Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

100% raw for 30 days...whose in with me???

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

cooked foods or fats, well i guess if you goal is ultimately to be 80/10/10 RV then you have to decide which is more addicting. It seems like a lot of people go the path of raw fats versus cooked non-fats. You have to listen to your body and not some guru. My rule of thumb is that lots of people and doctors have said raw is the way to go, only one is really into 811. So for now when my body needs fat I give it to it.

Today I ate a lot of fruit. 2 Green smoothies, banana, 1/2 watermelon, peach. Celery and tahini. I LOVE tahini. I was at my friend’s house and she said she wanted to go get a grilled cheese. So I said, go ahead, I’ll come and eat my own stuff. She declined. Sometimes some people just want some one else to eat junk with them. It’s not as justified on your own. We ended up having watermelon which was delicious.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Nycgrrl, i thought of something, buckwheat grouts. they are 80/10/10. maybe you can make a granola out of them.

• Hi ladies~ I just wanted you to know that I thoroughly enjoy your expertise, as I’ve been browsing the site for about a week and a half now. A friend turned me on to raw and I was so inspired that I ran right out and bought a juicer and a new food processor! Eeek! Anyway, I was hoping to sort of share where I am in the process of going raw because I have questions and feel I should go to the experts (for me, that’s YOU)! :D

Is there a good place (forum) to ask for help?

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey slcogliano! What a gorgeous cat, very Egyptian. You can hang out right here and we’d be happy to help guide you, confuse you, cause we’re trying to figure things out as we go too. I remember shelling out for appliances last year – for me it was the Vitamix and dehydrator, although now I would like a juicer because I make juice in the Vitamix and strain it. I’ve only just got into juicing in the last few weeks thanks to Matt Monarch. You can also go to “New to Raw” if you have specific questions and want a lot of answers from a lot of different raw foodists.

nycgrrl – glad you’re feeling better, what’s going on?? I’ve had insomnia the past two nights only because my daughter just started cheerleading and I had NO IDEA what a commitment it was, on top of her fall soccer. It’s added a very intense new dimension to our lives, whereas soccer has always been so low key!!

I am having a crudddddy day today. A perfect storm of rain, grumpiness, period, messed up plans, anxiety…think that’s about it. My husband started to tell me this morning how lucky we are compared to most people and boy did he get an earful.

I received my Green Powder from Alissa Cohen and starting taking a teaspoon in water before meals. Think there might be a bit of detox going on. Morning routine is now lemon water with green powder, then green juice, then some sort of breakfast late in the morning and lots of trips to the bathroom. This morning I tried putting my MSM in the green lemon water and BLAAAAAAH that was awful bitter.

One nice thing – old friend came to visit last night, haven’t seen him since our wedding in ‘99 and he said I looked exactly the same. He’d been hearing about me from mutual friends who had stayed with us and eaten raw during their stay and he said that’s all they talked about.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

hi slcogliano, welcome. i’m no expert but hope you can learn from my successes/failures. I hope you like your new juicer. yes, please ask for help here or post a new thread for it. we all love to help here on gone raw.

amysure, sorry that you are detoxing. yup moodiness is part of it. i totally snapped at my husband today because he was using the sink when i wanted to wash a piece of celery. i totally overreacted. i am detoxing a little from my colonic. (if you want more details visit the thread in health and beauty). so i planned to be nice to myself today, perhaps take in some sun and a long walk rather than run. the system is a little sensitive right now.

bitt – I will check out your colonic! I’m going to try to do an enema once a week just in the beginning and then once a month. Never quite sure when I’m full, don’t want to break anything in there. I had a long walk with our dog in the rain and that was just as good as the sun, very meditative.

