Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

100% raw for 30 days...whose in with me???

Comments

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Oh, and bitt-don’t read too much right now, that’s my advice. Focus on being raw, focus on your body. Eventually you will be able to hear what YOUR body needs. I tried to follow 811 and wasn’t 100% succesfull, but when I got out of the “i must follow this diet’ mindset I found I naturally tend to eat lots of fruits and greens. Okay, so I put olive oil on my salad (which i am sure brings me up to 25% fat or so)...but right now I LIKE olive oil on my salads. Maybe one day it will taste too greasy or something, but right now, I need Udo’s Oil for the omega-3 and olive oil for the taste.

my number one reason for going raw is to get off anti-depressant meds, and so far, I have done that. I’ve been totally clean for 3 weeks. And reason #2, to get in shape again, and that’s going well so far too.

Keep in mind what your personal goals are, and listen to your body to find out if you’re achieving them

• You all are inspiring so many people by sharing your daily lives. By being raw (and not just in the food way!) and real, you are showing everyone that this can be done naturally, passionately and freely…. and people don’t have to have “it” all figured out to live healthy, creative and inspired lives. Our lives should be about freedom, love and sharing it with others and you are doing it. You are so encouraging. I have so enjoyed following this thread.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I totally feel that mamamilk! I really enjoy this thread because everyone is open and honest about their triumphs and mistakes. That’s really cool

Speaking of mistakes. Today was my 1st anniversary and I had fish(rainbow trout) and creme brulee. It was simply a “mistake” because I knew what I was doing and why. Only have an anniversary once a year and my husband has been planning this one for longer than I’ve been on this raw stint! It was special and worth it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

thanks nycgrrl, i was at a low moment and i happened to be in here. i am so inspired by you all. i can’t believe how much I have learned and grown from being raw! i too am off some meds (not all but 2 out of 3). good for you!

amysue, no fat is not where I am at either. i experiment with lowerfat meals and higher fat ones. this afternoon i had a green smoothie for a snack but then made raw chocolate for a dessert (it was so yummy). I am still experimenting with what feels best for me.

troublebubble, no big deal! you can go ahead back to your raw diet tomorrow if you wish. i did the same thing on my birthday. some folks had gone to great lengths to get me some vegan gluten-free cupcakes and I was NOT gonna turn those down! It was actually a good lesson for me to learn that I could do that and not have to go on a binge or go off raw just from one day off. It was pretty empowering to be able to be in control and know that it was ok what I was doing. anyhow, congrats on your first anniversary!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like it was really special. What a great meal, two of my former favorites. One thing I’ve found about raw is I have a much stronger sense of good food. Early on I ate some kind of junk like M&M’s or something and they tasted awful, but then I would have something really high quality and it would taste insanely good, so I reserved the cooked for times when I knew it would be unbelievable and worth it. Not needing the cooked right now with this new 100% kick. Yesterday I had raw carrot cake (undehydrated) for lunch, Hannah Hunnicutt’s and it was yu-mmy and last night my Mom made the raw chili she’s been dying to try since I raved about it and she loved it. Drinking my watermelon, beet green, kale cucumber juice right now and the weather looks beautiful!!

mamamilk – that is so kind of you to say, nice to hear. I read a lot about Buddhism and I was comforted to hear stories of Buddhist teachers getting grumpy or impatient so I don’t feel too bad when it happens.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I most certainly knew that I was not eating raw but never intended to binge afterwards. That’s a past problem that is so hopefully in my past forever. hehe.

amysue, that is so true about good food. My meal was amazing and surprisingly I enjoyed the fish with tons and tons of lemon juice and then when I moved to the grilled asparagus(also totally amazing) I had to drench them in lemon juice too. Everything tasted a bit salty since I haven’t had to much salt lately but that made it very good too. I just have learned to love that tang of lemon juice that I hadn’t appreciated before. Very neat.

How is everyone doing?

bitt- feeling better about the visit??

troublesjustabubble – how’s the hair so far??

nycgrrl – good day? Seemed like a better running day today.

