Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

vacuum sealer

Can anyone suggest a certain make/model for a vacuum sealer?

I am under the impression that the FoodSaver is a good make but what model?

lunae

Comments

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I’m interested as well, but i want one that i can use to seal things in glass, especially mason jars. I try to stay away from plastic whenever possible.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I have the food savor and used it for storing dehydrated food for travel. Then, I found out dehydrated food keeps well that I never used it again. But, I’m beginning to think I need to buy the containers to store my fresh fruits/veggies (instead of using disposable bags). But, for what I did use it for, I like mine. Works well… it really sucks!

What model? Sorry, I can’t say because it’s in storage… but we got ours 1.5 years ago.

I’d like to hear what others say about using the jars with the Food Savor!

I have the food savor and used it for storing dehydrated food for travel. Then, I found out dehydrated food keeps well that I never used it again. But, I’m beginning to think I need to buy the containers to store my fresh fruits/veggies (instead of using disposable bags). But, for what I did use it for, I like mine. Works well… it really sucks!

What model? Sorry, I can’t say because it’s in storage… but we got ours 1.5 years ago.

• I mentioned wanting a vacuum sealer last summer. My Mom (the queen of garage sales) found one for $5 and proudly brought it home for me. It is ‘ok’ but doesn’t seem to suck as well as I have envisioned. I them spoke to a girlfriend who has a good one and said that she has experimented with the cheaper and the more expensive ones and definitely the more expensive ones are worth the money. She said the cheaper ones don’t do any better of a job than you could do with a straw and regular plastic freezer bags. So – the long story short – spend the money. She said that she paid about $180 for hers – can’t recall the name. I hope that helps.

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

I resisted buying my Food Saver for years because I thought it was too gimicky, but I bought one last month and I absolutely love, love, love it. I seal up my vegetable/fruit juices in Mason jars, I use the leftover containers for almost everything else, I use the bottle sealer for my oils and the plastic bags are really good for keeping onions fresh and not stinking up the fridge (as well as lots of other things like my son’s favorite cheese) plus you can make the bags any size you want. The rest of my family is not raw, so I do cook and freeze individual portions in the bags as well. I don’t know the exact model number right now, I can look it up if you like, but I bought it at Costco and they only sell one model. I used to have a Seal A Meal and it doesn’t compare. The FoodSaver really does vacuum all the air out. I enthusiastically give it a triple thumbs up!

Yeah. Thanks sueko. We get our CSA food soon… and I may need to start vacuum packing some food. Glad to hear that purchasing the jars will be a good investment for us.

So, you use Mason jars… do we need special adaptors for the Food Savor? Or, is it quite adaptable to any size jar? I haven’t looked much into… but I should check their website.

• jamesjjamesj Raw Newbie

Firstly, there are mainly two kinds of vacuum sealer: manual and automatic. Before choosing one, make it clear what type is the best for you.

Manual sealers give you more control when sealing certain soft foods you don't want to get crushed like berries or bread. Alternatively, liquids that might spill over into the machine. (An automatic sealer's mmanual mode have to be utilized for liquids anyway. Manual models can be less finicky then their automatic counterparts. There exist fewer chances for bugs, including the sensor not detecting the bag. Manual models also require less bag material, since the automatic models require that you insert more of the bag material on the machine in order for the sensor to detect it and trigger the sealing process. That excess material gets wasted.

When you have a concept about those different types of vacuum sealer, I'd love to state my suggestion. FoodSaver is a well-known brand of vacuum sealer and other kitchen appliance. It is great, but after compare it with other brands, I find out it is more expensive. 

• lunaelunae Raw Newbie

Yes, there are several great vacuum sealer machine from FoodSaver brand. For the home use, FoodSaver V3460 will be a nice one.  

• lunaelunae Raw Newbie
    germin8 said:

Hi, I am a vacuum sealer expert. As an expert I suggest you, buy a compact machine for you. Because the best vacuum sealer for the traveler is compact size machine.  

• teresafteresaf Raw Newbie

I can recommend FoodSaver V4840, have been useing this for over a month now and im happy with it.

My old vacuum sealer crushed fruits when I tried to vacuum seal them, but this FoodSaver V4840 is just perfect, my fruits stay long fresh with vacuum sealing them :)

• alyarb03alyarb03 Raw Newbie

I tried Foodsaver 4980. It is a good product to buy for storing the food. With the use of food saver, you can customize your bags with in-built roll storage. Easy to clean and use. It automatically seals the bags. 

• lindyshellylindyshelly Raw Newbie

Yes, a vacuum sealer will keep your food fresh, save your both money and time. I suggest you buy a good quality food saver device. I bought a FoodSaver V2244 1 years ago which works brilliantly. The features, performance, durability, ease of use of this device is awesome.