I love tahini too, but I’m confused. Zoe gave me the impression that most are not raw because the seeds need to be heated to be hulled. So I was eating one that is unhulled and very delicious, but it never actually said it was raw and people are telling me that traditional Israeli tahini is made from toasted seeds. I emailed the company in Israel and never heard back and the store doesn’t seem to know one way or the other. Tried making my own from unhulled seeds and it was a grainy mess. I’ve been getting by with the recipe for sesame milk when I have a craving but I still miss it. Tahini dried figs and honey was my thing!

• I’m sending out positive energy to you, Bitt and amysue! Amysue, you are so funny! I hope you don’t break anything in there, too! :P And, I was going to comment on your picture… how sweet! Is that home? I don’t mean, “Is that your living room,” I mean, are those beautiful animals yours?

Ahhh! Wait a sec… I have to turn the TV off. They’re showing that commercial right now – the SPCA one with the Sarah McLachlan song. – I can’t take it! They show a shepherd mix that looks identical to the love of my life that I had to give up when my mother got sick… Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, thank you for the comment on my beautiful boy Stubby. He was a pure siamese, show quality except for his stubby tail. He’s in heaven now after heart disease got the best of him in February. :( I just love that picture though. Don’t you think we look alike?

So, I think I found a clinic in San Diego. Do you gals have any suggestions for identifying a quality clinic?

Oh, I’m so sorry about your cat. My heart broke a little bit when you said that because you look so attached. I’m glad you had each other. My dog is a very healthy 12, but I’m now in the worrying years, starting to prepare myself. We rescued her in Alaska and she was my first real pet. She found us, she was a stray who was going to be shot at the end of summer if no one took her, beautiful sled dog mutt, and she came up to me and gave me a gentle hug with her paws when I stopped to say hello. We actually have a shot of that moment because I yelled to my husband, then boyfriend, “Look, this dog is hugging me!” My future husband needed some convincing since we were on a boat at the time and lived in a chicken coop (literally), but she worked her magic after I had gone home and he called me up to say he had changed his mind, he was bringing her home – from Alaska to Massachusetts! She smuggled a secret litter of seven puppies with her.

The sheep are not mine, they are my cousin’s and they were born this year. This was a magical moment for me, not being a farm person, my cousin’s wife told me to sit down, which I did and suddenly I had this little gang of woolly pillows snuggling all around me. I didn’t know lambs snuggled! But they curled right up and went to sleep on my legs. I sat there until of course my legs went to sleep, but who wants that to end??

Thanks for the support, feeling better today, that Green Powder is FLUSHING me, but I’m excited because my new vegan Earth sneakers arrived from Zappos this morning, hope they’re not hideous because they’re meant to burn off my thighs…and realign my posture blah blah blah.

I made Cheeeezy almonds for our wedding on Martha’s Vineyard this weekend, they’re dehydrating, and I know enough now to ration them, 1/2 cup a day and no more.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ahhhhh not another thing that i thought was raw but is not! crap! sorry but I am kinda frustrated that hulled sesame seeds are not raw. I can’t deal with all this. I had to wait 3 weeks for my freaking REALLY raw cashews to come. i have made tahini from the unhulled ones and it was not bad. but not creamy, but I put it in a dressing so no big deal.

i love hearing about your lovely animals. i too have an aging dog who is 12 and starting to get sicker. it is so sad. but i enjoy each day i have with him. lamb snuggles sound wonderful.

You will love Earth Shoes! It’s all I wear most of the time. I love them. They help my back a lot. They take some getting used to at first but are not too tough to adjust to.

i am feeling better after my tiredness after the colonic yesterday. i am still taking it easy though. just ate 1/4 of a big watermelon. i love my fruit and i could eat it all day but I need my veggies and fat too. ;-) Did I tell you all I have lost 25 lbs so far on raw?

25 lbs?! Wow! No, I did not know that! I wore the Earth sneakers all day around the house just for fun and they were great – I have their sandals that look gladiator-ish, just don’t wear them that often because of the tiny little buckles. I think I should get some slips ons for around the house. I can’t say for sure about the sesame seeds so DON’T PANIC! I just can’t find anyone to clarify for me from the actual companies. Try the sesame milk with the unhulled seeds – super quick and easy. I have yet to order the raw cashews because I used to chow cashews quicker than anything.

slcogliano – sorry, I keep forgetting to help you with your question, what type of clinic?

