Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Really Dry Skin

LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Hello everybody. It is wintertime and my boyfriend is suffering from severely dry skin. Right now he is using Cetaphil, which I feel is only contributing to the problem. Does anyone here know of a great natural lotion for intensely dry skin? Thanks!

PravinaSolanki

Comments

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

My face is incredibly dry - I know my job doesn't help but when I am in the air I drink gallons of water. It is literally peeling off and I am quite scared. I have just come off the pill so I suppose my body is going through some changes.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I have found that coconut oil works great for me. You can put it straight on, but I think it is more effective when I make a body scrub(just mix with brown sugar) and use it when showering. If I don't have than, even the sugar/salt scrubs they sell at Trader Joes works well(it was where I got my initial idea to mix the oils and sugars to make my own). My face is still it's own monster, but my body responds pretty well to the scrub and avoiding commercial soaps(if I use them now my skin is dried out and itchy within a few hours).

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Drink more water... Do not drink and eat at the same time as it lowers the acid in your stomach. Instead, drink at least 1/2 hour before you eat, and don't drink for an hour after. If your bf doesn't eat a lot of raw foods, he needs more water and fresh fruit juices. This, like anything else you do to your body will take time to reap benefits so don't expect it to be going away within a week.

Also do not use soap. I've had GREAT success with the Oil Cleansing method. Google it, there's lots of info. And it's cheaper than anything else. I use coconut oil but you can use whatever suits you so long as it's cold pressed.

• Cetaphil is great for dry and sensitive skin, but when going through chronic, painfully dry skin, it can be too watery, and if left to evaporate, which takes what little water is in your skin right out with it it can dry your skin even more.

In the the dryer winters or when going thruough a bad spell in general, I have to mist my skin with water, then pat on my lotions, THEN maybe another misting of water and seal in the lighter lotion with a heaveir cream so it doesn't evaporate. Lets see, this morning, right after shower when still moist, I patted on Alaffia shea honey lotion and coconut oil. Later on, I misted my calves, put on Cetaphil, misted again, then sealed it in with Earthworm Herbals Hemp cream. Its like green vaseline.

I sometimes put aloe vera, GSE, or rose water in my misting water.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

Having a humidifier or vaporizer in the bedroom helps a lot too. Run it at night and that dryness isn't so bad in the morning.

• Doombot -

The following are two things I have read about dry skin that have stuck with me.

I have read that dry skin is a sign of how dehydrated your body/skin is.

I have also read that it is a sign of how toxic your liver is.

I found the comments to be interesting.

What I have found to work....

Oil Pulling

Cucumber Juice (Great skin way to hydrate your body/skin)

This sounds crazy but it works...Burt Bee's Fabulously Fresh - Peppermint & Rosemary Body Bar

Jojoba Oil with your choice of essential oil in your bath

Vinegar bath (Add 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar to bath)

Currently, I am the only one who does the oil pulling in our family.

You tend to notice softer skin in about a 2 week period. The time frame

varies from person to person.

Our whole family does the cucumber juicing with great results.

See a difference in skin in about a three day period.

We also are currently all using the Burt Bee's soap. We considered it magical. :)

This is the only soap we will use in the winter. I have seen it do wonders on cracked

dried, painful, and bleeding hands. We avoid other soaps.

If you have severe dry skin I would test the vinegar water out on it first. If it stings...stick

with the first three mentioned above. Before we found out about the raw lifestyle,

we gave vinegar baths to our dd for her eczema. Really makes your skin soft.

We have found lotions tend to sting and make it worse. So, we stay away from them.

I have also used coconut oil and sesame oil on my dry hands. I have heard people

have great results with these. However, they did not work well for the dry skin on

my hands or body. I do use the two on my lips and have great results. I also use

sesame oil to wash my face. Sesame oil is known to help remove wrinkles. Extra magical benefits. :)

Well, I have written a book on our experiences...I hope one of them will help.

Many Smiles!!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I'm having the same problem, after a major skin reaction to some unknown product. My skin is sandpaper right now. I'm trying to exfoliate the dead skin off gently in the shower, then apply liberal amounts of virgin coconut oil. The skin soaks it right in, so it doesn't stay greasy on the skin's surface for more than a couple of minutes. So far, my skin is looking better, even though it is still dry. When I return from vacation in February, I plan to donate all of my commercial moisturizers to friends who use them. I have at least 4 or 5 different kinds. I'm pretty dedicated to the coconut oil now. The aroma is very subtle and it doesn't cause pimples at all. During this time, I've been avoiding soaps and makeup of any kind, to keep my skin free of any potential irritants or clogging of pores.

Your boyfriend might benefit from a bit of natural TLC at your hands, in the form of an avocado mask. It's fun to smear green goo all over the face, leave it there for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with a soft, wet cloth. The avocado oils will help moisturize his skin. A gentle face massage with the coconut oil will increase circulation, slough off dead skin cells and encourage new growth. Good luck!

• LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas guys! I love how supportive this community is. I will show this thread to my bf when I get home. :)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

cetaphil is the only lotion that has ever worked for me. i swear by it!! i also use olive oil. at night, i put either the lotion or oil on my hands, put gloves on (I have cloth gloves) and sleep in those.

• Oh! 1sweetpea...mentioned another great method I have

not used in awhile...Awesome Avocadoes!!

Great Moisturizer!

• LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

It feels like a shame not to eat the avocado instead :)

Lol, that is my thoughts on the avocado...I only discovered this past summer I really do love them. I'm wondering if once I take most of it if I could just turn the skin inside out and use what is there to rub into skin instead.

