Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I had stryer for my degree, still valid tho, and there are frequent new editions to textbooks where they remove any out of date info and add new discoverys. Have a good sleep!

• Cheers, I am off for another sleep after a gruelling night, they are all barking! I made some raw food, had no time to get it out of the fridge and ended up with heartburn after 3 digestive biscuits. Naughty!!!! speak soon

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hey all,

Thanks for your lovley well wishes, much appreciated. I really dso think its lovlet how supportive this place is when we havent even met each other, its amazing!

Woo last day tmrw and am off to see my Grandmother in the Friesan islands (where the cows come from :o) ) for the next week so will off for a little chill out..

Am going with my Mum and staying at one of my Aunts, it should be pretty cool, my Mums already getting exited about trying raw food in the week and has even asked me to take recipe books! My aunt is a weaver and is totally open to things like this so am anticipating a good week!

Just went to china town and got some coconuts for today & tmrw as it’ll be my last chance whilst I still work where I do, managed to crack one open and had it for lunch! Everyone was was most intregued and wanted to try some, which is great as I’m still spreading the word.. (I’ll probably be known as ‘That girl who used to eat weird stuff’ though ha ha!)

Made some raw choc last week and was really pleased by the outcome, I was inspired by the concious chocolate I bought so made some mint with essential oil, I’m sure there’s loads on here but might post the recipe sometime – have you experimented with raw choc and what have been your findings? I’m always keen to get ideas and perfect a recipe..

Wow, you guys know so much about enzymes etc its quite awe inspiring. I am very interested in all of that but have very limited knowledge, when I get a bit of time I’ll read through the enzyme thread..

Tangental but, I havent heard anything form MsDerious for ages, had anyone seen (on here I mean) her about..?

Hi Clr! Have just had to google where the friesan islands are! (and I have a “B” at A level geography!).

Sounds like you are going to have a really good holiday and some family time, enjoy it!

As for the enzyme thing, it’s my job, thats why I know about it, also why I’m not going to listen to bs about it either… The raw food movement is far to important to let bad, out of date information be circulated which puts off people who can recognise it as such from wanting to try raw foods cus they think we are all a bunch of nutters with no grip on science! phew sorry bit of a rant!

I am the same at work, I frequently get told to “eat some real/normal food” what can you do? don’t really mind tho, they’re quite sweet about it.

I havn’t made any raw choc at home yet, I have raw choc powder but I just add it to smoothies, or agave, like the choc sauce in naked chocolate. I can buy raw choc so easily in brighton that it isn’t worth the hassle really, although mint choc is a fave of mine ;-)

Haven’t seen any posts from MsDerious for ages either – MsDerious please come back!

• Hello all. Ooh Springleaf, just because it’s out of date, does it mean it is not valid? I expect some of it is but you never know, it might still have some origin in truth? Maybe? Don’t answer that one Springleaf, you will quote something amazing that I can’t get my head round cos I’ve only just woken up from night shifting! Which, by the way was awful and I didn’t get to eat anything and only had two raw smoothies yesterday, so most of the night my body was trying to detox but I had to drink coffee to keep me going and now I feel completely ill. And guess what, I put on two pounds!!!! how can that be????

I agree though, raw foods speak for themselves in that the feeling you get after having it far outweighs all the 'talk'. I think it is because my bf and this guy are so adamant it has to be based in science, and I feel I need to justify it with science back. When my bf said I was talking rubbish, I felt so angry but I had no comeback really. Then later he says it is good for me and he wants to try some but he's just having a bacon sandwich first, so it defeats the object. Never mind. I am hoping I will get there but I worry, esp with winter coming up, that I will just end up falling in with with the cooked diet again. I'm finding it hard enough to keep to with work, etc and my dependence on caffeine probably makes me hungrier in the long run (for junk stuff). Oh well, that's why I keep on the forum, you all give me inspiration.

Have a wonderful time in Friesia Clr (where the hell is that????) sounds fab tho. A raw foodie retreat perhaps? Yes, where is MsDerious? she started the thread….

Hi to all uk-ians. Don’t worry deb’s: your copy of stryer is still valid, it is just that the new one will have extra info. By “out of date info” I meant more like the sections where they tell you about running sequencing gels etc whereas nowdays that sort of thing is shipped out to a company. And they have new sections with material not covered in earlier edditions. You can look at stryer online here too

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=s…

to see what is in the latest eddition.

