newbie with questions

edited December 2010 in New to Raw

’ve been lurking for a while, and finally signed up. Wanted to introduce myself to this great board, and also had a couple of questions. I checked out the deadfoodlist on purelyraw.com – so, I’m a huge fan of dried fruit, but the site indicates that most have been blanched, gassed, and high temp dried. Does anyone know if the dried fruit sold online at the Jaffe bros. site, on realrawfood.com, sunfood nutrition, rawguru, rawfoodtalk, naturalzing, or livingtree are exceptions to this rule? Also, I live in NYC and frequent both the Health Nuts stores and the Queens Health Emporium, both of which package their own dried fruit, and also sell in bulk bins – does anyone know if these are also exceptions? I can certainly ask on my next trip, but was curious to see if any fellow NYC-based raw foodies had already done so and might be willing to share what they learned.

One more thing – has anyone found a brand of nori that isn’t dried at high temps? The Maine Sea Coast Vegetables website states that their raw nori has not been heated above 105 degrees and is suitable for raw foodists – does anyone know if that’s true? what about the nori sold in the asian supermarkets (direct from Asia and all that)?

Thanks!

Comments

• I think you posted this topic twice, cuz I responded to it earlier today. You can delete one by choosing “edit” and then “delete post” – if you want it to come up to the top of the list again so people notice it, it will do that every time you reply to it (or anyone else does). The Maine Sea Coast brand has been recommended in raw food books, I believe.

• HI smithie!

I wrote the dead food list with my husband. We live in the UK so we’re not familiar with what’s avaliable over there. We find that if you look at most packaging there’s a customer care phone number or website, we just contact companies all the time and ask them if their stuff has been heated. I don’t think anyone we have contacted has ever not given us the info we wanted. I think the more people ask maybe one day the message will get through to them about raw food!!

I know Juliano sells raw nori on his website, but maybe that is at an inflated price coz it is him selling it? I would think that if the Maine Sea company specifically state it is ok for raw foodists that it is. The problems I had with the brand I used to use was that raw food websites were selling it as raw, so I thought it was OK, but when I called the manufacturer about it they said it wasn’t. I did tell the raw food website that was selling it, they changed the wording of their description but they still sell it!

• I’ll post it here, too. I don’t know for sure about your health food stores, but most is probably not raw, cuz it’s faster/more economical to dry at high temps when not concerned about raw. I love the raw dried fruit from www.therawchoice.com They also sell raw nori, which I haven’t tried, but www.goldminenaturalfood.com is my favorite source for sea vegetables.

• smithie03—another thing to consider is that your taste and appetite will change with this diet over time. so don’t get too worried about where all your dried fruit is going to come from… you might not like it that much in a month. get everything you can REALLY raw, and your body will start changing in amazing ways.

if you have a dehydrator that’s a really easy way to make your own too… and you can be sure it’s raw.

maine sea coast veggies have some raw items, some non-raw, but they are specified, so you have to be sure you check.

i agree with zoe about calling the company. really easy and they don’t mind at all!

• a local farmer here in washington dries their own fruit. it is so delicious and i have to have lots of plums and apricots right now for iron (because they are not in season i cannot get them fresh). dried fruits from the store are disgusting in comparison to their stuff. anyhow, i plan to dehydrate some of my own stuff this summer, but in the meantime I do like to have some raisins around. which brands do people recommend?

• www.therawchoice.com has some hunza raisins that are out of this world! and really raw – they have seeds, though, so if that is a problem… for me it’s an inconvenience that I’m happy to work around cuz the raisins are sooooo good!