Oh, forgot to tell you. We went to a different farm today to stock up for my trip, it’s a big farm almost like a grocery store and while I was in the check-out line with my daughter my eyes zeroed in on two young coconuts all by themselves on this odd shelf. You have no idea how hard those babies are to find around here, they’re once in a blue moon, but the lady was already checking me out so I said to my daughter, like it’s Mission Impossible “Quick, look straight down there, see those two weird shaped white things by the melons? Run and go and get them, quick!” So she runs down back to the produce, grabs the coconuts, one in each hand and runs back. The cashier looked at them blankly, not knowing what they were or how much they cost, started asking around, no one else knew and then you hear the loudspeaker echo through the entire barn, “PRICE CHECK ON THE YOUNG COCONUT AT REGISTER 4.”

Back again, husband and daughter are watching “Design Star” and I’m trying to block it out because it stresses me out. So now that I’ve read the colonic discussion I’m thinking that’s what you were asking. I’ve only done the home enema so I’m in the same spot as you, I’m considering finding one at some point.

So sorry about your Mom. I feel like our parents’ generation is the cancer generation, my Dad has had prostate and skin cancer so I’m on the lookout for breast and skin cancer. I don’t know about you my none of my grandparents had cancer and lived to ripe old ages but my parents and their friends, and my friends’ parents seem to be plagued. Anyway, I’m very sorry.

• Thanks Amysue! It’s so funny, my mom’s name was Sue and, her cancer was really kind of a blessing. I know that sounds weird but, she was ready to go and… well, it’s a long story but, it was a really an incredible, and very spiritual experience, I think for both of us.

Your story above is so hilarious! I was hoping you were going to say that since nobody knew how much the coconuts cost, they gave them to you for free! :P So, I think I found a colonic clinic here in San Diego. Good times.

I have a question y’all… what is 80-10-10 and 811?

So, are you in the UK?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

811 and 80/10/10 are the same thing. It means you are trying to get 80% of your diet through carbs, and 10% protein, 10% fat. 811 rv means the same ratios but with a raw vegan diet.

Yup colonics are worth a try. The only thing for me is that I really needed it so now I am detoxing even more. I am getting some skin rashes and some mucus expelling. But I guess it was due to come up at some point, I just sped things along.

That is a cute story about the young coconuts. I wonder if I will find any in NH when I visit.

Yes cancer has touched many of my parent’s friends and my uncle too. It is a cruel disease. I really hope my parents are free from it, they try to live really healthy lifestyles and eat lots of veggies (raw and cooked) even if they are not all vegetarian. That’s all I can hope for at this point.

Hey ladies! Back from Martha’s Vineyard. Lovely weather, now back to torrential downpours at home. Is this what Seattle is like? I know what San Diego is like – perfect. I managed to stay raw at the wedding mostly by eating in my hotel room with my handy little fridge. Lots of green powder drinks and chia pudding and CHEEZY almonds. I have firsthand proof that 100% raw does not mean your skin is invincible. I fried my chest. I’ve gotten so cocky about the sun being raw, even though I’m fair and freckled and this is the second time this year I’ve paid the price.

slcogliano – Glad to hear that there was something positive about your mother’s experience. I haven’t been through it yet but my husband has. Not cancer, though. This is a terrible transition, but have you booked a colonic? I’m very curious about it but need to build up the courage. I am not in the UK, don’t know if you meant me, we’re in Massachusetts.

bitt – maybe the cleansing is good before school starts. A fresh start! When are you going to NH? I’ll hope for the best for you and the coconuts but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you. Are you going to try to stay 100% during school?