Feeling good here, the weather was the best yet until we got dumped on. I’ve seen some very cool wildlife this week – a big fat woodchuck, hummingbirds, butterflies, chipmunks. I tried to take in my Mom’s flower garden this morning and get my vitamin D at the same time. It’s gorgeous – perennials, annuals, herbs, beautiful baby lettuce, hanging plants and pots everywhere. She makes it look easy. I’m going to go home to monstrous weeds. We had a delightful dinner of tossed salad with Zoe’s Cheese with Spring Onions except I made it with garlic and BASIL – purple and green. So yummy. Mom loved it and is going to make it for her next garden party. She’s not raw but she appreciates good food. Dad has too many health issues to enjoy a lot of what I make.

hey all so it turns out i didn’t just get a side stitch but i actually pulled a muscle in my side. probably from not listening to my body and trying to ‘push through’ my stitch. Darn. So this morning i only ran 2.5 miles—wasn’t TOO painful but didn’t feel great. Tomorrow morn i will just do the elliptical machine and not run, and hopefully thursday it will be gone. that’s what i get for not listening.

today was good. I am going to blog about it later, but I felt good all day except for losing my temper briefly with my eldest. I wonder if being off anti-depressant meds is beginning to affect me—irritability was my MAJOR issue before going on meds; it’s how i manifested depression. I don’t FEEL depressed though; besides these bouts of anger, I feel good.

I ate a big box of blueberries and 3 banans for lunch, dinner is 5 tomatoes with basil and olive oil and sea salt, and maybe some strawberries later.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Troublesjustabubble – Okay, so this is off topic, but i was just reading through some of your posts, and i read your bio… sound exaclty like my life! Just out of curiosity, was it Lupron that you were on? I was on that for 9 months straight and then another 6 month stint.. still feeling the effects of it on my body and that was almost 8 years ago!

I’m juicing right now but your meals are making me jealous :) Keep up the good work! When i’m done juicing, no nuts for me – just seeds… I’m looking forward to chocolate pudding made w/ avacado :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

carrie—juice feasting, good for you! ah i could not last longer than 24 hours, i am so weak.

I feel like crap today. It is that time of the month and there is no sun for me to lie in. I am so sick of the gray that I just can’t tolerate it in the summer too! Jeez, now who’s irritable?

amysue, what a great idea to put basil in the Cheese with Spring Onions. I mixed mine with some italian herbs last night and used it as a ravioli filling.

nycgrrl, do you run everyday? I went biking instead yesterday and now I dont know what I will do today. With all this blood rushing out of me not sure it is a good idea. I might download some free yoga lessons.

Hey bitt: i run 5 days a week or at least do something. I pulled a muscle in my side so will do elliptical for a couple of days.

I would really appreciate some feedback about something I have been experiencing over the last couple of days. I blogged about it: http://doingtherawthing.blogspot.com/

thanks everyone.

Hey all! I couldn’t get on the site yesterday to tell you what a wonderful day I had yesterday! I went with my parents to see Mama Mia and we LOVED IT! If you can love a movie at 12:45 pm in a rinky dink little theater with your parents it musts be good! I’m hoping to see it again with my husband after we get back home. Fun fun fun. And all the gorgeous sunny shots of Greece were therapeutic after the buckets of rain that have fallen this week. Then I happened to find this video on Angela Stokes site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYbFQFXG0U It’s been in the news recently but I hadn’t seen it and it just filled me with such joy I felt like I was going to burst. I’ve watched it about 10 times already, showing it to everyone in the house and I just showed it to my daughter and she cried all over me. I promise it’s happy though.

Sorry none of that had anything to do with eating 100% raw, drinking a cacao banana smoothie heavy on the cayenne right now. Feeling good. Feel like I’m firming up even though the part of me that’s getting any exercise is my brain – I’ve read 4 books since I got here.

