Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Our goal-100%

2»

Comments

• pianissima-Yahoo! I am excited about baked yams! I love to just munch them down right out of the oven! Another food that I am really having a hard time giving up is green beans cooked with red onion, cumin, and lemon. Thanks for the date surup idea. Do you know a good source of dates on line? We can get the ones in the grocery store, or a small bag of medjool for $10. I am kind of date crazy right now, plus I am going for the natural olives in red wine vinegar, and mushrooms marinated in Braggs aminos, too. I am seeing that there are a lot of phases that people go through, so I am just trying to ride the waves and make the best of it. Ya know, really I am thinking about this a lot. If one were to go from SAD to 100% fruititarian over night, well, where would they go when they slip up? Right back to SAD, however, if one were to go from Sad to vegitarianism, to combining, to raw to raw combining, and then more towards fruititarianism, there is kind of a cushion when they slip up because they will go back to some thing more healthy for a time and not just totally throw thier carefully farmed intestinat bac into a mortal mayhem frenzy. Whew! Just a thought!

• angie, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. I hate going to the doctor, or hospital. Of course I get harped on a lot for my weight! Any way, no, we do not hav a cosco, but I will just purchase them green from now on so that I can ripen them myself. It is so confusing to know which fruits ripen, and how, and ect. I did pick out a pineapple at the store today and pulled all the leaves to see if any were loose! Only one of them had loose leaves, so I purchased it. My kids love to pick up a pineapple and shout this is called food people! Just like Marcus Rothkranz did on the you tube go raw now trailer!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

gorawmom – Pineapples also ripen well if you buy them a little green. That thing you said about what do you go back to if there is no transition makes so much sense! Thanks for the insight :) That’s funny about your kids shouting in the grocery store – too bad I couldn’t get away with it like a teenager could… or could I get away with it? hmmm… :D

• Go for it, angie, that’s the spirit! Hee heee heee! My kids are kind of like Californians. One is fruity, and the other one is a nut! Gotta love California! Any way, I am sure I would if I ever got to go there! I’ve heard there are a lot of raw vegan types out there. You change your picture! I can’t quite make it out. What is it?

If you click on my pic it will take you to my profile & you can see it bigger – it’s a painting I did last semester with Mother Nature in the green area.

• Ok, now I see! I was thinking it was a fat man juggling when I was looking at the smaller image, Hmmm…perspective! It is amazing what a bit of clarity will do for you! ;)

heehee :) perspective, yes… clarity, definitely! Funny! :D

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hahahaha “this is called food people.” that’s awesome! =)

oh totally, give yourself LOADS of time, like chriscarlton says. it doesn’t make sense to become too clean too soon, because in a manner of speaking your body won’t really appreciate/notice how perfect you are being until your it is really clean anyway.

dates: if you have a costco near you they sell big containers for $10 (or about). the only online i’ve heard raved about are the date people… does anyone have a # or website for them?

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

LOL@ Angie…of course you can get by with that stuff. I got up on a conveyor belt at a checkout last xmas and sang ” I Want a Hippopotamus for Xmas” and got a round of applause, lol. My friends were mortified at first but what’s life without some fun, lol.

kevin – thanks! And I love that song – sorry I missed your performance :D

• I am wondering if any one can give me advice? bj has had a stuffy nose since he ate 15 brazille nuts a few days ago. Also, he has been getting light headed the last couple of days.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i got light headed a lot when i first went raw. i wasn’t eating enough greens and fat, and was eating too much sugar (fruits, dates).

brazil nuts aren’t raw unless you buy them in their shell. he might be having a reaction to that. dunno?

• pianissima – Yes. Must have been a reaction. He has always had allergies and now that he has gone raw, his breathing has improved, but spring time is always a doozy. He anounced this morning that he is 5 days away from being 1 month raw! I am so envious and it is really bothering jj that he has not been able to do it, too. We were just discussing about the fact that bj and my husband crave protein, and jj and I crave sugar, Sugar seems to be a harder addiction because of the chemicals in sugar, but there is more raw “sugar” choices! Any way, I did put some hemp in bj’s smoothie this morning along with coconut. It was a real good one with also banana, mango, orange, and spinich. Yum! I also gave him a rhubarb smoothie last night. I got the recipe here on this site, and it is possitively smashing!!!! I am wanting to work on him to learn to like avacado and tomatoe. That seems like a good combo and since he likes hot pepper, I am looking for a good recipe with those items to kind of encourage his palete to accept and enjoy the taste of them. By the way, jj has lost weight and he did not need to even though he says he did. This morning, though he looked rather defeated and said he was going to eat the school lunch. I will work on him over the summer b/c he wants to do this, but he will put off eating and then get too hungry and tired. My husband and I have both lost about 8 – 9 lbs. each. We both have a ways to go, but I am more concerned about my psychological health than I am my weight. I have just been so much more alive lately! I feel like I am waking up! It feels great, and my husband has even said to me that he is glad to have me back again! :)

Wow! Thanks for letting us know of the progress & challenges you all are experiencing – the smoothies sound wonderful :) If bj doesn’t like certain foods, there is no need to make him like them; I remember not liking raw broccoli, and praying for weeks that I would like what was good for me. After a while of eating what sounded good and studying nutrition, I realized that I wanted exactly what my body needed – and I still never ate raw broccoli until last fall, when I ate quite a bit of it for a few weeks – that was after 2 1/2 years! No worries – he will be drawn to the things that his body needs/wants, but if it really is just the taste, you can try making a chocolate or key lime pie/pudding with the avocados to cover the avo flavor? Does he like spaghetti sauce type things made with tomatoes? Or just nothing?

