Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

100% raw for 30 days...whose in with me???

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ooh raw tablouli! I want the recipe!

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

You’ll be okay—eat LOTS of bananas!!! That’s always what my DH does when he travels.

Do we’re on to day 9 everyone!!!! I just ran a very fast 2.5 miles and I am bushed. I shoulud have had my smoothie the minute I returned from the run but I didn’t as the kids needed breakfast and DH and I decided to rearrange the furniture in the living room. Within about 20 minutes I was so cranky!! So I am drinking my big kale, peach, plum, e3live and banana smoothie now and then it’s off to the pool with the boys for the day.It’s hot hot hot here in nyc.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

raw tabouli – It’s a variation of Matt Amsden’s recipe, although he calls for 6 bunches of parsley and I’ve never used that much. By heart, here’s what I do – chop equal amounts of tomato, peeled cucumber and sweet onion, throw in a bowl. Pick the leaves off one big bunch of parsley and chop in the food processor, throw in bowl. In the blender combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, at least one big garlic clove and 1 teaspoon of salt. Blend and dump over salad. Done! Just check your teeth after eating.

I must be detoxing today. For the last two days I’ve been adding amazing fresh green juices to my diet (blending in the Vitamix and straining with my nutmilk bag) and today I’m groggy with a headache.

nycgrrl – the idea of running 2.5 miles is so foreign to me, not to mention in NYC. Lots of respect for you!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’m on day three of my 100% raw can I join in?!

I did 100% raw a month or two ago for 30 days and it was amazing but I didn’t even think to make it a lifestyle until I noticed all my health problems returning and wanted to find a solution for good.

Forgot the hemp seed in the tabouli – 1/2 cup.

troublesjustabubble – I’m the same, I’m hoping this is for good, but I like going through the first 30 days 100% with a group. I’ve also joined Bunny Berry’s second 100 day raw food challenge just because it sounds like fun and why not?

amysue-I didn’t have a group for my thirty days since I literally didn’t know there were any but a lot of my friends and family were inspired by the great changes that I had and joined in during it.

Now that I want to do it as a lifestyle I’m sooo glad there are sites like this for support.

Hi Trouble! Glad you’re joining us! you can also join rawfu, if you’re interested in a raw 100 day challenge starting aug 1: http://www.rawfu.com/ I will be doing it, although i may be shooting for high raw as opposed to 100%. My high raw is still about 95%, so that’s cool with me :)

So everyone, I got my goodies from therawbakery.com and I haven’t tried the granola yet but it looks amazing. I am eating the Marshmallow Chews (or something like that) right now and they’re amazing!! Definitely when you’re in a rut, eating-wise, or craving something cooked like granola, it helps to go online and find someone whose perfected the raw version. Of course, I don’t really have the cash to do that all the time, but it’s so delicious!!

I had a totally raw day today again, and ran a fast 2.5 miles this morning. It was so hot out today in nyc 94 and muggy, so I feel a bit drained. Going to have a huge salad tonight, and that’s all I know. Maybe some fruit too. I have been feeling so much lighter emotionally—more open to dealing with my children without frustration, and also to dealing with negative situations. Today I went by Quintessence in the East Vilalge and ordered a lunch special (it’s a great raw restaurant) and went outside, with my kids, to wait in the 94 degree heat. Well , they forgot I was out there, and I ended up waiting a long time with 2 cranky kids. But y ou know what, I didn’t get mad or annoyed or frustrated. In fact, I didn’t even go back in to check on my meal (which I should have, given that it was sitting there waiting for me for God knows how long!) this is very different for me. Normally I would be so annoyed that they forgot about me, here I am, so hot and tired with 2 kids, blah blah blah. But the annoyance just wasn’t there. Isn’t that weird???

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Nycgrrl I have noticed that too. I am less stressed out on raw. Of course, I have my moment as well all do but overall I seem to be stronger.

thank you for the tabouli recipe. sounds delicious.

I am currently waiting to go on a run but really “clogged up” if you know what I mean. Sorry if TMI. Maybe the run would help though.

nycgrrl – is the raw bakery stuff what Bunny Berry was raving about on one of her videos?? I just remember her orgasmically munching away at something that she had ordered. Just curious.

troublesjustabubble – I just read your bio and I understand what you mean about loving to cook. I can’t say I’ve ever loved to cook, but I LOVE good food and after many years I got really good at vegetarian cooking, to the point where i didn’t have to rely on a cookbook. Going raw was like going back to square one. My first experiments frightened my family. Dinner would often consist of my husband waiting for me to take the first bite because half the time I would taste it and say, “Okay, forget it, you don’t have to eat it.”