• Good GRIEF! I sure missed you girls this weekend. I can’t tell you how many times I tried to log on and got…NOTHING!!! How frustrating! Anywho

So bitt, when are you going to be in NH?

And, amysue, good job on the trip! I know it’s so tough when you’re traveling. So, I’m coming to Boston in February for the NASP Conference (National Association of School Psychologists). Maybe we could get together for coffee!! Or.. a salad. :D

OK, I have to share. I’ve been visiting a friend all weekend – the same friend who turned me on to raw and we spent the whole weekend uncooking. Pardon the TMI but, I have been pooping 3-4 times per day! AWESOME, right? I came home expecting to have shed several pounds and, once again… NOT A SINGLE POUND!!!!!! It’s as if my freakin’ scale can only go to this ONE number! 188… That’s the only number I’ve seen in two weeks!!! Any suggestions? Bitt, did you drop any weight after the colonic? Mine is tomorrow and I’m hoping that will get things going. Please give me some words of wisdom and experience!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

slcogliano~ From my best sage wisdom, my suggestion is… DITCH YOUR SCALE! Gauge how you are progressing by how you feel and your size. The simplest way to measure your size is to get a pair of snug or “too small” jeans and try them on once a week. Simple. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

First on the weight, yes i lost a bit after the colonic, but the best thing it does is regulates you so you don’t get constipated any more. now i am more like 2-3 times a day instead of once. the other thing on the weight is that sometimes you are losing fat but not weight per say. there was a several weeks where I wouldn’t lose but something was changing for sure (probably percentage of fat). exercise also gets the metabolism going. even just brisk walks, etc. I have to say my body is in great shape, better shape than some people who even work out more than me because my overall fat on my body is lower. the diet really helps. (oh an all the words of wisdom on colonics are in the thread to protect the innocent) basically don’t worry if you are a little tired for a day or two. you will come out the better from it. oh one more thing on what helps to lose weight——green smoothies! drink a quart a day.

You are a school psychologist, slcogliano? cool, i’m a teacher. i am thinking about in the distant future maybe doing school psych.

Amysue, what green powder do you use? there are so many brands out there no idea what is best. I thought I would get some when I travel for a few days with no bullet. Chia pudding is a good idea too. I’ll pack some seeds. I burn less now that I’m raw, but that is also because I have a good base of 20 min per day in the sun.

I am going to NH on Wednesday. I am pretty excited now. I won’t hold my breath for the coconuts. But there will be plenty of fresh fruits and veggies for sure. Farm stands everywhere. Decent corn too! And PA peaches. I will be fine, I’m sure. :-)

I will try to be 100% during school. I honestly can’t afford to lose any of this energy that I have! I will have to stop making so many gourmet things and work harder over the weekend to make stuff to last the week, but I can do it. I was 100% for April to June and I barely had a clue what I was doing. When I doubt I had a green smoothie, salad, and pineapple for lunch. And then my students started bringing me apples and I would eat them in class. I decided next year I would allow fruit or maybe veggies as a snack only. I usually do not do snack time but if I am eating apples in front of them it’s hardly fair, right??

I posted some recipes on my blog today. I can’t rely on goneraw to post, and I can’t get pictures to post. So here they are. http://bittsblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/food-to-m…

• Bitt~ I knew I sensed a connection! ;P What grade do you teach? I prefer the elementary years myself. As a matter of fact, I just signed on as a distributor with Elements For Life and my web address is www.NobleLifeElements.com/elementary! I figured it incorporates the many facets of my life right now… you know, going raw is really just going back to basics… “it’s elementary my dear Watson!”

Hey, by the way, if you need some Goji berries or cacao, check out my site! :)

So, it’s so strange that everybody I come across lately seems to be going to or coming from New Hampshire! How odd.