Sounds like your having a tough time at work at the moment… I hate it when I don’t get to eat the foods I want to eat and then end up feeling ill because of it, ugh. Prehaps bananas for work? Night shifts are hard my bf used to do them and says he hated it. Could you change to day shifts? or are you on some sort of big rota?

• Hi all hello springleaf, good to know my stryer is still valid lol, it took up enough space! I threw out all my molecular biol stuff cos that would be too out of date now, but still interesting at the time. don’t have time to read them tho :( Thanks for the link!

Can’t get out of night shifts really, and in fact they are better than days as there are no medics around, no visitors and usually the patients are asleep hee hee but they weren’t the last time around and I felt soooo weak by morning. However, I went to a lovely raw food workshop yesterday and met some interesting people (www.thegreenchef.co.uk) and had smoothies with stuff in that i would never have tried for myself. So I feel inspired at the moment! The woman who ran it, Violetta Cope, is off to the Tree of Life centre run by Gabriel Cousens for a couple of months, it sounds fab.

Am going to try to start getting fit soon, will keep you informed of how i get on…should be a laugh.

Ah, had heard about the benifits of no visitors etc from a friend who used to be a nurse, yes can see how that would be better ;-) At my health care practice I would far rather be seen by a nurse than my doctor, as they listern more, take bp better and don’t misdiagnose me! (my doctor has so far misdiagnosed me three time in ten years, and I don’t go that oftern!).

Its great that you’ve got yourself all re-inspired! And good luck with the getting fit! Do you know what your going to do? running, yoga, gym? I did yoga for the first time in two years yesterday, I had to stop because of a shoulder injury caused by a git of an ex bf. But its had an op’ and been fixed and now I just have to get it strong and flexible again.

• OMG that is so awful, what a sod! I left my ex husband cos he hurt the children not me, which I couldn’t take, i’d rather it had been me, but then, i would rather we hadn’t gotten into that mess anyway. glad you not in that relationship any more! have you tried acupuncture? i can totally back it up as a therapy for orthopaedic work and lots say its good for all the other stuff. i love yoga, but i am slowly stiffening up, which probably means i have to lose the caffeine, wine and all the other vices i love :(

I was going to try going for a run, i have invested in a malibu pilates chair lol, cos im a complete sucker for the infomercials on teh tv, only this one is quite good, and there are dvds from stott pilates that might actually go with it, but i will have to start slowly …..snail pace (snigger)

love all the people who come to our ward, but its difficult to get on with the job, that the problem!

Your ex sounds worse than mine! what a complete git, some people are so awful I can’t get my head round it! I think back to what I went through and can’t work out why I left sooner, my friend says I am too tolerant, she may be right.

The shoulder tho is much better, it just needs to get strong and supple again, just needs to be used really. Good luck with the pilates, I have never tried it myself as started to do ashtanga yoga before I had heard about pilates and just stuck with what I was doing. Looks good though, – and there is nothing wrong with snails pace! snails get to where they are going just like the rest of us! much better to start slowly and not get an injury.

On a positive raw food note, I started making the cashew nut and dill sauce for zuchinni noodles that was posted on here recently, to take for our lunches today, bf came into kitchen and started to join in food prep, tasting and helping, seemed to like it at the times, will just have to see if he likes it when he gets to lunch time today, will let you know.

Oooh!!! He ate it! (I know he helped make it but was worried that he wouldn’t like eating a whole lot of it especially on the z’ noodles) Phew, That is 2 raw dishes he has tried and liked in a week!!! Yee hee!!

• Ooh well done on the slow conversion of our significant others to raw! My bf said the other day that he would have raw stuff when he got home – should have jumped at the opportunity but I had already cooked up vege mince. I’ve been feeling crap too and had to come home from work yesterday feeling sick….yeuch! It is probably hormonal but I can’t stay at work and barf up over the patients when they ask for a commode lol! So I not been eating raw cos I haven’t been to the shops :( it is more of an effort here in Exmouth. I tried dill in one of the smoothies I had at the workshop – not sure whether I like it or not cos it reminds me of eating fish, but it seemed to work in the smoothie and I felt really good. I can’t understand why I’m getting these slumps of not being able to cope with raw, maybe its because I’m detoxing too much and I can’t handle it. I did take a peak at the 30 days of raw dvd and I saw that those people kept having bad episodes, like emotional detox. Perhaps that’s it. I don’t know.

