Shelled Almonds

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I could probably do a Google search on this… but I thought to ask here:

If almonds are being pasteurized starting August 2007… is that only for almonds without the shell? Or does that also include almonds with a shell too?

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

It is all raw almonds so I would think both. The ruling didn’t specify though.

• They aren’t still considered raw are they?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

If they are sproutable then I believe that they can be considered raw. Whether they are still sproutable remains to be seen…have seen claims by the authorities that they will be, but I just cannot see how?!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Alexandra – when the almonds are pasteurized if they are not organic they will probably be treated with chemicals (yuck!) if they are organic they will probably be treated with heat pasteurization.

Either method will make them unraw.

Even if they sprout – do you really want to eat supposedly raw almonds (which they won’t REALLY be – although they will be labeling them as such) which have chemicals on them or have been heated?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I didn’t realize that the almonds would be sold either pasteurized or treated chemically.

Let’s hope this only affects the shelled almonds (w/o shell)!

• Ok how is everyone getting this information. Is this being done by the FDA? is there a website we can go to for more information?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I haven’t had a chance to find a GOV website on this. But, I did find this on the Almond Board of California which sounds like this is only for California. I didn’t read it thoroughly, though. A clip from the website:

“Was the almond industry mandated by the government to develop a plan?

No. Almonds are a safe, nutritious food that can be widely enjoyed. This Action Plan is a voluntary initiative by the industry to further ensure the safety and quality of almonds; it has not been mandated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or any other governmental agency.”