Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

pineapple leaves

I always like to create as little waste as possible. That’s why I juice those parts of plants and fruits that are usually thrown out. I have been juicing pineapple rind and leaves for that purpose, but I am not sure if it is entirely not poisonous. Does anyone know if it is ok or not? Are there other plants which their rinds or thougher parts cannot be juiced for example: asparagus, cantaloupe, corn or the skins of sweet potato.

kellyj619

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I Googled this and found: “Poisonous Part of pineapple: Sap from leaves. Symptoms Mild skin irritation from contact with juice; mechanical damage from sharp-pointed leaves; irritation to the eyes from splashed juice; irritation of mouth, lips, and tongue. ” But on Wikipedia I found it contestably edible, so you be the judge!!!

• RawTravelsRawTravels Raw Newbie

I don’t know anything about the leaves and have to say it had never occurred to me to juice the leaves. You’re quite adventurous. I have, in the past, juiced the rind of the pineapple. I remember that it was recommended for helping with carpal tunnel syndrome. Bromelain, a natural digestive enzyme that also has anti-inflammatory properties, is found in highest concentrations in the rind of the pineapple, (Only juice the rind if you know the pineapple has been grown organically.)

Pauline
  • parviainenparviainen Raw Newbie

Thanks a lot for all of your insight. I also tried to research stuff from the net myself. One site says, “All residual parts cores, skin and fruit ends are crushed and given a first pressing for juice to be canned as such or prepared as syrup used to fill the cans of fruit. Chlorophyll from the skin and ends imparts a greenish hue that must be eliminated and the juice must be used within 20 hours as it deteriorates quickly.” The same site goes on to say that they the green parts are actually sold in markets for consumption in Africa and Guatemala. But, then it goes on to say, “Excessive consumption of pineapple cores has caused the formation of fiber balls (bezoars) in the digestive tract.” So I guess it’s most important to make sure it is organic and not consume it too often just to be on the safe side. Even though juicing it would take out the fiber.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Another comment: I always use pineapple cores in smoothies as well as the stem (peel away the leaves and you’ll find the small walnut-sized stem – this is the part that contains the most bromelian).

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

There was a video on youtube from ‘blind guru’, and they were saying that the most densely nutritious part of the pineapple was the core and the leaves! They put them into a smoothie. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynIa3bPuMA

• kellyj619kellyj619 Raw Newbie

I always like to create as little waste as possible. That’s why I juice those parts of plants and fruits that are usually thrown out. I have been juicing pineapple rind and leaves for that purpose, but I am not sure if it is entirely not poisonous. Does anyone know if it is ok or not? Are there other plants which their rinds or thougher parts cannot be juiced for example: asparagus, cantaloupe, corn or the skins of sweet potato.

THE WHOLE PINEAPPLE IS HEALTHY AND GOOD TO EAT. ALL THIS POISON TALK IS NONSENSE. CAN SOME PPL BE ALERGIC, MAYBE, IT IS NOT POISON QUITE THE OPPOSITE, THE CORE, THE STEM AND THE LEAVES ARE ALL HEALTHY, TO FIGHT CANCER, DIABETE4S, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND A LAUNDRY LIST OF OTHER THINGS, LIKE IF YOUR ON BLOOD THINNER, THE LEAVES CAN REPLACE THE MEDS THEY GIVE THAT HAVE HORRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS, SO EAT ALL OF IT, EVERY SINGLE PART, THE CORE, STEM AND LEAVES I GRIND AND PUT IN SMOOTHIES. TRY A SMALL AMOUNT IF YOU HAVE NO BAD REACTION WHICH U PROBABLY WONT, EAT IT ALL, GOOGLE HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING A WHOLE PINEAPPLE, OR EATING THE LEAVES.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I had a cat that loved to chew the tops of all of my pineapples. He didn't seem any worse for it. smile