I agree with you on the relationship thing, I think we get ‘stuck’ like those poor circus elephants that are punished when they move out of line and then they think they cannot move from that position. Crazy but probably true. Am off to Portsmouth for the weekend (my aunt is 97!!) a family get-together. I hope the hotel does salad! Have a good on

• Was going to say have a good one but Pops invaded the keyboard, naughty girl! Have a great weekend, Springleaf and all other UKians! ps thanks for the tip on coop wines, will go there instead of silly Tescos….:)

Yes I think it is for some of us an uphill battle (which I want to win still) to go more raw, on my 100% raw week I felt ill by about day 4, but was definatly cus my tummy was feeling upset by eating all raw when it wasn’t used to it, wasn’t detox symptoms just bloating etc. ate some healthy cooked vegan and was fine again in a day. I def’ think slow and steady increases to the amount of raw is a good way to go. Less of a shock all round – insides, planning, partner etc… My latest book purchase, a copy of “The China Study” arrived yesterday, can’t wait to get a good hour or two to myself to read it. The dill thing makes me laugh, said on my sainsburys packet “perfect with salmon” I have been vege for so long that I have not actually eaten alot of meat/fish meals in my life and can’t ever remember having it with salmon (I went vege at 11, now 31) so luckily no taste association for me :-) Cool about the 97 year old aunt! enjoy your weekend!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Debs, sorry to butt in, but what else was in that dill smoothie, it sounds really mad!

Hi Zoe! Don’t consider it a butt in! everyone is welcome! I was also wondering the same thing funnily enough. I think Deb’s may have left for the weekend, but I know the workshop was with www.thegreenchef.co.uk Violetta Cope, so could try their website?

• Hi sorry not been here, have eaten evil cooked fud all week cos my hormones all rubbish at the mo. What is the China Study all about??? The workshop was about tasting raw for noobs really and the dill worked I think but normally I hate things like mint and basil and stuff, so for me to find it ok is amazing! I am hoping to do a one day detox tomorrow before going back to work on Fri and then Sat night :(

By the way, I have been following The Spa of Embarrassing Illnesses and I am amazed at how the detox has helped with things like psoriasis, etc. I think I could do with a week away just having a raw food detox and no distractions.

97 year old aunt sank a large glass of bubbly, so she was well happy (she’s a nun so she doesn’t get to drink a whole lot). Don’t know how she kept awake all afternoon, I was struggling! Anyway, hope you all well, might need some raw support if I don’t start getting back into it again soon. will let you know….:(

• FeeFee Raw Master

The china study is about loads of studys done on people and their eating habits and what sort of illnesses they had and the age they died at etc. Its really intersting reading although it took a while to get through.

Good luck on your one day detox.

Fee

• Oh cheers Fee might get it from Amazon! will let you know about tomorrow, I have got a litepod from DYW and def feel more energy from it.

Hi Deb’s Fee and other Ukians! Deb’s: Def get the china study! I am about 70 pages in now, and can tell you it is written by a proper scientist, all statements he makes are backed up by references to scientific papers. As your a nurse your prob quite used to the style of writing and data presentation so don’t worry to much about it being tough to read – compared to my work reading it is “light reading” i.e. I am only having to read each paragraph once! lol!

Good luck with the detox,(it’s today isn’t it?) it’s horrible when you feel all clogged up and not fresh and healthy. Just treat yourself to all your fave raw foods (mine is exotic fruits like pineaple and mango) and go for it! Think how vurtuos (sp?!) you’ll feel!

Clr – Has anyone heard from her? Is she back from her holiday?

Going to try and go for a walk after work today and enjoy some of the lovely warm indian summer – whilst it lasts ;-)

• Hey all! Managed to do half a day raw, with a massive kale and veg juice and this evening I have had Ani’s garden scramble – yum! I have a mango, but I think I will keep it for Saturday as I’m full up now! Did go down to the beach and do some deep breathing and dug my toes in the sand….it was heaven. I should do it more often. Gotta have an early night as back to work tomorrow blub! Hope you had a good walk springleaf!

Will def get China Study sounds really interesting..

Hellooooo Ladies!

Back from hol & survived 1st week in new job, even got to work from home on Fri A-maz-ing!

