Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

12345679»

Comments

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi Guys!

Mmm Newcastle is maybe a little far from here to come for a potluck. I think it would be great to be in the South somewhere close to Brighton as that seems to be a really big raw movement area BUT I like it up here and find the people nicer (although my family is all in the south!). You sound to have had a great time dehydrating and they sound like yummy things - especially the banana bread. My mum once had a recipe published in a magazine for Banana bread. I made a great batch of Ani Phyo's bread in Edwin (my new excalibur which even my nonraw boyfriend refers to as Edwin) but I finished it for lunch today.

Hi Debs, Im doing ok now (neck went funny last week!) how are you? Ive found someone running Alissa Cohen's Level one certification in Manchester and Im hoping to do that in December. I would love to do a longer course (eg Karen Knowler or Russell James (Oh wow his recipes)) but they all seem to be in term time. I am seriously thinking about asking if I could have time off if I could find one towards the end of the summer term. Ive often dreamed about opening my own cafe, all I need to do is win the lottery (oh wait I have to play the lottery before I can win).

Oh well I have to go and make puritan bonnets now for the school production next week.

Bye for now and happy days to you all.

Fiona

• Debs I know both Karuna & Sura as the guys running them (Sho & Dao) were together before they split.

The last time I went to Sura as I love the nutritional talk of Dao and his knowledge about raw food and the biology of the body.

I t looks like we all have our RAW dream somewhere, keep on manifesting!!

All the Best

• Hi LadyDaventry - love your story about LA and your first supplier!!

Maybe we should organize to meet to share dreams & yummies.

It would be a good way to prepare the soil for the new year's sproutings!!!

I applied to US visa lottery, hoping I will be one of the 50,000 lucky winners.

Destination south California around Encinitas - San Diego!! I love it there. I'm planning to go back in June 2009 for 1 month.

Rash and eczema might have something to see with an overstimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.... Are you particularly stressed? ... it might be the flying schedule.

I assume raw diet should help.

All the Best

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Initially I did put it down to stress, the rash could be caused by so many different factors, none of which the doctor was particularly interested in:

- I live on a boat and 4 weeks ago the water heater exploded, the boat is being repaired as the floors were ripped apart; it took a while to get over the shock of the explosion. I have moved onto another boat for now but it is full of damp and perhaps the spores are affecting my skin.

- I have been on the same pill for five years and maybe my body doesn't want me to take it anymore.

She prescribed me antibiotics (something I have been trying to avoid) and antihistamines for a month so we shall see. So for now I will up my rawness and see how I go. Flying doesn't do good things to my skin anyway!!! I do like Southern California, I am off to San Francisco in two weeks so will be scouting for any raw eateries!!

• Unfortunately antibiotics & antihistamines are not going to help the body's natural healing power...

You've got a lot going on!

Fill up with raw goodies and enjoy San Francisco, I've never managed to get there.

Hope you will have some time to chill out and enjoy raw yummies... I will follow you there with my thoughts.

All the Best :D

• OMG LadyD I trained as a biomedical scientist ages ago, an I worked at Transfusion centre in Southampton fr ages. I'm now nursing an hoping to do nutritional therapy/acupuncture and hypnotherapy courses next year to get the hell out of nursing, which is interesting work but I want to see people get well, not sick. That's my dream, and if anything else comes out of raw then I'm good with that too.

Fee The Alissa Cohen course sounds brilliant, do they run quite frequently? and are they expensive? Hope your neck is ok tht sounded pants :( win lottery an pay for osteopath lol! yes, yu do need to participate......

Gayatri, i'd still love to do one of the raw retreats, I think the one with the hot stone therapy sounds pretty cool. maybe I will suggest it to other half, he could do with some unwinding. Love my bf really but he has got some funny tendencies. However, he made me fantastic salad this evening for when I got home so I can't moan :)

Don't know what to suggest for skin., One of the threads I have written on, I said I thought I had MRSA cos i ad such a sore nose and I rang work to tell the matron, and she just said to come in to work anyway! no staff that's why. sod the patients of course.......anyway someone said to me it was coldsores and I have been increasing my intake of raw food at the time, so it may be result of detox. coldsores are herpes virus so antibiotics are out but perhaps omega 3 oils (flax/hemp) a desertspoon or two a day might help?? only a suggestion.....