Bluedolphin! Good to hear from you and I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Unfortunately, I’ve also been gauging my size with the fit of my pants, as you suggested, and they are still just as snug as they were two weeks ago! Damn! I was so disappointed after being 100% raw for three solid days that, tonight when I was shopping at Whole Foods, I asked a more mature, wiser rawie who worked there if she had any books on raw weight loss and I actually started to cry! Oh BROTHER! But, it is really frustrating. I will admit though that I really haven’t had the energy to exercise until this weekend. I think if I keep using the Gold and forcing myself to get outside and walk or bike, I will probably start seeing something change soon. Of course, I’m not going to feel like doing much of anything after my colonic tonight and then my colonoscopy tomorrow. :(

I’ll keep you all posted on the progress. :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey everyone. I’ve been really struggling with cravings this past week and a half. I want salty crunchy food really badly. I slipped up last night and had a few bites of macaroni and cheese and felt so guilty and horrible afterwards that it made me a little depressed. I can’t stop craving! It starts from the minute I get up and is a fight all the way til bedtime.

It may be the stress of frustration but I’ve been constipated since Friday and I broke out yesterday. My self esteem is down and my motivation is low.

HELP ME!!!!!

• Awe, Trouble! I’m SO sorry you’re feeling crummy! Do you think the cravings started as a result of the constipation? If so, I would suggest a good ol’ juice fest! But, then, I’m pretty new to raw.

Oh my goodness so much to catch up on and my brain is already filled to the brim with chaos.

Hey raw friends!

sl – I would love to see you when you’re here! Here’s my email amyc@oceanalliance.org I so hear you with the weight. It is frustrating isn’t it?? All that must weigh something! In all honesty for me it’s not weight it’s cellulite. I’m not a big person, I am 120 lbs and I know I have no right to complain, but even so, my thighs have been taken over by cellulite. And this 100% raw crusade was fueled not by the desire to live a long a healthy life but by the desire to live a cellulite-free life!!! It’s sad, I know, but it’s the truth. As soon as I read Zoe say on her website that her cellulite melted away after going 100% I was in!! Of course I’ll take all the healthy side-effects of the life style. But so far nothing’s changed. It’s all there. Not giving up, I do still feel like this is the way to go, just want some RESULTS. Oooh, it must be colonic day for you! (Now I just read your second post and it fills in so many blanks! You poor thing crying in Whole Foods. I’m so sorry it’s troubling you so much. I didn’t know you were going for a colonoscopy! I must have missed that. Oh my goodness, hope it goes ok, we’ll be here when you get back. Does that mean you don’t have to drink the horrible drink that I’m so afraid of? What’s the gold?

troubles – wow, what a crappy day we’re all having, I won’t even go in to my petty stuff! I’m so sorry. If it helps at all I’ve been there many times, it’s such a roller coaster. It really sounds like it’s all related as sl says, I think you’re about to clear something out so hang on! I think you’re clearing out the stuff that you’re craving, that’s what they say anyway. When this happens to me a just go a little crazy on whatever raw I want, no matter what time of day or how fatty, salty or sweet it is. You know it’s better than the mac n cheese any day, so go to town!

bitt – I’m using Alissa Cohen’s because I’m pretty sure it’s exactly the same as Sunfood’s Sun is Shining, but way cheaper. They were both created by the same guy. I’m now making my green juice in the vitamix, straining it with the nut milk bag, and then pouring it back in the blender with the powder, because if I just stir it in, it’s chunky. Stirs okay into water, I just don’t want to have to drink two different drinks every morning and afternoon. Have a wonderful trip if we don’t hear from you! The school plan sounds great and I love your blog!

• So, for anyone who’s wondering, here’s my update on the colonic and colonoscopy… RESCHEDULED!!! I am SO bummed! Not that I wanted it but, I go to the VA Hospital for all of my medical stuff (since I’m in school full time and have no insurance) and it takes FOREVER to get something like that scheduled!!!! I scheduled it MONTHS ago but, it’s probably my fault. First, I never did receive a confirmation call from the gal who was going to do the colonic in prep for the -oscopy. So, when I was running late to the colonic appointment today, I kept trying to call the place to let her know I was running late but there was NO ANSWER! I wondered if she had fallen off the planet. I finally arrived, 30 minutes late, and she greeted me at the door and said she wouldn’t be able to take me because I was late.