• I have tried the choc. pudding and he loves it even though is is mostly avacado! But if I give him some with his salad, he just kind of nibbles it here and there, and I end up eatin mine and the rest of his! When I ask him why he did not eat it he kind of shruggs and says he is full. He was always fine with cooked tomato sauces, but raw tomato makes him gag. That’s another thing, he has always had a strong gagging problem with things like soft fruits or veggies. He says it is the texture, not the taste so much. I had read somewhere that this can be a symptom of low level candita intoxication.

Interesting! My son has NEVER liked the texture of soft fruits/veggies – He loved peaches as baby food, but when I tried to start giving him chunks of fruit, he wouldn’t let it in his mouth to bite it! He would just push it away the second he felt the mushy fruit touch his lip or tongue or whatever. The only fruits he likes are apples and grapes, and the grapes have to be fresh so they have the sort of “crunch” when he bites into them :) If I force him to eat something like soft mushrooms, etc. that is mushy, he throws up.

If bj likes the pudding, I wouldn’t worry about making him eat the avocado any other way. Tomatoes, too – You can make a raw marinara sauce with fresh & sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon, olive oil, basil & sea salt – yummy! Then serve it over zucchini (I use a veggie peeler to make thin strips like flat noodles) or use as a pizza sauce on a raw crust – there are lots of raw pizza recipes, and marinara recipes, on this site & in raw recipe books. Or check out my son’s “Superhero Dressing” – fresh tomatoes with a little oil & sea salt, blended into a dressing. I have also made dressings with a little avocado blended in, for my son.

• Great! Thanks! It is nice to be able to talk to another mom that has has some of the same experiences. Thanks again. I will check out the Superhero Dressing! LOL!

No worries – maybe let me know what works for your son, too – my son doesn’t eat a lot of raw stuff, but thankfully he now FINALLY likes some of the raw chocolate stuff I make, so I get some good stuff in him by mixing it with chocolate ;) heehee – like avocados, young coconut meat, raw nuts, etc. My parents got a vita-mix recently, and Superman loves the “ice cream” that I make him with just froxen fruit and a little water and agave nectar. I make a batch, he eats part of it & I freeze leftovers into “popscicles” – some days that’s about all he wants – yay, Vita-Mix! He has also occasionally started drinking fresh fruit juices – maybe half a cup once a month, but, hey, it’s better than when he wouldn’t touch them :) One thing he really likes is fresh corn cut from the cob, mixed with a little olive oil and sea salt. I like mine with fresh salsa or other veggies in it, too.

• I will keep you informed. I am sure that your son will one day thank you for feeding him live foods! I love our vitamix! Try making 1 c.almond milk in it sweetened with maple syrup (or other sweetner) and then blending a large peach and 2 frozen bananas. He will love it! You can even sneek in a bit of hemp for extra protein. We make our almond milk by soaking the almonds overnight and then popping them out of the skin. 1 c. water to 1/4 c. almonds and 1 T. maple syrup or other sweetner. No nead to strain it!

I cannot even believe that bj is doing this! I never would have guessed that my son would be leading me into health! He has given me a greater gift than any one ever has! He has brought me back to life. I know that God did this thing in him because it never would have happened otherwise! One thing that kind of helped, is that he has a friend at school that comes from a vegatarian family. They are vegitarian first for the love of animals, but also for health. Well recently, bj spent some time in his friend’s home, and noticed that lack of live food. Now, bj is telling me that they have decided to start going raw because he has inspired them! Isn’t that cool?!!!

• Update – bj has lost a total of 40 lbs. as of this morning! Yahoo! He was really wanting to be under 300 this morning, but has been really going a bit overboard on the nuts. However, his will power is holding out very well even in the face of parties with catered in mexican food! At that particular party there was a ton of food and absolutely nothing raw! You would think there would be some lettuce tomatoe, guacamole… something, but nope, everything there was cooked, so he waited until he could get home.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Wow!! that is amazing!! Congrat. to bj!

If he can do that, I can certainly “stick to my guns” at our family barbecue this afternoon – it’s at our house where I’ll have access to all my own food!!! Thank you for posting his progress! I wouldn’t worry too much about the nuts or a schedule for losing weight – 40 pounds is amazing!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

wow 40 pounds! what an accomplishment! i tend to go nuts on nuts at times so i have learned to pace myself a bit. eat a small handful of nuts and raisins then have a fruit. then later if i am still hungry i can have more. nuts are really good for protein, leveling blood sugar, etc. but you have to be careful not to eat too many at once.

• I told him a good rule is two handfuls a day. But sometimes less and sometimes more if it is in a nutty recipe. Nuts are expensive, and he has a big appetite! Today he ate half a pineapple for lunch. He really seemed to enjoy his mono meal! jj had 1/4 water melon, and dad had homemade stir fry! But, better than the barbeque that he wanted! I had a nori wrap as I saw on a you tube video by Karen Knowler. That wrap was horrible! It was my first try, and it was stringy, and hard to chew! Anyone have any hints as to what was the problem?