Feeling better today and Dad just brought in a bag of freshly picked corn. Wish I could make nycgrrl’s soup but no cashews.

I do have trouble looking at a cookbook so raw uncooking has been really fun experimenting with the past few days. I don’t know if I could do it for anyone else but me though! Hopefully I’ll get good enough to uncook for my husband soon. hehe.

Bitt, I totally know what you mean about being “clogged up”. The past couple years I dealt with it so badly that I went an entire 20 days without….you know. It was hell. I ended up taking two laxatives a day just to get things moving a little bit. That was the main thing that sent me searching for solutions and when I discovered raw it was like my life was beginning again.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Things are moving again! I took some magnesium, that always helps. It’s this stupid drug I am still on. I am mostly on it because I am scared to death of the awful detox.

I am so proud of myself I was really tired and didn’t want to run yesterday and spend 2 hours procrastinating running but then I finally did it. And I felt so great.

Yeah I have had some recipe disasters. I have learned to only try stuff recommended by someone else. It’s easy on this site because you can see the popular recipes.

amysue you could make the jalenpino corn chips, no cashews needed.

Nice idea Bitt, but no dehydrator here at my parents, definitely want to make them when I get home. I just threw the corn on my salad and it was lovely.

I think I’m feeling better since starting on green juices this week. This may be my missing link, other than going 100%. It’s all Matt Monarch’s influence.

troublesjustabubble – I looked at your website and you’ll need to explain it to me since I live in a second grade world right now and never really had a grown-up job. Is the site for a company? Sorry to be clueless but I want to understand. And did you say homeschooled and one of seven?? I get how that works with homeschooling because you have a group to do the activities with and the older kids can help the younger, I would guess it would be fun. My daughter and I have fun but things like Twister just aren’t the same with two people.

Hi all! Have to update my blog with yesterday’s info, but today I ran my 4 mile race in 38:30!! that’s a personal best and MUCH faster than my goal of 46 minutes!!! I am so happy, felt great during the run, and feel great hours later. I didn’t get tired or get any cramps even though it was like 90 degrees out! just had to share!!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yeah nycgrrl! way to go! isn’t it true that raw makes you more powerful?

i am having some bad virus or detox right now. my tummy is not good. is this possible still 3 months down the road?

Go nycgrrl! I’m so not athletic so I’m all the more impressed!

Bitt – absolutely! Mine were few and far between, but yeah, you’ll be surprised. I remember Matt Monarch saying if you’re a raw foodist it’s like detoxing for life, it never ends. Sorry, but it should pass quickly, not like a regular illness.

I was interrogated by my nieces at dinner tonight. They feel sorry for me (they were eating pizza). Good they’re asking questions, though.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

amysue you were right! it did pass quickly. i wonder if it was because i had eaten some non-raw cashews (well, labeled raw at the grocery store but you know the deal) last week. Bad choice.

I made some chocolate almond butter balls with the Rawsie’s recipe. So good!

Okay, so I’m just back from Raw Fu where I saw Bitt and nycgrrl and I realized that I’ve never been on any forum other than Gone Raw and I was way out of my comfort zone! I love Bunny Berry so I couldn’t not join, but it’s going to take me a while to figure out my way around.I’m looking forward to it but I’m a bit clueless!

bitt- I miss cashews so much. They were my comfort food (“raw” from Trader Joe’s), I shovelled them down everyday, but I haven’t had them since I went 100%. Eventually I’ll probably order them from Sunfoods but they’ll be much more expensive and I’ll have to control the shovelling habit.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

amysue, that’s funny you said that. there is a really different tone on rawFu. people are kinda sensitive. i am hiding out over here for awhile now.

yeah my grocery store has raw cashews from sunfoods sometimes, but not all the time. i’ve never really loved them but they are in so many great things that i want to make (mostly desserts).

So blah today! And really fuzzy in the brain. When I really have to concentrate when I read to my daughter I know something’s up in the body, hopefully some mass die-off of nasties inside.

I’m really ready for some of that 100% raw food magic. Where is it????

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

have you tried wheatgrass shots? they are magic for me!

bitt- is this to buy or make?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

to drink i suppose. i don’t have a wheatgrass juicer i get it at the health food store.