Well, I had planned the colonic to avoid the other stuff and you have to start the other stuff early the day prior, soooo, I figured it must have been too late for me to do the traditional GoLitely crap so I called to cancel my -oscopy. :( Guess I’ll have to wait another 6 months.

So, that’s that. I was so sad. But, then I decided, maybe it was an opportunity to do some other, creative stuff so I went to Target and got some poster board and watercolors because I want to make a vision board. More to share regarding that later.

So, can get your opinions on something? I mentioned earlier that I signed up to be a distributor with Elements For Life a couple of days ago. I would love to let people know about my little “business” but I don’t want to come across like I’m trying to sell people something, you know? I would just love for people to check out my site. Do you gals have any suggestions for how I can get the word out without sounding like a sales person?

• Hello dear friends RAW! i am new and saw the topic ! very interesting! i would like to make part! are all of you 100% raw? i am doing my best! but not yet! my symptoms are like what i read here so maybe one day more and the decision to 100%! who is member of RAW FU? would you mind to send to me an invitation to be a member? i will be here daily to get the good energy of you ! thanks a lot for helping me with all your posts! Marcia

• hi Tamar..i’m in rawfu..but if you haven’t been invited yet..i would need your email address to invite you. :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey! All day yesterday I just read everything I could on here just to get good RAW vibes again. I’m feeling better today and thank you amysue and slcogliano for the encouragement! It’s so great to have this thread for support.

slcogliano-I’m so sorry about your appointment! I know it’s a huge deal to even go to the doctor(at least for me) so that must be a real bummer. I think I’ll take your advice on a juice feast. I haven’t done one of those in a while and it’s due anyway. I have to say I don’t find them very pleasant what with detox and hunger. haha I’m a wimp.

• I’ll be sending positive energy and thoughts of encouragement your way… :D

Hey all, and welcome Tamar! You sound like you’re full of energy all ready.

I’m toast today – JURY DUTY. I got seated so that will be my life for the next few days. Everyone was all excited when the guard told us they would provide lunch tomorrow but of course my hand shot up to ask, “Can I please bring my own???” He said no problem, phewie. Now I just need to find child care.

sl – such a bummer about the colonoscopy, uggh. The only good news is you answered my question about whether or not you have to drink the stuff which I think would send my body into shock at this point. I had a quick peek at your site, I’ll try and look at it a little closer soon, I haven’t heard of the company before.

tr – so glad you’re feeling better!

My only other news is I’m researching 80-10-10. I really know nothing so far but I want to be educated so I ordered the book and I’m going to start studying the forums. I love fat, but I hate cellulite more so maybe it will help. Who knows. Right now I just need to de-stress from the day.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I can’t read or reply to all, I am off on a plane in a short while…this is what I am bringing:

I packed carrots, celery, three crackers, seed cheese (frozen slightly then it will stay cold), and an avocado for dinner. Some fruit. Then a huge thing of granola for my breakfast. It’s an overnighter. Let’s pray I find some fresh squeezed OJ when I arrive!

I will be away for 10 days but I will try to check in here and there. See you later.

• Here back to keep my energy on my decision to change! RAW! i am really feeling great! i will be 50 at September and wish better life quality is my way since 2002! Workaholic for so many years, smoking and only coffee seating at computer was my life! Since 2002 i made my click to the change! Now i found out the raw and changes are making me feel better and better! But still not raw 100%! From NO physical activity, at 2005 after all my dedication i ran 10 kil in Rio- Brasil and a half marathon here in Miami! So, wish to inspire someone that need to make changes! As well as i get inspired on all of you! Thanks for all replay!  To Amysue! here is about my energy! Thanks!