• oh dear what has happened to our lovely uk thread? was it something i said....:(

• FeeFee Raw Master

Nothing you said, I forgot to reply is my excuse. I read the thread and thought I'll reply later and then forgot. I hope you arent too offended.

My neck is so much better now thank you, I can move it again comfortably. I havent heard any more about the course which Im a bit disappointed about. I don't want to book online as the course advertised is different to the one the instructor instead.

Im being really organised this year and I have already started wrapping my Christmas presents and we have pretty much all of our presents sorted now. Im planning on making raw chocolates for my friends at work so I think I need some practise/practice (can never remember which it is) and then Id better taste test them.

How are you doing? Im impressed with your bf making you a great salad. My always says he doesnt know what to make me to eat. I have said just cut up loads of salad and it will be fine - everything tastes better when someone else has made it.

Hope the weather isnt too bad down there - its pretty chilly up here.

Best wishes

Fee

• No worries, I thought we might lose the thread with all the other stuff coming up! Sorry about the course, I am tempted to do similar really, but with credit crunch (and I have booked to do acupuncture and hypnotherapy this coming year) otherwise I might have joined you cos I think that would really motivate me to a higher percentage raw.

well done for xmas pressies, not even bought mine....:(

Re neck: I have had chronic back pain for ages and I have paid the earth lately to go to a chiropractor. Didn't think what he did was impressive at first, but I have to say, the back pain is definitely gone! I am quite impressed, and he has said I don't need to go back now for a while.

Let me know about course, I still might join you if I can. If work permits!

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Well I gave up soy products at the same time as starting the medication and after ten days the rash vanished... but now it's back. Either because I let my guard down in Japan and ate lots of soy products or I forgot to take my meds with me. Back to square one!!! I'm off to San Francisco on Tuesday and I have sourced a few raw cafes there. Unfortunately we stay in Japantown and with Japanese cuisine being my favourite (plus me having no will power) I'm not sure how I'll fare :(

But as I mentioned on another thread, I had about 4 clear days of just raw food last week and my skin looked amazing (despite a few cheeky cups of coffee/tea)

• Hi LadyD, sorry your rash back, did it turn up several days after eating soy or do you think it was immediate? It gives a clue as to what type of allergy/hypersensitivity it is? Does it itch, that's reeeaaly annoying, esp when trying to have a good time! I'd heard of China town but Japantown?? I'd love to go to japan and SF! lucky you!

I'm looking forward to four days off when I can get down to eating raw totally and feeling great instead of having to lug myself to work......:(

Tell us about the raw cafes when you can!

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi

Hope everyone is ok in the snow - school is closed so Im making raw bread, pizza bases and buckwheaties so far. A lovely surprise day off.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hello Uk raw foodies!

Sorry have no logged on and said hello for agessss.... Kept having problems with the website (refused to recognise my password - did this happen to anyone else?) and then got hugely busy at work, like to be busy but not so busy can't have a quick surf at lunchtime! Progress on the vegan front is good, on the raw front less so. Boyfriend in a suprise shock move has agreed to go mostly vegan with me, he will only eat non vegan if we go out for food, but has been eating vegan dinners at home now for 3 weeks. Yay! He was having trouble digesting raw stuff so I am going to get him used to vegan first and when he is completly better (he has tummy prob's but 3 weeks vegan has helped alot) introduce some more raw...

How is everyone else doing? I see that lucky Fee is having a day off - never snows properly down here so no day off for me and I suspect not for Deb's either - Boo Hiss.

LadyDaventry: Have you got a dehumidifier for your boat, I got one for the flat last weekend and it's great, sucks up lots of water, apparently is good for asthma ect as less spore in the air, so may work for you too?

