Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bleach alternative and dryer sheets

I’ve been using soap nuts for a few weeks now and they are okay. I’m not crazy about them, but I’m happy that I’m no longer polluting the water and our clothes. However, my washclothes and dish towels are looking mighty dingy since I’ve stopped using bleach. Any solutions? They smell stinky too – no clean at all. I broke down and bought some Method dryer sheets because I couldn’t take the vinegary smell of our laundry and the static. So if you have any solutions for that I’m all ears. I tried essential oils…I didn’t notice any improvement.

Comments

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

Try hydrogen peroxide.

• Nature Clean Liquid Bleach This liquid bleach is created from hydrogen peroxide, one of the most environmentally safe chemicals on the market. It works by releasing oxygen, performing both a bleaching and disinfecting process, and converting itself into simple H2O (water) once the process is complete.

Chlorine Free, Infant Safe, Safe for Whites and Colours, Hypoallergenic, Non-Toxic, Not tested on Animals, No Animal ingredients, Septic Safe – Biodegrades 99% within 28 days

• Nature clean products look awesome, but they ship from canada and the shipping charge was rediculous!! Any US alternative?

• laundry-alternative They are out of Vermont but I don’t know if they ship out products or just research them.

Natural Choices They are out of Wisconsin and you can order directly from their website.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

LIBBYB - I know how you feel. I switched to soapnuts a few weeks ago too. I don’t have children at home and don’t do anything that gets me too dirty (except gardening on the weekends and I have special clothes for that which I don’t expect to come clean) so they work for my laundry with the exception of my dishclothes. I buy those cheap white bulk washclothes so I don’t care how bad they look. I am just using them to clean. I actually use dish brushes to clean my dishes. But the dish clothes look unusually dingy. At 25 for $7 I don’t care anyway.

I spray exxential oil water on my clothes as I remove them from the washer. I haven’t had any luck adding it to the rinse cycle. I know some people add it to the clothes before putting them in the dryer. I don’t know how well that will work. But it does feel good to do something that isn’t contributing to the mess. I used to use plant based detergents until I learned they were all made out of soy. I don’t want to help promote the production of GMO crops either. It is hard to find a good ecological product sometimes.

• http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=55… I use dryer balls. You can use the same ones for at least a year. You can buy them online or at Bed Bath & Beyond.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

The soap nuts ruined my whites!! But made my sheets very soft. I’m correcting this with Seventh Generation non-chlorine bleach which I think is hydrogen peroxide based. Also – Trader Joe’s lavender dryer sachets are lovely – they’re just dried lavender in reusable packets that you throw in the dryer.

• Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions!

I’ve been adding white vinegar to my wash, and it has really helped with the smell and the softness! As for the whites, I’m going to try some hydrogen peroxide mixes.

Amysue- I grow lavender every year – maybe I’ll try to make some of my own sachets! I never thought of that!!

• Does anyone know anything about Charlie’s Soap?

http://www.charliesoap.com/