Oh, bitt, I wrote this long answer last night to your question about your family and the site swallowed it up! Now I’m trying to think of what I said. Oh, I know – I just thought the fact that they have always been supportive of your dietary restrictions is a good indicator that they’re not going to give you a hard time about this. I was also nervous to tell my family, just for the concern I might get, now we’re long past that and nobody thinks twice about me at the holidays or any other time. I also try to wow them with recipes, say with maybe a Cherry Cacao cobbler kind of thing, that wins them over!

When I said “where’s the raw food magic” I guess I meant, not a particular food, but the magic that’s supposed to come from eating 100% raw that Chris and Zoe talk about. Not to beat them up, they’ve obviously got it going on, I just feel like I should be feeling some magic by now but I feel like the same old me. Maybe the changes have been so gradual and so subtle that I don’t even notice. Maybe wheatgrass shots are magic, just wouldn’t know where to get them. Thanks for the idea.

amysue-i am feeling fuzzy too-i think it’s the heat and humidity. On my run today, i got a really bad runner’s cramp in my side—basically was unable to run. I was either dehydrated or breathing wrong or something. Really bummed me out alot.

but i feel okay now, a few hours later—lighter. My day yesterday was bad, in comparison to every other day this month (although, now that i think about it, it was probably very similar to all my days pre-raw!!) I was irritable, felt out of it, tired, and bummed. Maybe just dehydrated???? I don’t know.

nycgrrl – I think about you running in NYC and I can’t imagine. The weather does stink this week. Ever since we’ve been in VT it’s either been steamy oppressive or grey and raining. Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s comforting to know others are struggling too. Sometimes the raw world sounds like so much love and light and everyone’s bounding around feeling fantastic and I wonder what’s wrong with me. Not that I don’t want that too! So that is about as unsupportive as I could possibly be on this supportive forum! Enough of my woes. I really do admire you and all runners and I’m sorry you had a tough time today. Dehydrated sounds about right considering I’ve been pouring out sweat just sitting around reading books. Wonder what the cramp was? Have you checked out Tim Van Orden’s Running Raw Project? You might find it inspiring. I may be meeting up with him this week here in VT. Hope he doesn’t ask me to go for a run…

I feel death when I try to run in this heat. I know that NYC is also bad (I’m in Kansas City, MO) but it’s around a hundred degrees here daily. I just get heat sickness. There may be some dehydration too.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don’t know why i do this to myself…but I looked in the 80/10/10 forum and I feel like I am doing everything the wrong way. Just when I seem to get this diet down something else comes my way and tells me that I should do it a different way. It gets me really down. I guess I need some raw magic too. I think you can’t expect to have raw cure everything in your life. I have realized that the hard way. It will help with a lot but it can’t be everything. Has anyone ever seen Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium? (it’s a movie with Dustin Hoffman). Anyhow, they had this wooden block and it was supposed to be magic. But it didn’t do anything until she started believing it was magic. Sort of like that last missing piece was in herself, not in the block. I think that might be what raw magic means to me. Oh this is a good blog topic…off to expand it. ;-)

Okay ladies—enough of our pity party. I am feeling SO much better right now. Okay, so i had an off day yesterday. The heat isn’t helping. Be happy..

okay, that was a pathetic attempt at inspiration but I have more to say, esp to you bitt, but right now my kids are hanging on my arm so i can’t post…will post more later.

I’m feeling better, no worries here. I haven’t looked at the 80-10-10, no idea what it is. I peeked at it once when it first started and there seemed to be some sort of debate going on and then whoever started it said he was leaving, but then it continued but I decided to stay away because there seemed to be some reference to limiting fat and that’s NOT where I’m at right now!

One breakthrough, the only makeup I’ve worn this week is concealer and mascara and that’s unheard of since I was 13 or 14. Cause I think I don’t need it as much, maybe it’s just the summer color, but that’s something for me. Maybe it’s my twice daily green juices, or the 100%, but I like it!

Okay, I am back. Here’s the thing—i think we have to be DEDICATED to raw, but not obsessed with it. we have to live our lives. Not every thing that goes wrong is caused by eating the wrong thing. Sometimes our bodies just need to adjust, I think, to eating raw. And we have to sleep enough, and meditate,and exercise,and journal. There are many things we (the collective we) need todo to be healthy. I had an off day yesterday, but felt better today, despite getting a realy bad runner’s stitch during my morning run.

I blogged about it: