Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• We should all meet up in manna cafe when we got a mo. I haven’t had The Argument yet, but he and my other half are playing computer games. I think I made out he wasn’t nice when he is, but you know what some people are like…..

Welcome Strawberry, sorry the weather is pants Zoe, you should be in Devon this weekend! its nice for once.

Have a good weekend all, if I don’t get to speak to you before then. ps, According to a fortune cookie, it will be my lucky day so I’m buying a lottery ticket

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I found our thread – thanks to emtpdmom!

Zoe – how was the potluck? Been dying to hear more about those not prawn crackers!

It must be so nice that the 2 of you have the same philosophy when it comes to food. I love it if Harry was interested.

Debs, did it spiral into the arg..? And did you win the lottery yet?!!

I think its a great idea to meet at blue manna, could I come & gatecrash? I have got friends in Crawley and Brighton, if it could be a weekend that’d be fab!

I cant remember if I said already, but with lunch I got some raw cheesecake from vitaorganic, it was so nice it inspired me over the weekend and I made some!

I made a few little ones after SL’s last suggestion and they came out pretty well.

If I can remember the recipe, as you know what its’ like – kinda make it up as you go along.. I’ll post it, I def would like to put a little pic as I decorated them and was quite proud, even got Harry eating them!.. :o)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi All!, Was a lovely sunny weekend in brighton, hope you had a good one!

Debs how did the raw disscussion go? you mentioned that you thought you might have made your frined sound bad when realy he is a nice guy – don’t worry! I know exactly what you mean as is exactly the same with my bf, love him to bits about everything else but 100% incompatable on the raw food thing :-( oh well no ones perfect.

Clr – yes I had raw cheese cake on friday too, so good isn’t it. Glad the ramikin idea worked too, sometimes I worry that my ideas are too of the wall to be good…

If anyones ever down in brighton at meet up in manna is a must…

Zoe: did you have a good potluck despite the weather?

Clr, you mention finding our thread thanks to emptpdmom, not sure what that is… but if you click “my profile” then post’s “all” then scroll down to the last comment you made on this thread you can click the name of the thread and it takes you there. Thats how I do it anyway, if anyone has a faster way I would be interested to know it:-)

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi all, some one mentioned we could let each other know of good deals on fruit and veg – well Tesco have fresh figs at 29p each or a pack of 4 for 99p. I got a pack of four and sat in the car eating one just like an apple, it was lovely.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes the potluck was brilliant. Rawbombshell from cyberspace came along, d’you guys know of her. Her mission is to bring glamour to raw food, she is so cool!

We ate curry, not prawn crackers, fudge, pesto and purple pasta, cake, pie, and tons of other lucious stuff.

Tescos is doing this “market price” thing at the moment. So they sell cucumbers at two prices, one for 65p, the other for 54p. Can’t tell the diff between them except that 10p. They’ve got other stuff on offer too.

Also have been finding it hard to find decent avocados, and had to resort to going to M&S and spending £1 per avo. Mind you they are gorgeous. Anyone know anywhere else with OK avos at the moment?

If anyone is in the North and wants an excuse to visit Red Sugar, me and Chris are up for a trip up there. They are featured in DYW’s magazine, I’ve chatted to the owners a few times, they do live algae shots, raw coffee, cakes and superfood smoothies. Let me know and we’ll arrange it. www.red-sugar.com

• FeeFee Raw Master

I was determined to get to the raw pot luck this month, so what happens I come down with a cold, no voice and no hearing in one ear!! Still sneezing like a steam engine.

I might be interested in a trip to Red Sugar. My DYW mag arrived today but Ive not read it yet (except to peak at that feature!) The cake looks heavenly in the picture.

I missed the different priced cucumbers at tesco. I saw the cheaper priced spinach but when I looked closely it didnt look very nice, it was already starting to go slimy.

• Hey all, sorry not to have been on before…no, not because I won the lottery (which I didn’t, boohoo) but The Argument couple stayed a day longer than I expected and then I had impromptu visit from my daughter, who is still here but asleep atm, so it’s been a bit busy! I didn’t have The Argument at all, but then I lapsed into cooked food mode (not all the time though :) but he did say ‘look at all the weight you’ve lost’ – so that was good. I have a long way to go though.,..:( Esp now I have blown up like a balloon from cooked stuff.