• Yay springleaf an fee! i was wondering what had happened to you sp but i do understand workload shoot up pre xmas. well done for getting bf vegan, that's quite a feat! we ate chinese this week, it has been manic an so many peeps off sick at work or ARE sick but have to come in or ward will grind to a halt. some patients are going down with D and V we've lost lots of patients too, so its a bit stressy an sad.

however i have couple of days off now and i'm going to make teh most of it. I made matt amsdens onion bread the other day - absolutely yum but i had to shred it into salad cos it didnt hold together like ani's does - maybe i made it wrong! am going to try buckwheat krispies as well - are they good fee?

does the snow look good? is it still around? how lovely to have surprise day off cos of weather. i knew a teacher in portsmouth who lived on isle of wight and regularly couldnt come in because the ferry was cancelled with the sea being so rough, lol! good move that!

will let you kno how i get on with raw over next few days - rather looking forward to it

good to see you back sp!

Hi Debs, Your work sounds like very hard, difficult-sad work, I used to know a girl who worked on a horse yard and they had to come in when ill as otherwise there wern't enough people to look after all the horses. Are agency staff got in to cover sometimes?

Like I mentioned above, not trying too hard on the raw front at the mo, our lunches usually have quite a lot of salad in them, and my breakfast is quite raw (quite raw musili and freshly squeezed OJ) but not tring to be too pushy as trying lots of cooked vegan as bf likes this a lot better (and can digest it, no tuumy ache, no funny poo ect). Its good that you and Fee are doing so well though! well done :-)

Did you buy the china study? what did you think? It was reading this book that has made me go from long term vegetarian (22 years) to vegan. Anyone reading any good books at the moment?

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi again Guys!

Message from Clr-1976 first

"Am having a nightmare with gone raw, it wont recognise my details and have sent 2 new password requests..

Think I might have to drop ray an email. Apologies for being MIA, perhaps you could let the UK-ies know next time you go on that I havent forgotten you all!"

Thats great news Springleaf about your bf going vegan at home, mine still looks upset if there is no meat in the meal, but did make himself a cream cheese and salad sandwich the other day so I suppose there is hope yet!

I hope you enjoy your days off Debs - you sound as if you could do with it. I love Ani's bread and today I made it with coconut and figs/goji berries in place of the seseme seeds and onion/garlic. Its delicious and I had it with banana for lunch. I had one pizza base for tea and I have frozen the other one for another day. Buckwheaties are great and buckwheat krispies are yummy. I also made raw chocolate chip cookies which are scrummy.

I havent been so raw at lunchtimes as it has been so cold at work, but I make sure I add salad to it to help.

Thanks for the idea about walking before blood tests springleaf - when I thought about it I usually do walk and have no problem then. This time I came from work (and was supposed to be going back!) so I was in the car.

The snow has pretty much gone from where I am now so I guess it will be back to work tomorrow. Still there is only 2 weeks left until the holidays now. I can see Edwin being in great use then too.

Best wishes and big hugs to all

Fee

Hi all, -Including the unable to write (clr!) -, I had the same problem, I had to email a password request cus it told me the old one was wrong. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Luckily they have turned the heating on at work now so it's toasty enough to eat salad at work. Last year in jan they got the heating so high (we have no direct control) that we had to walk round in t-shirts and had windows open!

can't write much today, as again up to eyeballs, but have a good weekend all!!

• Good morning all! well, at least it is here at the moment...

So sorry Clr can't get on, that's a bit pants really, I know it is a glitch but when someone isnt on you can't find out why unless you are in touch with someone offline. So i'm glad she is ok! same goes for you springleaf!

My daughter and bf are coming down this weekend so I don't know how raw I will be, they are quite fussy people really - suit each other down to the ground. I would love to find a recipe that would make them think about being raw. because of work I look pretty awful at the moment, not been able to look after myself so well, so they probably won't be convinced that it is that good a diet. Anyway, we shall see, I will let you know. I would like to try becoming totally vegan at least, if not totally raw, are there any good recipe books for vegan? I could at least start incorporating that in our household and see how I get on - bf might be willing. He certainly has been up for veggie in the past, then he goes and buys sausages and bacon etc lol!

