Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juice or smoothie to start the morning?

rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

Ok…I am transitioning and trying to get more greens..my juicer is not working well and I am having trouble getting down green drinks..and when i do, they are not filling me till lunch…many people are saying to juice morning and at night but i also see tons of recipes for green smoothies to start the morning (just made one myself ;) So…obviously in a smoothie, the greens aren’t juiced so wondering if the smoothies have the same nutritional content as a juice (I am thinking not) and a good alternative to a morning green juice, esp until I get a good juicer and get used to it being filling enough for me.

Thanks for clarification on this!

ClaireT

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I actually almost never use my juicer anymore…. I just end up throwing the pulp away because I don’t like making complex recipes in the dehydrator.. so I only do smoothies now. No waste and you get all the fiber too

ClaireT
  • 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Smoothies have all the same nutritional content as juices, plus all the fibres and cellulose, which is, in my opinion, as healthy as eating the plant foods whole, but with the added bonus of having everything broken down, which we don’t always accomplish by chewing. The benefit to juices is mostly that the nutrients are assimilated much more quickly as a result of the absence of fibre, which slows down the rate of absorption. This is good and bad. Some argue that juices cause a spike in blood sugar because the fibre is no longer there to slow down the digestion.

I think you can do just fine, possibly better, by simply putting anything into the blender and adding enough filtered water to turn the whole mess into a smoothie. The fibre is really good for cleaning out the intestines anyway. I love juices, but I think I prefer smoothies for more complete nutrition.

ClaireT
  • chicorychicory Raw Newbie

smoothies keep me full also, depending what I bulk them up with. Juicing makes me hungry!!! also, blender is much easier to clean.. less disassembly

ClaireT
  • 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I totally agree, Chicory. I powered through a litre of juice this morning before 9 am, but I could have been satisfied with half as much smoothie and it would have kept me going until lunchtime.

ClaireT
  • RawKRawK Raw Newbie

they are not filling enough? put 1/4 lb of baby spinach, 6 bananas and a cup of strawberries in a blender. drinking this will provide roughly 700 calories, myriad vitamins/minerals and you will not be hungry for at least a couple of hours.

ClaireT
  • troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I can’t handle massive smoothies with a hundred fruits but I add a bit of coconut oil and that helps alot!

my smoothies: 1banana 1apple a cup of berries(usually frozen) dab of honey scoop of coconut oi a handful of spinach or other greens water

ClaireT
  • RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

I blend my greens and juice my fruits and veggies and then mix them together. My blender can’t handle alot of the harder fruits and veggies and my juicer doesn’t do greens so….until I hit the lotto and can afford the juicer I need this seems to work for me. I stay full for hours. I guess I am a smuicer. ha ha

ClaireT
  • rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

rawk…i can’t have fruit, except in small quantities so i need to make my smoothies or juices mostly veggies,,,,,i think problem is that i was eating really high protein before (was eating meat, beans, etc)..i know it is said there is alot of protein in greens, but they don’t fill me the way other protein does…i guess somethung my body has to get used to.

ClaireT
  • rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

so…it sounds like the smoothies have more fiber than juicing…i am reading this correctly?? For those that juice, how do you get more fiber?

ClaireTCKinion
  • schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Hi rawforhealth, Yes that’s right. I prefer smoothies because they are more filling, have less cleanup, less waste, and mostly, honestly, because they’re cheaper. It takes far more produce to make juice. So a cup of juice vs a cup of smoothie has more vitamins and minerals because it takes more produce to make the same amount minus the fiber.

What type of fruit and how much can you have? It does help to add fruit to a green smoothie to make it more palatable. Or can you use a stevia or erythritol product to help make it sweeter (zero glycemic index)? Adding a fat to your smoothie will be more filling too, I use 2 Tbs almond or cashew butter.

Otherwise I would recommend making it more like a savory soup with garlic and ginger. Spinach is good for smoothies because the flavor is quite mild.

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • DiorellaDiorella Raw Jr. Leader

Any is good actually. But I on my part is in to smoothies in the morning. 2 liters of smoothie in the morning. I need to be fully full in the morning, or else I'll be thinking of other things that I can eat during lunch. It's just me.

ClaireTTammiTrueCKinion
  • marieshymarieshy Raw Newbie

I tried different juicers for "Greens Juicers" , i want to advice review on homus.org about them(just for sharing good article)

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • reenakalidinreenakalidin Raw Newbie
    I am having smoothies for the past 7days and now I have the worst runny nose. No tablet can stop it. Any suggestions as to the cause of the runny nose.
    TammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master
    I am having smoothies for the past 7days and now I have the worst runny nose. No tablet can stop it. Any suggestions as to the cause of the runny nose.

Allergies? It's definitely the start of the season for them. 

• edited May 2022

I prefer smoothies because they are more beneficial and contain more vitamins.
    The advantages of this drink have already been said and written a lot, the most basic thing is that only in one glass of smoothies you can get a daily rate of fruits and vegetables, prepare smoothies easily and quickly, it is useful even for children, it improves health, strengthens the immune system.
    There are many advantages. I love green smoothies, and I want to share with you my favorite recipe. You will need avocado, apple, cucumber, and ginger. And you will take a tasty and nutritious smoothie.
    The most important thing is to choose the best blender for green smoothies, and with its help, you will enjoy this drink and the cooking process.laughing

• rawtarian_jackrawtarian_jack Raw Newbie
    edited May 2022
    marieshy said:

I tried different juicers for "Greens Juicers" , i want to advice review on homus.org about them(just for sharing good article)

It's much easier to use blenders when you're working with greens. They're usually leafy and not only that some juicers can't work with them, but you're losing lots of vitamins in process. Another point is that juice is usually made by squeezing the liquid extract from fruits, much of the skin and sometimes pulp can be removed.

Technically juicing and blending aren't significantly different, juicers just finely chop the plant (i.e., blend) and then filter out the fiber using some sort of spinning device. But this is only possible because the juices and the fibers have been separate in process. While blending destroys the structure of fruits and turns it into fruit juice + fiber. So blender for making green smoothies is better since you're planning to get more greens in your diet.