Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hello all! Clr I think from looking at DYW website that shazzies raw cacao powder does sound raw, she has info about how high the temp is allowed to go during pressing and grinding, so for me I would belive their stuff is properly raw. I think Chris and Zoe’s site says beans can get quite how as they dry out and DYW does not say anthing about this stage so I would know. But I use DYW raw cacao powder and love it.

Of all the raw chocolate bars I have tried I like kate woods the best I have tried the Hi-Buzz (with bee pollen so not vegan) was really good but not “typicaly chocolate” flavour, Hi-crunch which has unshelled hemp seeds in, I didn’t like that as I found I got a mouthful of grit… But my fave one is Whoosh which taste gorgeous! would thourly recomend this one!

Sorry meant to say “would not know” in first paragraph!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Keep your eyes on Lidl/Aldi they so a fruit and veg half price offer that runs for 6 weeks at a time. It is in different stores, they produce isn’t bad actually. They often have better stuff for cheaper than normal supermarkets.

Do any of you go to your local fruit and veg wholesalers market? Me and Chris go sometimes and we get loaded up on cukes for £3 for a box of 12, £4 for a box of 14 avos, £1.50 for a crate of mini plum tomatoes. You don’t have to be a fruit and veg seller to go there, anyone is welcome if you have cash in your hand. We have great fun whenever we go. There’s a flower sellers there too, you see gorgeous flowers etc.

On our website we say that cacao is not raw because of the high temperatures it gets to whilst being fermented. All cacao is fermented and reaches the high temps, even DTYW’s. Me and Chris were both getting a cooked food reaction when we ate cacao, then when we researched into it we discovered that it is all dead. You cannot get any cacao beans on the market to sprout because they are not alive. I eat it when people make chocolate things at our Potluck, and now and then I buy a “raw” chocolate bar at the health food shop, but I always have the same reaction to it, and I don’t like that much. It is worse than the benefits for me personally. But I can see how it can be a nice treat and a good alternative to rubbish like regular chocolate bars. If it makes you happy…Funky Raw’s is the cheapest I have found. Generally, for raw food, Funky Raw has the best deals I think.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Wow – a few days too busy to read and this thread explodes!! To tired to read it properly now, but hi to all and Debs60 DON’T GET A STOCKLI DEHYDRATOR!!! I have one and the heat comes up from the bottom and you need to keep swapping the trays around, Im looking to get rid of my and buy a excalibur.

Yes, I used to have a dehydrator where you had to keep changing the trays round. pain in the bum-hole, and didn’t work too well either… :-( I was so disapointed that I got rid of it… I was trying to save money cus I could not afford an excalibur, but would have been better to by no dehydrator and save a bit longer, or to have got more raw booksor something instead.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

I got a excalibur straight away and don’t regret it.. but i don’t use it for myself anymore!! (cuz my diet is all fresh produce now!) .. i only use it to make stuff for my parents! But it works really well, and its surprising how much stuff can fit in there! (i got the 9 tray!)

And thank you KSparklie! :D I feel hubled!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

The Excalibur..

How big is it? I’ve heard its massive & to get the 9 tray as you’ll always fill it..

Thing is, only got a small kitchen & work surface space is not exactly something I have reams of..

Those of you that have them, where do you keep them, should I got for 5 or 9 timer/non-timer and are they as big as they say?

I do want to get one (when I’ve got the dosh), but again have heard that other options can be a waste of money in the long run

P.S – MsD (Caroline?)

An earlier post about raw choc;

“With regards to raw chocolate, my local health food store carries some very expensive bars, and I can’t say I’ve found them that nice.”

Where have you found raw choc? Is it near us?

Thanks!