No, need to gatecrash Clr, we can all meet up there, springleaf can show us the way! – it sounds cool. Prob won’t make it up that way until the new year though but its a thought.

If you have got your mag from dyw Fee, where the hell is mine? I have remortgaged the house in order to buy her chocs….!!!!

Hi all, Zoe: I saw bags of baby avo’s in asda the other day, they looked good, but I didn’t get any as would have been to much for just me, but felt ripe unlike the little rocks that are so common at the moment!

Debs: Glad to hear you had a good weekend with you friends and well done that they noticed your weight loss, compliments are always welcome!

Fee: Get well soon! :-)

• Hi Springleaf, can’t stay on long cos Steph is up now and cat wants my lap! Hope you ok? Was just going to update that I went to Giraffe but no raw salad, so I think I was muddling it up with The Hundred Monkeys in Glastonbury which def did a total vegan raw salad. Sorry about that misinformation but I think Giraffe would do a total raw salad if asked though, they look quirky enough!

Totally agree about the boyfriend thing, we had an argument and he said I was talking ‘rubbish’ and that a good nutritionist would get as good a result from a cooked diet as someone who was eating raw. He had no proof whatsoever!!! he just thinks he knows it all and it made me quite cross X( anyway, i still love him, except when he’s drunk beer and eaten beef mince chilli and then I wonder how long it will take for the smell to fade. ooh cat typing comng upqawwwwwwwwwwwwww2QA LOL

• GET WELL SOON FEE

Oh Debs! Sorry to hear you had an argument with your bf! I try an avoid all mention of raw now with mine as it always causes problems, if it comes up I just stay as quiet and non-confrontational as poss’ and don’t argue back, cus I know from experience that even when I know I’m right I always lose :- ( It saddens me that we can’t share at least a little raw together (he will eat pud’s and a few snaks, but always then tells me how insuperiour they are to the real thing :- ( I am hoping that long term health benifits will start to convince him other wise, but as I am already at a good weight and have good skin, hair and catch few colds I am not sure he will be able to see the difference’s that I am hoping to feel. I hate feeling like raw comes between us but I am not willing to give up either! Hope you feel better soon! Cat typing is cute! To cheer you up, my stepdaughter (age 18 months) sucked an extension lead thing for a USB port, the computer flashed up “new device not recognised” !!! te he.

• I do lots of raw food and am in Surrey. I think there are lots of hidden people out there!

Hi Kerstin! Wecome to the UK thread! We are close, I live in brighton, I agree there are lots of us hidden out there, we need to spread the word about raw and get it more main stream, but – see earlier post, that can meet with resistance!

• Hi Kerstin,

I live in Surrey too. I moved to Epsom recently.

Have a lovely afternoon guys.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hey Strawberry Girl, my Nan lives in Chessington which isnt far from Epsom.

Thanks for the get well wishes Debs and Springleaf – feeling much better now, although I kept my last class late at school to day as my ear is so blocked I never heard the bell go!

Springleaf I love the story about your step daughter, thats so funny.

Sorry you guys have both had boyfriend arguments, I hope things have settled down a bit now and you are able to relax and enjoy what you want. Im lucky – although my bf doesnt like much raw stuff (he doesnt like many fruit or veg which doesnt help) he is very supportive of my wanting to be raw which is helpful. He has promised to try Ani Phyo’s mango cobbler if I make it at the weekend. I treated myself to her book last week and Im very impressed. A lot of the recipes do involve nuts, but the ones I have tried so far have been lovely. I think my favourite is raw oatmeal – heaven.

Sorry this has become a ramble. Good night all, tomorrow is another day.

Hey all! Welcome Kerstin!

Sorry, I have been MIA lately..

Have been to Bristol for work this week, so no laptop in the eves and too busy during the day (what? Actually having to work? How rude!) :o)

Guess what? A work colleague who sits opposite me has just got back from hols and sent me an email yest (whilst I was still in Briz) telling me all about how she has read Shazzie’s DYW whilst away and has come back all inspired, is now on her way to being 50% raw and can I recommend some organic skincare as she’s kicking her Clinique habit!! Wow! I was so impressed!

She’s always been interested and asks lots of questions, tries my lunch here and there and has told me about IBS type problems etc, so I have mentioned how beneficial some ajustments could be. I did bring in my copy of DYW for her to look at some time ago (my original inspiration) but didnt think she’d then go out and buy her own and go for it! Was very proud – if thats the right word!

