the watermelon seeds. Add in the watermelon rind, or greens, and it’s a pretty much a complete food.

Last, but not least, is durian. Lots of protein, fat, and good carbs. :)