Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Split Red Lentils - Raw?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Just by the name… something tells me that Split Red Lentils are NOT raw!

I used to make some of my favorite Indian recipes before trying out this new raw food lifestyle. (We’re mostly raw.) So, now I have all this food in my kitchen cabinets that’s not making it out as often as it used to. I decided it’s time to really learn how to sprout… lentils, beans, etc… I saw this “un-chicken fingers” recipe that calls for sprouted lentil and I was ready to use my red-lentils when I read SPLIT red lentils. They’re not going to sprout – are they? It really is a lentil split in two – isn’t it? :o(

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I think you are probably right, they are not raw, since they have already split. On a side note, I tried that un-chicken fingers recipe from Alissa Cohen, is that that one you are talking about? I tried the spicier one, and it was definetely spicey…in fact too spicey for me to eat plain, but it tasted really good with avacado put on top of it!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

What is the unspicy recipe? I have only seen the spicy one I’d like to try the unspicy one.

• Red lentils probably wont sprout, no – my boyfriend tried it ones, and it ended up smelling rotten fish :-O Stick to the green ones.

• If you soaked them for a few hours to hydrate wouldn’t that still be raw? You could then put them in with some lemon and oil to preserve them. Do you have to sprout them for the recipe? What about sprouted garbanzo beans that might be good to substitute.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

The red lentils I used for this recipe also looked like they were split (they had one flat side and one round side), but to my amazement, they sprouted up perfectly! So you might just give it a try to see what happens.

• HI germin8, If you make the indian recipe and it is good please share!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, this is Alissa Cohen’s recipe for BBQ Chicken Fingers. No, this is not an Indian recipe, writeeternity. I wanted to use red lentils for this unchicken fingers recipe (I used red lentils for my cooked Indian food). I thought red lentils would give it a nice color.

Since I don’t know if my split red lentils will sprout, I decided to germinate brown lentils because I really wanted to try this recipe SOON! It just looks so good! The recipe calls for sprouted lentils… and I know I was going to practice sprouting… but I didn’t get the chance to try it this weekend. Next time.

spiritedmama: Spicier? I would like to try that one! Do you just add a spice or is it a different recipe?

germin8, it is the same recipe, the BBQ chicken fingers, like I said, a little too spicy for my taste, but go great with avocado!

zoe, remember when you posted the link for the chicken recipe I requested, well the BBQ chicken one was it. When I went to the link, Alissa mentioned that she has a non-spicy version, but I have been unable to find it.

• Do any of you have the recipe for the BBQ chicken fingers to share? I would appreciate ;-)

• I do-here it is. (Thanks for reminding me-my sprouted lentils are ready and I was trying to figure out a recipe to use them in!).

2 cups carrots 2 cups sprouted lentils 3/4 cup orange juice 1/4 cup onion 4 Tbs olive oil 2 Tbs honey 1 1/2 Tbs curry 1 Tbs poultry seasoning 2 tsp sea salt

1. In a food processor, not a Vita-mix, process the carrots until diced. 2. Add in other ingredients. Blend until well blended. (These should not be completely smooth, but more grainy looking). 3. Pour onto Teflex sheets on top of mesh dehydrator screens in an oblong 2×4 mound. 4. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 10 hours. (Flip half way through if possible).

Notes: These will seem a little soupy before you dehydrate them, just pour them out and try to build them up as much as possible, you don’t want them to be paper thin. It is very important to use the right amount of orange juice. These offer a much stronger, spicier flavor than the Chick-Un Patties. They are delicious served with honey-mustard sauce. ~from Alyssa Cohen, “Living on Live Food”

• The unspicy version is similar but uses: 1 cup cashews 1 cup carrots 1 cup celery 1 head cauliflower 2 cups sprouted lentils 1 cup corn 3/4 cup onion 1/2 cup green bell pepper 4 Tbs Mayonnaise 1 Tbs almond butter 1 Tbs Herbamare seasoning salt 2 tsp dulse seaweed 1 tsp nutritional yeast 1 Tbs olive oil

(Mayo recipe: Blend 3/4 cup almond milk, 2 Tbs avocado, 1 1/2 Tbs cider vinegar and 3/4 tsp sea salt in a blender. Slowly add 3/4 cup olive oil and continue to blend until smooth, then chill to thicken. Thinner than real mayo but tastes just like it.)

Grind cashews until fine in food processor and empty into a large bowl. Grind carrots, celery, and cauliflower until diced and add to the bowl with the cashews. Blend the rest of the ingredients in a food processor. Mix into the cashews, carrots, celery, and cauliflower mixture. Transfer this mixture back to the food processor in 2-3 batches (as needed) and continue to process until all ingredients are a smooth consistency. Form into medium sized patties and place on Teflex sheets on top of a mesh dehydrator screen and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8-10 hours. Flip patties after 2-3 hours onto mesh dehydrator screens. Serve with honey mustard dressing, place in between Burger Buns or use as Chicken Parmesan in place of eggplant.