Bitt – SORRY. It’s’ raining here too. Only advice I can give is to watch that video…

nycgrrl – hmmm, I read your blog and all I can say is that just about every raw foodist I’ve ever read says that they eat less with time. I don’t know how it’s impacting your exercise, but it doesn’t seem like a bad thing. If you’re eating higher quality nutrient-rich foods it makes sense that you’ll need less with time. I welcome that change! I am seeing it a little tiny bit, being satisfied by water with lemon and green juice until mid-late morning is new for me. Sorry about the muscle, ouch.

• nycgrrl – perhaps your body needs to rest. digestion takes a lot of energy, and maybe your body needs some repair (hence low appetite). i just checked into this thread, but you mentioned you pulled a muscle and you have been getting side stitch from running. is it possible that you have been over training i.e. not giving your body time to recover from previous workouts?

hope this helps :o) (by the way, i live in nyc too – it’s been soooo hot and humid – not easy for running outside)

• woohoo, my husband and I are through week two! so far everything is great, other than an allergy flare up for my husband after he drank a bunch of wine…(ok not really raw there) and me discovering I am still allergic to sunflower seeds if I eat too many. (suck.) anyone gotten over food allergies on this diet?

merwing – good for you! A lot of raw foodists consider wine raw since it’s not heated, but maybe it’s a sulfite issue, I know that’s a problem for lots. Sorry I don’t know about the allergies, don’t have any myself.

my main food allergy was to dairy products and definitely haven’t gotten over that. ha.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

merwing, i have avoided many of my food allergies (wheat and dairy) on this diet! my husband is allergic to flax, garlic and bananas, three staples in raw so I understand how you must feel. he has not gotten over the garlic one and hasn’t pushed the other so I won’t make him. was the wine red or white? i hear that matters for some.

i feel better today because the sun is out!!! I am realizing when i feel like crap and don’t want to run, running is probably what I SHOULD do. made me feel better.

off to sell some clothes today. lots don’t fit due to weight loss.

I haven’t felt like eating salad today. i am having ani’s raw pancakes with berries. yum. sometimes fruit is just what i need. I already had 2 bananas today and a smoothie too.

I practically ate half a pineapple today and I’m sure it was waay to much acid for such a short time but I couldn’t get enough. Your’e right bitt, sometimes fruit just hits the spot

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

oh man…that lion video broke my heart. wiping away tears

I know. Even the Whitney Houston with the pause before the lion comes running down and jumps all over them – it’s perfect. It’s exactly what my dog does, just on a much bigger scale!

So apparently running has different hazards depending on where you live – in NYC it would be the pollution and heat, here it’s bears. My sister’s friend was running yesterday morning and came face to face with a black bear. She was fine, two cars pulled up behind her and talked her back to them. In the past year she’s run into the bear, a fisher cat, a coyote and a bobcat. We’re not even in the sticks.

So today was better! took it easy, didn’t run around the city, just hung out and digiscrapped while my kids played and watched Magic Schoolbus. Did about 30 minutes of elliptical—my pulled muscle is still painful so I couldn’t run :(

Had a late breakfast: smoothie and green tea, lunch was a HUGE salad with delicious macadamia nut dressing (got the nuts from rawfoods.com and had to buy an australian nutcracker called the bonk on ebay as nothing i could find in the states would open them!!) and sesame seeds and tomatoes and avos..and for dinner I am having the lovely curry carrot soup from here. Modified it a bit as I only had 1/2 an avo left, but it’s still delicious.

my appetite is still not huge, but I am trying to be sure i eat every few hours regardless as otherwise i get tired. it must be the humidity that’s making me lose my appetite. that’s what i think.

next week i leave for my mom’s for a month, and I am taking my blendtec LOL. DH is so sad to be without it, but there’s no way I can live without it for a month!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

wow it was not even that hot today and when i ran i started getting nausea and chills…some kinda heat exhaustion or that think where you lose salt? i had been drinking lots of water this afternoon. i also hadn’t eaten much salt today or much at all, that might have done it. we gotta watch ourselves in the heat. i wish I had my very own elliptical. i have one at work but the gym is closed for the summer.

so i got home and had cucumber wraps. i have been having them a lot lately. they are so yummy with seed cheese and red pepper. if you have a mandolin, you gotta try it.

http://bunnyberry.blogspot.com/2008/06/day-74-o…

oh trouble bubble i am like that with pineapple too, we have a fruit bar at school and i GORGE on it!

bitt – that’s scary, I take it you got the sun back? We did and I did a little vitamin D dosing this morning. Could the problem be related to your time of the month? Sounds like it was a rough one.

