carrot juice stains

edited December 2010 in New to Raw

I was wondering if there are any tips on how to thoroughly remove carrot juice from the juicer. I hand wash it with very hot water and soap and I’ve tried vinegar, but nothing seems to get off that oily orange residue. Thanks.

Comments

• I don’t have any eco friendly solutions. I used soft scrub with bleach, and it definately has chemicals.

• Hmmm. I also wonder if that residue contains bacteria that may seep back into new juice batches…

• what about backing soda?

• Yes, good thought, will try that next!

• what about lemon juice and leaving it in the sun?

• That might work in the summertime, but we are a bit short of the sun most of the year where I live :o)

• Try olive oil on a paper towel. Sounds weird, but works like a gem on mine :)

• I don’t think the stain indicates the presence of bacteria. I recently bought a Lexen juicer, which has a regular and wheat juice auger. The one for regular fruits/veggies is orange and the one for wheatgrass is green. I remembered fighting with the stains on my Omega and thought coloring the augers was really a smart idea.

• That was a smart idea! Rawmama, the olive oil worked pretty darned well…thanks for the tip!

• Looks like you already solved your stain crisis, but just in case… I see you tried white vinegar, but did you pour boiling water over the stain afterwards? That might be the key. I just did this on some pretty major blueberry stains and it worked like magic!

• Nature Clean Oxygen Bleach…Ingredients: A NON-PETROLEUM, NON-PHOSPHATE MINERAL BASED OXYGEN BLEACH CREATED FROM SODIUM PERCARBONATE (A FORM OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND SODA ASH) AND SODIUM CARBONATE. I use it on everything and it is safe for colors

• We have a GreenStar juicer. In the instructions, it says you can remove stains by soaking your juicer in warm water and baking soda.

We are going to try this method this weekend. I will let you know our results.