food saver

Does anyone use the Food Saver Vaccuum Sealer product? If so, do you cut fruits and vegetables in advance for the whole week? Considering that this takes the air out of the bag, would you recommend cutting fruits/veg in advance for the whole week?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Anyone else care to “wade in” on this topic?

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i have the “green bags” (don’t know what they’re called, bought them at bed bath and beyond) and they are GREAT. I reuse them so they’re cheap, and they keep my veggies lasting waaay longer, like up to a week in the fridge. Highly recommend.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey emptdmom, which food saver do you use? I am interested in buying a food saver, but I do not want to use plastic bags or containers. I really want to get one that will seal glass containers. I’d appreciate any input you have. Thanks!

RCBAlive, I am on vacation at the moment, and can’t tell you which Food Saver model I have. I purchased the gadget that lets me seal glass jars at either WalMart or Kitchen Collection. It is a Food Saver brand, and comes with a tube to connect to the Food Saver and sealing caps in two sizes (regular and wide mouth). I prefer the wide mouth jars, and use them for freezer, refrigerator and dry storage. I will let you know the precise model when I get back home (about 3 weeks).

I have some of the Green Bags, and am pleased with their performance as well.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I love using my Food Saver. It’s awesome, and I love that I can use my glass mason jars with the attachment. The model of Food Saver I have is V2440.

I wrote about it on my blog. If you’d like to read the details, visit: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2007/09/food-sa…

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

I LOVE my Food Saver. The bags are perfect for freezing fresh fruit and veggies, fruit juice cubes, etc. I use the “gadget” that seals glass canning / freezing jars to store dry ingredients, dehydrated nuts, occasionally leftovers, etc. I recently discovered that these lids also fit a couple of interesting “antique” glass canisters I’ve acquired. My dry ingredient shelf is a little more attractive now.

I use biodegradable bags to pick up my puppy’s poop (an apartment complex requirement), but the bags are much bigger than I need. I cut them in half and use my Food Saver to seam the bottom of the second bag—a “two for the price of one”.

A word of caution -- if you should choose to use the plastic storage containers, DO NOT put the lids in the dishwasher or soak them in water. The adhesive that holds the gasket in place will dissolve, making the lid useless.