:o)

The excalibur CAN be big depending what size you get! :) I only live in a smaaalll apartment but iv got a pantry room attached to the kitchen so i store it in there! I can hear it at all then! My nin tray fits on the dishwasher, if that helps with size, and like that, its the perfect height too! :)

• Hi all, don’t worry Fee, i won’t be buying any dehydrator, I will prob just stick with my oven for now as we have no more room what with the juicer/blender/magic bullet (indispensible!!!) etc!!! plus cats and all their stuff! If we expand the kitchen then I’ll think about it. However, making Ani’s black bread in an oven doesn’t take 4 hours like she says, more like overnight,lol! AJ i will let you know if I convert my partner – it would be a major celebration, but I’m not 100% and still new to it myself. How did you get into it?

Thanks for the advice on the books, folks – its a pity there are not more of them in bookshops, so we could browse before buying. BTW any advice on career change? I’m a nurse and I read on a drug leaflet that this particular drug was tested using the LD50 (although that might be historical information). I hate animal testing and I thought nursing was going to be looking after people, not being a legalised drug pusher….:(

on a happier note, raw choc rocks for me! xx all

Debs60 You can always look on amazon for books, quite oftern you can get a secondhand one for cheeper than it would be in the shops, or a copy that has not been read yet but has slight damage. I have done this quite a few times and got books for about half price. If you really want something check once a week or so cus people add books all the time :-)

• oh hey springleaf, thnx yes i might just do that,although some of the recipes on this site are brill, but sooooo many to choose from!

Hi Debs60, I agree, last week I did a 100% raw week (not 100% successful! see earlier posts on this thread lol!) whilst my bf was away and found that a lot of the recipies I used where printed out from this site and not from one of the books I have…

• did you have a favourite? my bf just come thru door hungry so i better get him some fud ( i had a day off – lovely) will read the earlier threads nxt time i’m on i wanna know what happened! let me know where u are (geographically that is!) cya

Green popcorn with spirulina kept me going whilst I made dinner, I made stuffed toms (from alisia cohens site actually now I come to think about it!), nori roll ups are always good too. Avacados are fulling and cant beat raw puds, was not too keen on pudding before I went raw… p.s. I’m sussex based.

Wow we’re on 4 pages guys!!

SL – Well done for your 100% (nearly) week, I think I mentioned a while ago, my BF’s been away this week & isnt back till sat, but, I’ve been so rubbish :o(

I handed my notice in this week amongst other things and with one thing and another its been hectic. I’ve resorted to easy crap here and there and feel really guilty.

How does anyone cope with falling off the wagon here and there??

I know it’ll make me feel crap but then I make it a bit worse by beating myself up.. I know its a transition etc but.. Just wondering..?

Hi clr! My bf’s back home now, yay! but no more trying to be 100% because of that, boo… hope all goes well on the job front, that sort of thing scares the poo out of me! When I have eat something I know I shouldn’t (yes am not 100% raw, but if I make a bad choice where it would have been possible to make a good one) then I just tell myself not to worry, try and look at why I made that choice (usually unfortunatly it’s just cus I felt like eating that thing), and try and make sure I have good choices avalible all the time – which is easier said than done! Don’t beat yourself up, there are plenty of meanies out there who will do that for you!

• Hey all, will try green popcorn…sounds yum! I come from Sussex (Wadhurst) but live in Devon now. Not been to Sussex for a while :(

Don’t worry Clr about not being 100% raw, I think it is quite difficult unless everyone around is the same, frankly. If you got allergies/intolerances which disappear when you go raw, then it might be more important, but I think it is best not to get too stressed about it. Celebrate each day you go 100% raw. I am a smoker but I haven’t had a cigarette in over a year now, but if I was told I couldn’t have one, I’d want to go out and smoke 20. When I’m at work, i only have time to eat the damn chocolates that the patients bring in as pressies, and that is not only NOT RAW it’s positively awful!!!!!

Hope to speak to you guys soon! Debs x

• ps good luck with new job? well done for handing notice in, tell us more…

Hi debs60, I have a plan (like baldrik but hopefully better!) Could you make loads of bite size raw things, i.e. dates with a walnut in them, washed cherries or other small fruit, cherry tomatos, raw choc’s, etc, and take them to work and leave them where the other chocs are and then instead of popping a choc in your mouth when you have a sec, you could pop in a raw bitesize thing? would this work? I also know the presure of working somewhere where real breaks can be hard, although I have a desk I can leave food on when it is half eaten so that makes it easier for me.