• That's Funny! :)

I know what you mean.

But look at it this way, it could be fun...

the making of a new Raw video...similiar to

Shazzie's Durian video.

Either way you can't lose with the avocado.

It works internally and externally.

Internally it gives the skin the Glow!

Externally it is a magical moisturizer.

Green Goo Fun!! :)

• blueyz -

Yeah, that is pretty much what I have done when I

used the avocado method. Just used what was left over

inside the skin and on the seed.

Simply Raw - nice :) I I liked that little post, made my giggle(lol, I'm vacation and relaxed so giggles do happen).

I'm dogsitting until Thursday and needing something for my skin. Not much to choose from at my parents, but I DO have 1/2 avocado left from last night so once I use it I know what I'll be doing with the skin tonight!! Oh, wait I also have a full uncut one too...I think later tonight may end up a natural skin care type of evening for me :)

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

>>It feels like a shame not to eat the avocado instead :)

• Hi everyone... I'm new to this. For years my daughter has struggled with dry hands when the weather changes. I constantly preach take your essential oils. Omega 3 - 6 - 9. Flax Seed Oil ... Take 3 at 1000 mg oer day and your dry skin will go away... When she does this she too does not suffer... try it for 1 week... then back off 3 to 2 then to 1 per day, if your dry skin comes back... you need more flax seed oil.

• my hands and legs get REALLY dry and flakey in the winter. Nothing has ever worked for me except olive/coconut oil, and tonya zavasta's Your Right To Be Beautiful Cream. Its pricey but so so worth it. i don't use any other hygiene products unless the occasion calls for it. my skin, hair, and body odor is dramatically better.

• I found this about regular moisturizers..

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/drclarknetwork/borax_soap.html

we have been putting aluminium on our skin!!!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

aluminium is just one small but important part of it.

If you read on the shampoo, conditioners and soaps they contain petrolumun.

people are always talking about our dependence on oil but they never mention what they do with all the

by products. I used to use baby oil all the time until I found out what it really is. They are making us sick with

bathing, yuck!

Now there is none of that on my skin anymore. that and eating better has made my dry skin go away.

although I never had any kind of rashes other than acne which only comes back when i eat sad

My granddaughters rashes cleared up when she went gluten free and my nephew when he gave up milk products

always pay attention to the labels. and a good rule to use is "if your not suppose to eat it do NOT put it on your skin"

• I now use baking soda to exfoliate and wash, it does wonders to the skin!

I hope baking soda is ok..any comments on it?

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi corecries,

I would think it's fine just because it has been a safe natural toothpaste for many years not to mention safe in risen breads. For those into that sort of thing, lol. I think I will try it. Thanks :)

• Corecries, how do you use the baking soda?... just mix it with water? My skin is so dry it feels like I have scales!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I also use baking soda for bathing. I use an empty bottle and mix it with water depending on the thickness you like

and then it is there when I need it.

I like the bottles i got at walgreens they have a snap lid so not too much comes out at a time.

also dry brushing helps too

• i agree with Luanne on this one, i take a desertspoonful or two of flaxseed oil (from a dark glass bottle) each day and this almost seems to waterproof my skin from the inside. I can also get eczema when its really cold, and this goes away using flax seed oil, without having to use steroid creams (which essentially thin the skin and are generally not good....)

• kthornton

I wet my face and add a pinch of baking soda to my palm, rub them together and then gently exfoliate my face., then rinse thoroughly every night and sometimes in the morning.

Some use a teaspoon and mix with water to make a paste, I think this is a waste, a pinch is more than enough for me. After the wash I put on virgin coconut oil for 20-30 minutes.(due to dermatitis)

Then I mix a drop of aloe and my face cream which is a natural cacti cream.

The baking soda seems to make the pores smaller, and the skin looks younger.

• i love that coconut oil is an anti fungal, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to soak into my skin unless i use it as a scrub with sugar or salt. My face was so dry that it kept peeling at work. i hated that i looked like i had crumbs on my face all the time. The thing that finally stopped it for me was shea butter. The best thing about it is that i can wash my hands or whatever and still notice an overall improvement in my skin from the shea butter. For example, In the car, i put a glob of it on one spot on my hand like a pallette and use the other hand to apply it to my face. Hours later i can identify the one spot where i had it sitting because it's smooth and hydrated. So i guess i also recommend the spot test.

• I agree with the coconut oil. I don't use sugar or anything to create a exfolient because it has its own natural exfoliate. Just get a tablespoon of the oil in it's solid state and rub it all over your body either in the shower or before you get in if it's easier and then just use it like soap. I'm using Loving Earth organic Coconut Oil from Australia and my skin is really smooth and all of my kitchen cuts heal very quickly as well. (I'm a raw food pastry chef). All of my dry skin has disappeared on my face and body and I have a surgical scar from November that is fading fast. Try it and see how it goes and it can't hurt because it's so natural.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

make sure he is definitley taking in adequate water intake especially if his medication is causing him to dehydrate.

• I had severe sensitive skin prior to going raw. Everytime my skin touched water and dried, I had to put lotion on immediately because my skin felt like it was burning. Touching paper was the worst! Now I dry brush before showering, use all natural soap and shampoo, and then use extra virgin cold pressed organic (non-organic will work fine I'm sure) and rub it into my skin in place of lotion after a shower. My skin never feels dry and scaley anymore. Even sleeping into the next day and showering later my skin still feels hydrated and soft.