Re: work - I have only once seen an agency nurse during my time in this hospital (started August 2007). They are as tightfisted as they come which is why they are in the black - budget wise. They rely on bank staff but don't really train them up properly, nor are there enough of them to go round. I have known the ward sister to do the early shift 7.30 - 3.30pm and then come back to do part of the night shift till 2 or 3 am because there are no staff. Quite a few of the senior staff are thinking of quitting. If they do, the place will be REALLY bad, because lots of us haven't got the experience. Still, we shall see how it goes.

Love the sound of that adaptation of Ani's bread Fee, and I also looked at your white hot choc, that sounds really yum! Might also give spinach stuffed meatloaf a try this weekend SP, that also looks fab, but only if I get time (my daughter likes to SHOP!!!!)

Have a great weekend all, sorry about the work moan but it really gets it out of my system, you are all great peeps to be in touch with and very inspirational!

Hi all,

Debs don't worry about the work moan! I can join in! I am at work today (sat) and will need to come in tommorrow (sun), not for very long, about an hour each time, but it really breaks up the day. Basically sounds like your hospital is not being given enough money to run on, and as usual it is the people right on the front line who have to bear the brunt!

I got four vegan cookery books for my birthday recently, the best one so far that I have made at least 4 recipies out of is "La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy" and also "Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook" looks good, it only arrived the other day so I have not had a chance to make anything from it yet but it has loads and loads of recipies in it and they look nice. (both came from amazon). It has definatly been easier to get my boyfriend used to the vegan idea rather than the raw vegan one, so good luck for you with your bf! - also show him the stuff about how preserved meat like bacon etc is really bad for you cus of all the nitrates etc, that should help convince him!

Sun is shinning here, hope it is across the uk!

• FeeFee Raw Master

I have a recipe in La Dolce Vegan!!! Its Quick Coffee ice cream. My copy is signed by Sarah and I think her books are great. How exciting to get so many great books for your Birthday. I have loads on my Amazon wish list and hopefully someone will look on there for my Birthday. I make Auntie Bonnie's Wacky Cake from How It All Vegan (another of Sarah'sbooks) all the time for various events and people love it so Im not surprised you have already made four from her book. I love getting new books and sitting and drooling over the recipes. Im not making much at the moment as Im doing a green juice fast as my IBD has flared up (either that or piles (:-)) I think I had been over doing the dehydrated goodies and nuts.

We have some exciting news - we have had an offer made on our house!! And the one we want is still on sale. Oh Im excited!!

Sun is shining here to and it's a wonderful day. Sorry that you are having to go to work at the weekend, not fun. I wish I could get my bf more interested in veggie food, but he switches off it I try and explain the bad things about it.

Hi Fee, off home in a mo, but yes, la dolce vegan is great! also got how it all vegan and vegan with a vengance plus veganomicon, I did sort of hint for them as they were on my amazon wish list! - may all your wishes come true has never been so true! I will look out for both those recipies. Hope the fast works... :-( But great news on your house!!! we gave up looking cus of the crash, we are sitting on our desposit till prices come down ;-)

• Ooh good luck on the house front, that looks really cool at this point in time, I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed!

thanks to you both on the recipe book front, will put those books in my wish list and put it out for christmas, am I right La Dolce Vegan is the best? they all sound good, and as you say, might be easier going that way than trying all raw in mid winter (we have frost ++++) Didn't do so well at raw, but did eat fruit breakfast and I made cashew yogurt yesterday, and I ate a half raw salad at giraffe today so it wasn't all bad. have got my matt amsden onion bread in the oven as we speak!

sooo sorry you are having to work this weekend springleaf, pants!!! yes,. not enough money in your case, but in our case, enough money in the WRONG HANDS... grumble....so annoyed with RD+E hosp. but you should not have to work this weekend, spr, that is pants :(

Got funny situation with our cats at the moment, we have a male cat across the road who sits in the window and both my female cats are either at the window or wanting to go out! when our youngest one was sat indoors moping yesterday, my bf thought she might have been 'dumped', she looked so miserable! she seems ok now but it was funny to think of!