Going off for the weekend now so take care all and lets hope for a sunny one!!!

Butting in, but – Like it!

Haver a great weekend SL!

I feel I havent contributed much to my raw uk friends this last week (for reasons explained..) but plan to say a proper hi real soon (and tell you more of course..)

• hey springleaf it might be good for my colleagues as well, i’ll try it! might take some shazzie raw chocs wit me too (but i’ll hide that an eat it all myself ;D ) np clr look frward to hearing from you, have a good weekend all! (i’m working again, boo) xx

Hey all,

Well, who’s a stupid girl then..?

I saw the weather forcast this morning and it said it wasn’t going to rain.. (surely not 3 days in a row?) anyway, I thought I’d quickly hang a sheet out that had been in the machine overnight to take advantage, and in my haste trying to get the extendable washing line pole up have strained my shoulder. I was literally on my way out the door to work anyway so grizzled a while and set off,.. was soo painful! Harry, my BF, who drops me off at the station was watching my grimacing & squeaking round every roundabout so brought me home.

Now layed up with ice and codine (and laptop).. having handed notice in last week this clearly didnt go down very well..

Ooops. Giving me time to catch up here though as I cant do much, but type & click I can :o)

Anyone been keeping up with this ‘troll’ stuff? What’s going on??

Hello UK-ians! Oh Clr I can sympathise – get well soon! I had a should op in march,was in a sling for 6 weeks after, even had to sleep in it! Lots of rest and deep heat is good. Doesn’t look good at work, but what can you do?! Because of how I work I had to have 6 weeks off! (luckily I got full pay!) As you can see our troll prob is bad at the mo’ trying mostly to ignore the git thou… I gave the BF some RV apple pie and ice cream that I got from a raw cafe on thursday, thought he would like it but I was wrong :-( Was really suprised, thought I would have found a sure fire way of getting some raw into him! oh well back to the drawing board!

Yeah, I sympathise, mine tried for a bit but its hard to even get him to try stuff now (eugh, I dont like hazelnuts..) sigh. I thought my life might have become easier if he ate a bit here and there but no such luck..

What do you do? You’re down Sussex direction aren’t you? I used to live near Crawley. Worked at Gatwick for 6 years.

Hi clr, yes down in brighton, work in a lab. the bf thing is hard, mine will eat things if he likes them, but would not be happy with me trying to give him a raw main course. he also thinks raw is a bit cult-ish and weird and worries that it will put distance between us and is basically scared because of this. I don’t want to scare him! So i am trying to go raw b’fast, lunch and snaks and eat cooked vegi/vegan for dinner. we will see how this pan’s out long term. have been messing around with raw for more than two years now, so I feel it is time to try and eat more raw on a more consistent and long term basis and try and reap some more benefits!

Hmm, some of what you said sounds familiar. I’ve had some stuff like ‘you leave me to fend for myself now..’ etc, makes me feel a bit crap.

Dont get me wrong, not all the time but I think its there.

Good on you anyway. I first found out about it/got some books etc in 2004, this is the 1st time I’ve tried it for longer. And I’m not 100%, but mostly.

Thanks for the saladacco advice by the way. I’ll give it another go before giving up the ghost!

funny isn’t it, I used to think trying to make a meal that was cooked vegi/vegan and would please a meat eater (by adding meat to his bit or just vegi but he liked it) was hard enough, now it’s impossible! I think if I can get to 60-70% (as described above) long term would be a real success, so that is my long term goal.

Well, let us know how it goes.

P.S – Guess what? I got spirals… (hangs head in shame..) I put it dead in that centre pin (which I hadnt even clocked before) as you said & hey presto.

Oh my god, am I that dumb?? If I had a brain I’d be dangerous!