Have been pretty rubbish though, managed to get back into smoothies and raw lunches but not been organised enough for raw dinner lately.

Am paying for it – got hellish itchy sore red eczema around my eyes coz I’ve had a bit of milk here & there – is driving me crazy! Gonna soak some nuts tonight.

Sorry, I havent properly read up on the forums here yet – how is everyone?

P.S Been offered a bengal cat that needs a home, sooooo want to go and meet it but BF’s worried we’re not around enough – What are your thoughts on pets and working..?

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi all,

That sounds great Debs being able to go down to the beach – I lived in Herne Bay for a year at uni and I loved the fact I could just walk down to the sea. There is something so relaxing about watching the sea. Are you still getting on well with yor lite pod? DOes it really make you feel better and more energetic?

Glad to see you are back from your holiday Claire and that your first week of the new job went well. I dont know much about cats and pets, but I think cats are more of a ‘do their own thing’ animal and wouldnt mind if you were in or not – as long as it is house trained!

I finally made it to the pot luck and Zoe’s and it was great! It was lovely to meet more raw people. I even met some one who lives on the other side of Accrington to me and we went nearly 40 miles away to meet! Sadly it was the last pot luck Chris and Zoe were hosting before they (hopefully) move to America. Luckily there is another one which meets in Manchester once a month and someone else has offered to host the one Chris and Zoe started.

Ive also decided to do the Alissa Cohen Level 1 Chef Certificate as a way of contining my education as well as hopefully helping me keep raw. Ive had 2 good day (except a tsp of homemade apple crumble) and maple syrup – which I know isnt raw but it was in the recipe for Chocolate Macaroons from Real Food Raw World (Or Real World Raw Food I cant remember). They are in the dehydrator as I type.

Oh and I put some of Zoe’s spring onion cheese on a piece of my partners bread and gave it to him as part of his lunch and he actually ate it and said it was ok!!!

Sorry to have rambled.

I watched Food Matters DVD this week too which is really interesting and Im hoping that will also help me keep raw too.

Hey Fee,

Well done for making the potluck – fab! Remember to let us know if you do any family visits too .. :o)

Those courses sound great, I’d love to do something like that too. Anyone heard of Karen Knowlers Raw Food Coach course?

P.P.S Freisan Islands run from Holland up to Denmarky area – The one Mum comes from is called Sylt and is a German island but the border goes up and over or it’d chop it in half, have a ganders, its lovely…

Sylt Vid

Sylt link

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey Fee,

It was Great to have you at the Potluck and nice to see you again.

Lovebows, Chris

• Oh wow, everybody back on again! Amazing how quickly your body reacted to dairy Clr, but I know it is difficult when in a different environment. The Friesian Islands sound cool tho! Love the sound of a Bengal cat. Sometimes they are quite happy on their own (cats, that is) but others need company. Might be worth finding out its likes and dislikes – they are soo beautiful.

The beach here is fab. If any of you are this way, let me know on the forums and we can put you up. BF not raw but made his own coleslaw this evening in a response to my raw scramble, and we were watching a pre-recorded Spa of Embarrassing Illnesses where they had a raw chef in (a deliberate ploy on my part and I think the message went through!) If you were in Herne Bay, Fee, which uni was that? I know you are teacher, i did teaching in Portsmouth and it nearly killed me! you are very brave. The chef’s course sounds brilliant. I have to say, when watching the Spa of Emb Illnesses, I thought – that’s the sort of work environment I want. Maybe its start of new beginnings for you Fee?

Litepod was on full first day I had it and I had loads of energy up until I turned it off and then I promptly fell asleep on the sofa in front of the TV! I have felt more stable since. When I am on an early shift, it has been brilliant in waking me up properly. It has definitely helped my mood… after my mum died 2 yrs ago, I discussed with my GP how I was affected by depression but I realised that hormones and seasons really did kick me when I was down. He then recommended I should get one, but I couldn’t afford it until now. During October, you get a kg of cacoa nibs free with DYW. Zoe and Chris off to America Oh sad, but have a great time! x

On the mood front, I think that is something else I notice about raw, as it gives me a lift somehow but I can't explain it. The only problem is that work is so demanding and I need quite a lot of energy input (food) to keep me going and it has to be quite high calorie stuff or I get dizzy. I'm working on it tho. Off to raw-food-following Chiropractor tomorrow, will let you know how I get on..... :)

Hi everyone! Had a lovely raw weekend, firstly went to town and bought myself a bar of concious chocolate, mint, I have never had it before, it was incedible! yum, will have to be getting more of that soon! Secondly whilst waiting for a friend at borders I thought to myself “I’ll just see what raw books they have” and sure enough, ten minutes later I was holding a copy of RAWvolution, looks really good, love the fact it’s in full colour. Third really cool thing, had dinner with bf and his sister and her partner, sister is a lapsed vegi and not only did I convert her back to full vegi, but also got her really exited about all the RV stuff and she wants to try some RV recipies!