Yes: from what I have looked at so far La dolce vegan is my fave of the books, (not really looked much at veganomicon much tho). from reading the china study I am convinced vegan is the best way to be so aiming for that first and then going to up the raw %. bf has lost about 1.5Kg so far and has been proudly showing me the gap between tummy and waistband!

Cats are so cool! wish I had one. Where I live one of my neighbours had two breezeblocks next to her catflap to make it easier for her cats to get in and out and some complete git has stolen them and now her older cat is having trouble geting back in :-(

• oh poor puddies, how awful some people are. Mine don't have a cat flap and we never did so they don't know what they are missing. I wouldnt do without my cats tho.

sorry i remembered I didnt reply about China Study, am part way through it and it is interesting stuff, but I think I havent got to the meaty bit yet. I was really into it when I had to do my intravenous course and the follow up course, so I got diverted. will have another go tonight. To be honest, just thinking of the food chain and how much it costs to feed cattle from plant food just doesnt make ecological sense at all - don't like animal experiments tho, but at least he explained himself! btw have you ever read DCScience website, it is very anti alternative and although I try and keep a 'scientific' head about things, they are vitriolic about acupuncture (which I have done and it certainly works well on most people), it is quite depressing......:(

Anyway, speak soon - on a long shift tomorrow - have fun all!!!

• ok so i have got la dolce vegan on wish list and same for veganomicon but i might just buy la dolce if you two think it is excellent. I am finding raw hard in this cold weather so I am going easy on it and if I have a good vegan cookbook it might help. Was really pleased with myself and had raw lunch at work with cherries as pudding yesterday, think i actually worked better afterwards! My Matt Amsden bread tastes excellent but unfortunately falls apart really easily, not like ani's, so I am going to mess around to see if I cn make it work better. bf turned the oven up a bit too high as well, and so it got crispy around the edges and prob wasnt so good for me :(

btw I got Raw for 30 days, just going to watch it, will let you know how it is. Still reading China Study, oh how i think that info would help the patients i work for.

Def' get la dolce vegan, yum. Is true about the china study, there is definatly a sence of there being a good bit at the front, a boring ish bit in the middle and an interesting last third. will look up the website you mentioned, I personally, (and as a scientist) get quite cross with over vitriolic type articles/websites as if you are too over zealous you will also miss alternative therapies (like acupuncture) that do work! I think with the china study, if you gave people a copy of the book they would just say " vegan propaganda" without giving it a chance (what the bf did!) but if you pick out individual papers and print them out and show people the science then it stands alone in isolation and can't be rubbished. obviously some people won't be able to take in that level of infromation, but I have had better success - like the author- using the words "whole food plant based diet" as it sounds less like you are a fluffy hippy! - no offense ment to hippies!!!

fee: I can't find your recipie in la dolce vegan can find a recipe for quick ice cream tho... has she taken the coffee out of the recipie?

:-)

• yep will do that. are there recipes for christmas you cd recommend (from any source?) i might look at the raw recipes for christmas/thanksgiving but vegan might go down better with bf! even veggie would be good, but i would really like to do vegan (if B12 isn't too much of an issue for me, cos my mum had pernicious anaemia) from new year onwards. even if I only end up eating mainly raw/vegan, i will be pleased. got to stop bf buying bacon.....:(

agree on fact it will be easier to get research papers to stick under noses, i think i should do it to some of the consultants at work to improve the nutritional status of some of our patients, or even to reduce the chance of people getting it in the first place. Brilliant book in my opinion. He mentions a course at the back, I might look into that but i expect it is only in US.

Raw for 30 days.....awesome, as they say in America!

• hey fellow ukians, happy new year! happy new raw as well! hope we will all link up soon. x

actually, happy new year to ALL on the raw forums, whereever you are in the world!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hello all!

Is anyone still there...? I'm back - I finally got my password sorted, Kandace sorted it out, the star! Gosh gosh, a long time! How is everyone?

• Hey Clr I had given up on the site as everyone seemed to disappear an then I have been quite busy too. Sooo glad you got sorted in the end, hope the raw is still going strong? will try to log on a bit more frequently now. :)