Last day in Vermont, daughter’s performance is tonight, can’t wait. I’m making a batch of Cheese with Spring Onions except with basil for a party tomorrow. Not sure what to serve with it, don’t have time to make crackers or bread.

I’m going on a float trip Sunday through Tuesday. I’m going to bring all my favorite fruits, berries, and veggies to snack on while my family munches on cheese and crackers with summer sausage and cheese curls. All things I enjoyed indulging on while participating in our traditional canoeing trips.

I’m a little nervous but just trying to plan wisely. Wish me luck! I hope I won’t break under the pressure!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ooh canoeing trip. I love canoeing, sounds like fun. yes, be prepared. it is a wise motto. good luck.

i love putting the seed cheese in the cucumber wraps! (see link above) but you could also serve it with cut-up veggies for sure. I love it that way. most of the time I don’t have crackers to eat it with either.

Yeah i OD’d on the sun for sure when it came back. i am taking it easier today and going for a bike ride to the market instead of the run. i gotta learn to wake up early to beat the heat. I hate mornings though.

I’m going to a raw potluck tonight! Making cobbler and hoping there is enough dinner-type stuff to eat. My husband is nervous it will all have flax in it. He’s allergic.

how’s everyone doing? I slacked on my blog posting, gotta get back on that! but I had an 811 day yesterday and feel good! i also slept almost 9 hours. I needed it. I feel great now. Just had a half of a watermelon for breakfast and going to eat some bananas now.

I leave tomorrow for my mother’s house—she TOTALLY doesn’t get raw foods, but I am hoping it won’t influence me negatively. She doesn’t even think the boys should be vegetarian, nevermind vegan, which is where they’re headed LOL.

Home again! We’ve been non-stop since Friday – performance day which was wonderful, my daughter had a great time in her play. Went to a “Christmas party” on Saturday in Gloucester MA on a river, brought Zoe’s cheese with basil and garlic and lots of veggies to share. Gorgeous day. Yesterday was even better – it was a big fundraising day for the non-profit my husband runs http://www.oceanalliance.org/. An amazing performance about the environment by founder Roger Payne and his actress wife Lisa Harrow (there’s a blurb on the site about “Sea Change”), very inspiring and frightening. Then a sunset whale watch that started out rough (my salad blew away) but the whales came through!!!!!!!! A baby humpback put on quite a show, breaching all around the boat at sunset, amazing, even for us seasoned whale watchers. In the car on the way home while I was gorging on a carrot salad and figs, my daughter said in a sleepy stupor, “It was nice to see so many kids interested in whales.”

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Amysue, cool I love whales, such peaceful and amazing creatures. They eat such little creatures and yet are so huge.

I’ve been super busy too, potlucking, buying young coconuts, freecycling, working, tutoring. Today I looked in the fridge and there was nothing much to eat that I wanted. Thank goodness for flax pancakes. Mmm.

Nycgrrl hope you mom was nice to your kids and didn’t sneak them meat.

bitt – what’s freecycling? I finally got around to “taking an enema” last night. Husband was away, had to make sure daughter was asleep and dog was in. Went fine, hopefully did some good since Matt Monarch said it’s the missing link for raw foodists.

nycgrrl – after staying at my parents’ house I learned that open communication is a good thing after trying to bottle up some stuff for a few days (not food related). Once we hashed it out life was peaceful. Hope it goes well!

it’ll be okay, she comes back to her house from a trip on friday. i am feeling good right now—love runnin g out here on long island. so much better than the city!