Anyone out there doing the Disney Marathon this year?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

This will be my second marathon(kick self in head). The first I did 80% raw. I’d like to do this one 100% raw. I think i’ll be crackin’ alot of coconuts!

Comments

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi!

Not doing Disney, but just ran the Chicago this past Sunday. It was my first marathon as a vegan/mostly raw. I ONLY take coconut water with me… it’s fantastic. You absorb most of it, so you don’t have to stop at a porta-potty! I also ate tons of coconut oil the week prior. Unfortunately my IT band started acting up at mile 10, so the last 16 miles were kinda excruciating… and it was HOT. I am just beginning to be able to walk normally… except for the IT band, which is killing me.

When is Disney?

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

cool! my sister is going….she still has quite a bit of money to raise though

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

The Disney run sounds so cool. I’m running my first marathon this Sunday in San Francisco. So I’m planning on filling my Camelback back pack with water and bringing my coconut water (only about 8 ounces) prepackaged. Plus Thrive bars and dates with pink crystal salt. Any other suggestions?

That sounds great to me. The salt is a necessity. I ate 3 salt packets last Sunday during the run. Have you tried the brand of gel called “Carb-boom”? It’s pretty decent stuff, pureed fruit and not a bunch of crap like what’s in Power Gel and GU.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

The only “goo” i took last marathon was dates. I’m great until mile 18 anyway so i just pack a few. Heartshapedsky-are you doing the Nike Women’s? Nice one. I like celery (for salt), but Have not quite figured out how to pack that. I run with my own fluids since I don’t like to stop or risk tripping. Disney-should be fun w/ all the characters, but tough to plan. it could be 30 degrees or 75 at the start. No Team in Training for me this time. I’m doing this on my own (but i’ll see all the team training on my runs).Annabelle-pain at mile 10? Ohh. that’s not so fun. Why take so much coconut oil before running? I’m mostly a fruit girl.

Coconut oil a great source of medium chain triglicerides. The body uses it as fuel immediately. It is a fat that wont be stored as fat. A lot of ‘natural’ athletes consume lots of it. I believe it goes straight to the mitochondria for cell energy.. granted I have not read any clinical studies but…

• where can you get coconut oil? i was supposed to run my first marathon oct 4 but i’ve been injured since sept 3rd. so i sat it out :(

but i ran 4 miles today (my first run in a month and a half) and it felt so great. i might be running the memphis marathon on dec 6 but we’ll see…good to hear there’s other runners on here

You can get coco oil in most natural food stores, or order it online. Be sure to get organic, UNREFINED cold-pressed oil. Nutiva and Spectrum both make good ones.

I hope you get better! My IT band seems to be getting worse. I can barely bend my knee without pain. stupid Illiotibial!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

Annabelle- How did you carry the coconut oil with you? Thanks!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

this website and his book have really helped my knee pain issues. it looks like a cheezy website but I’m pretty convinced:

www.runningpain.com