~also from Alyssa Cohen’s Living on Live Foods

(Hope it is ok to share these on this site. I think it only encourages others to buy her book, which is fantastic. I considered buying many but had a chance to borrow this one from a friend and like it so much that I bought a copy (it’s on it’s way as we speak). Very inspiring to those new to Raw/Living foods and attentive to appropriate food combining and filled with some yummy recipes, especially the Falafals!).

• WOW Thanks a lot! I’m going to try this on my boyfriend!

• Sure—I’d love to hear how they come out! I have to say, I bought the brown lentils to sprout and they are delicious. Couldn’t wait to have some so I mixed a cupful with some alfalfa sprouts mixed together with olive oil, nutritional yeast, sea salt, kelp powder and garlic powder. YUM!

The BBQ Chicken Fingers I tried are on We Like It Raw

We just made ours yesterday and this morning… they are all crumbly and falling apart! They are good… but not holding together. I am disappointed. We like spicy, but I could try the unspicy recipe.

• Thanks for the recipes! But what is “poultry seasoning” really made of? Most spice mixes around here contains artificial stuff, so.. if I know what spices are in it, I can just kind of mix it myself.

I put together my own poultry seasoning. Can’t remember everything, but it had spices such as parsley, sage, thyme, marjoram(?), onion powder, and rosemary. But, I didn’t have rosemary… probably a good one to have for poultry seasoning.

If you make the recipe… please tell me how you kept your un-chicken fingers from crumbling apart.

• I’ve made the un-chicken fingers recipe, but I made them too thin (although I thought they were more than thick enough before dehydrating), so I guess they will just fall apart when I’m gonna loosen them from the teflex.. :-/

• Hey That’s good to know Satnam- I was going to try this this weekend. Thanks!

The last few un-chicken fingers we put on the dehydrator tray had more orange juice than the others. Those seemed to have held together better. I had my doubts at first… but if the key is in the orange juice, maybe we need more. I enjoyed the un-chicken fingers… they were good. But, I am less likely to make them again unless I know how to make them stick. BTW, I used freshly squeezed orange juice.

Thanks for the un-chicken finger recipe! I can’t wait to try it when I get back to Flagstaff and can use my excaliber! Good to know it might need more OJ, too.

When I made the BBQ ones, I put HUGE globs on the tray and was surprised how much smaller they got. Mine held together just fine, but I’m sure if I had made them smaller, they wouldn’t have.

You live in Flagstaff, AZ? Oh wow… beautiful place. I used to live in AZ and travelled the state a lot.

I used my food processor. And, my husb and thinks they would stick more if you use the blender. Maybe try half in the food processor and half in the blender. Just a guess.

• riversanctuary, thank you for sharing that recipe. It's been ages since I've actually followed a recipe (versus just getting an idea of it and tweaking it into something totally new), but I followed this one. Well OK I used 1 Tbsp of agave rather than 2 Tbsp of honey, but close enough!

The pre-dehydrated mix was SO runny and the liquid kept running all over my teflex trays. I carefully scooped it off and put them in these small plates I have which have a shallow lip on them. Like a very shallow bowl. That's keeping the liquid at bay and I'm planning on transferring them onto teflex once they dehydrate for many hours. The flavor was great though! I imagine these will be wildly delicious when they're concentrated by the dehydration. Can't wait to chomp em' down!

• I had a small bag of bulk organic red lentils sitting in the cupboard that I wanted to test for sprouting ability. I did a Google search to see if I would be wasting my time and wound up here :) Then I just went ahead and began the soaking/sprouting process.

I'm happy to report that my red lentils did sprout. They're the cracked in half ones so I didn't think they're really sprout, but they did get some tiny tails so I just put them in the BBQ chicken recipe further down the thread.

• I tried this with a mix of red and green lentils and a few changes (I nixed the OJ b/c I used rejuvelac to soak the nuts, which were cashews and pistachios I mostly ground up, in a jar in the warmth of the dehydrator for a day or so, to properly get rid of the antinutrients et al. I used celery root because the season for local stalk-celery is very short, and getting that kind of thing from Cali is a little eco-unfriendly. I used a white and red mix of these miniature onions from my CSA. I used some cajun seasoning, herbes de province, nixed the seaweed, poultry seasoning, corn, and nightshade (ohno not alkaloids!), added 1 1/2 T dry mustard, added pink, green, black, and white pepper, some bakingsoda to dial up the pH a tiny bit, and I used a few drops of Eden Organic tarmari instead of nutritional yeast given it may contain MSG and is not remotely raw, or even vegan, technically.)

I dehydrated at a bit lower temperature than 105, I think, given I had one part be done at the 20 hour mark, and just shifted the second tray of the unchicken down so it can finish tonight. Given the abundance of probiotics in the recipe I did, I don't need to be in a hurry about prep.

Gracious thanks for the shares, RiverS!