BTW – love the alarm cat typing and the USB story – lots of chuckles!

SL – sounding more & more familiar with you bf stories. Harry’s actually getting a bit jel of gone raw now too. If I come in & log on, he’s like ‘oh, you’re going to chat to them now and not me..’

Err, not easy. I know he’s trying to make a little joke & its tongue in cheek but must come from somewhere..?? He said to me the other day, ‘I dont disagree with what you do & would never stop you, but it’ll never be for me..’ which saddens me in the same way you describe SL,..

Should I have DYW mag too? I ordered some stuff last month…? One of the things I got was an ‘inner talk’ CD, mainly for Harry as he had to do a best man speech but thought I might as well have a go too – Anyone heard of them?

Get well soon Fee!

Zoe, the potluck sounded amazingly yummy! Where are you again? I’ve got a feeling it might be a trek away but may have to make it a mission to come along sometime! Would love it I’m sure!

Have yet to check out the red sugar link.. And google rawbombshell..

Just had a din of sea spaghetti, shredded carrot and the ‘peanut’ thai dressing taken from one of the recipes here (if you havent tried the ‘Thai Salad’ yet, the dressing is gorge) mixed up with some extra sesame seeds and sesame oil, mmmm.

Splashed out on some concious chocolate too so am off to get a bit of the love potion No9, its flavoured with rose like turkish delight .. Yum!

• FeeFee Raw Master

Debs60 – what is your surname? I think they must send the DYW mags out in order of surnames – Zoe is Desmond and I am Pook so I guess if you some after P you will be getting yours soon. Already entered the competition to win nut butter! Hope it arrives soon, already looking forward to their big one in December.

Your dinner sounds lovely CLaire, Im really enjoing sea spaghetti. I hope you enjoyed your chocolate, I had a Raw Magic bar which arrived on Saturday and I managed to make it last until today with a small bit each day.

• Hey all! Greetings new friends! Well done Clr for winning somebody over to raw, makes up for the lack of interest in our collective others (I have forgiven him, when I get my act together, I will show him the error of his ways!) My surname begins with an L so I should have got my mag from DYW by now :( Oh well, I will just order something and hope it comes with that – yep I wanted all those nut butters, they look yum. I was thinking of ordering some inner talks too, but cash is a bit sparse atm. Hope your ear is unblocked now Fee, but then it drowns out some of those pesky kids, lol! Love the USB key story SL! Won’t try it with the cat tho.. I know we have had the conversation about the best chocolate, but which is it (conscious? or shazzie?) Hey, I made my own at the weekend, it was a bit strong but The Argument said it was ‘quite good’ and so did my daughter, so I was well pleased, only the cacao butter hardens too quick and it gelled into a big chocolate mess. I almost had to hack into it with a saw. Oh, and Clr, I get the same jibes about the forums as well. I just tell him at least it is not Match.com…

Hello everybody! Don’t worry about the bf thing, I know I moan about it cus it troubles me, but I have got good at keeping raw very low key so it doesn’t cause any (many) problems. I don’t log onto gone raw at home as is easier that way (note time of day of most of posts) and I do my raw eating at breakfast, which he doesn’t see, lunch, same and snaks at work, same. Then if I have a cooked meal for dinner I have still had a good day of quite a lot of raw and no worrying from him.

Clr: Well done for showing your colleague the way! That is so cool, am very impressed!

Debs: Your argument has turned into my argument, me and Mr Mickmaster are having quite a little discussion going on the enzymes thread, all in good humour though, I shall be adding some more at some point… ;-)

Have googled “rawbombshell” and came back empty handed! :-(

Your all making me jealous about the DYW mag, have not ordered from there for ages so I know I’m not getting one :-( is it good. On the other hand I do have a jsr of pumpkin seed nut butter in the fridge at home, its gorgeous, I like to add it to my salads…

Got some sad news.

Sammy – the gorgeous smiley pussycat in my avatar pic was my cat who ended up staying with my ex when we spilt up. Sammy adored him anyway and my job and therefore lifestyle was less suitable for looking after him than his. So he stayed with him.

The pic is from when he last came and stayed with me (when he was on holiday)

Found out this morn that he’s died.. :o(

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

So sorry to hear that cir-1976 Sending Lots of Love and positive energy your way xxx

We are here

Our next Potluck is the third Saturday in October. You would be most welcome ;))

Thanks Zoe,

I’ll def look into trying to make a potluck – would be great to meet some more raw foodies, and of course get to try some of the amazing food you describe!