Claire, I agree with what someone else said about the cat, if he/she can be happy by themselves in the house then by all means get a furry friend! Glad your new job is going well too!

Deb, yes I have to have an emergency banana handly for low sugar moments, a wise person does not get between me and food when I am hungry!

Fee, How cool you can go to potlucks! my bf would think that a step too raw! nice to meet someone in your home town too, could you do mini pot lucks? like you make dinner I’ll make pudding type of thing? Am thinking of suggesting that to bf’s sister…

• yay thanks for the commendation on conscious choc springleaf, I have been wondering what to try next – ran out of money buying the dyw stuff tho I think it is really nice. Think I might try getting RawVolution as well, as i need some inspiration. Not that my loyalty to Ani has faded at all. lol! well done for converting somebody, that’s awesome.

Hoping to do all raw day tomorrow, I am looking forward to it! a walk on the beach to top it off, if the weather holds up. Had lovely aromatherapy massage today, loooovely yum.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi all,

Debs I went to UKC (University of Kent at Canterbury) which has a fantastic view of the Catherdral at nighttime. What sort of school did you teach in? Im sure that makes all the difference – Im lucky enough to work in a Private school so the kids are pretty good on the whole. Im looking at getting one of the lights which wake you up gently rather than as an alarm. My Bf even though it might be ok. We are doing a good job of breaking them in gently. He has agreed to watch the Breakthrough DVD with me when it arrives and to eat raw pudding from Raw Food Real World.

I love Ani Phyos book too – I treated myself last month when I got a pay rise and WOW! Have you made the mango cobbler yet? And the bread is great too.

Well done on all your converting Springleaf (thats such a nice name for this time of year – reminding us of better weather to come , although Ive seen loads of beautiful rainbows lately).I have only had the fruit version of consciuos chocolate but it was lovely. Im hoping to get to more potlucks, my Bf just jokes that he gets time away from me so its all good! I like the idea of the mini potluck. I might suggest that. I really should have got her email adress.

Im on my second week of half term and last week was really raw (the only ‘real’ cooked things were a tin of baked beans and an onion and spinach bajhi and fridge cake from Unicorn grocery in Manchester) then it was my Bf’s birthday so we went to Frankie and Bennys where I had onion rings and a risotto. Woke up with stomach ache! Managed raw for lunch and breakfast but ended up having my emergnceny heat free pizza for tea. Oh well back to raw this morning with a banana, cacao smothie.

Well I seem to have rambled on a bit here – as you might guess I have a tendency to verbal diarrhoea! Have a good day all.

Fee

• Oh sounds lovely, I know Canterbury we have friends there.yes, the right school makes the difference (I taught in Portsmouth with a gcse pass rate of 6% A – C and we were in special measures but this wonderful (I’m being sarcastic here) headteacher who did not support any of us one bit has ‘turned the school around’ by offering NVQs that are worth the equivalent of 4 GCSEs for some odd reason, so that the pass rate has magically risen!!!!! anyway, enough of that rant! I gave it up as a lost cause, which is sad, because I liked a lot of the pupils but nvm.

love ani’s bread, only it takes overnight to dry out in my oven at low heat, well worth the wait tho. Will try cobbler, it sounds yummy. I feel rubbish when I’ve been raw and then eat normal, but sometimes too much raw stirs up stuff and I have to go back to cooked – so its a bit of 50/50 really. I am trying to be vegan though, an even that lapses at momentary crises. I’ll get there tho. What is the breakthrough DVD? I was hoping to watch Food Matters cos I’ve seen Philip Day live before, can’t agree with everything he says but he is a very interesting guy. anyway, good luck with the raw Fee, I’ll try the same tomorrow after my night shift…speak soon!