Do you have any guidelines on what to bring, ie do you prefer it to be pure raw or is ok as long as raw (I meaning to avoiding agave, cacao, nuts etc..)?

• FeeFee Raw Master

Claire, really sorry to hear about the death of your feline friend. Take care of yourself.

Fiona

• Oh blub Clr, that is so sad :( For me, the cats are part of the family and I am devastated when anything happens to them. I had to have Indie (my tortoiseshell) put down back in June and I wept and sobbed so much the vet didn’t know where to put himself. I hope he didn’t suffer and I am thinking of you. Alarm cat and Phoebs send their rubs and purrs to you as well.

Sorry Springleaf you have done awesome job on the enzyme front, my information is so out of date! I’ve just been on a 14 hr shift so I will read it all carefully tomorrow. Hope you all have a cool weekend. Hope someday to come to a potluck Zoe, might have to do a trip to see my daughter and come on from there! Take care all.

Oh Clr, so sorry to hear about your puddy cat, they are special friends and its heartbreaking to lose one, big virtual hug! :-(

Debs: I have not yet added to the enzyme thread as soooo busy at work, no time to write, but will add more soon. I have found out what the cat food my friend gives her cat that is so pure. The wet food is “Natures Menu” and the biscuit things are by a company called “Burns”. I have watched her cat go from quite unfriendly and tense to more and more relaxed each time she finds out a better and more pure brand of cat food to put him on. A warning tho, they get used to the taste of the sugar in regular cat food and he initially turned his nose up at the purer foods as he was a little sugar junkie, but she persisted and he is fine with it now. She buys it from a local independant shop so I can’t help with which stores may sell it, although “pets corner” in the wyvale garden centers stock the natures menu foods I think… :-)

• Hey thanks Springleaf, I think it would do them so much good, both of them have smelly breath and they are hooked on this gourmet stuff at the moment. It has turned cold, so they aren’t quite as fussy as they have been, so now is a good time to try. Do you know where I can get it, or can it be bought online, I will google it, but would prefer to get it from a shop in case it doesn’t get delivered in time, etc.

Don’t worry about the enzyme argument, you know your stuff! I am prepared to believe that some enzymes might make it through the stomach in the same way as H pylori, because that was beyond belief when they discovered it. Probably not enough research has been done on raw enzymes really and here in the uk, there will be very little funding for it. One interesting article I was reading in the Scientific American (it was my bfs) was a morbid piece on what happens after we die. Apparently, the build up of acidity causes the enzymes to autolyse our cells. A bit gruesome, but along the lines of what I heard regarding plant foods having enzymes within to cause themselves to rot if not eaten. Only I can’t find where I read that!!!! I was wondering about reading Dr Howell’s book but with an open mind, but I think it was the one my friend rubbished, but there again, he won’t have read it. I’m on nights after this, so I need to stay up tonight with caffeine and exercise so I can sleep 2mrw and make through the next two shifts lol.

Clr hope you feeling better :)

• Oh have just updated enzyme argument thing because of what I read in David Wolfe’s (?) book about dogs and cooked food, which I thought was interesting as it paralleled what I remember learning about either alcohol dehydrogenase or gamma glutamyl transferase (one of the two) metabolising alcohol. It is not produced unless you drink alcohol, which is probably what they are inferring about cooked foods ie, we don’t produce those enzymes unless we eat cooked foods.

I have been a bbbbad girl and not eaten very well at all recently, but got some wicked looking kale from Dart’s farm to make a smoothie for tomorrow. It’s just getting to the shops I am finding a complete bore, and the Tescos stuff is held in deep cold storage so by the time it gets to my house, it rots the next day!

enough moaning – i’m off to bed shortly – nn from me an Pops x

Debs, sorry can’t be of more help with locations for the puddy cat fud. Like I said, she got it from an independent vilage shop, not a chain :-( But google usually turns up the goods!

As for the book you mentioned, try reading my latest Raw enzyme argument post first, then try

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-...

and also

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-...

I know you know your science too, I would buy something else instead! (preferably more up to date).

Shopping can be a bore when you havn’t got the time, try keeping it simple and keep smiling ;-)

• yep, will do. my science is out of date (my biochemistry book was by Stryer!) but will have a look at the beyondveg website. got to go to bed again now :( will be back tho! cheers!