Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

MASTER CLEANSE

carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Okay, so I want to start doing another Master Cleanse on Monday, but I leant my book to someone and haven't received it back yet. Can someone give me the ratio's of Lemon/Maple/Water? I think it's 2Tbsp of Lemon and Maple in a 10 ounce glass and fill the glass.... but i can't remember. Any help would be great!!!

Comments

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Hi Carrie, you are correct. It is two and two plus half a pint of water. Ideally 6 - 9 glasses a day. Don't forget the cayenne. Good luck, I only did it once for 7 days and would not do it again!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

yeah- you're measurements are right and don't forget the 1/10 tsp cayenne pepper.

good luck!!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

If you can get the cayenne in liquid form, it's much easier to blend in. I get it at my local herb shop.

i didn't know cayenne came in liquid form. that's soo cool!! it is definitely noticeable in the cleanse drink, but i think it tastes really good.

It's called Capsicum Extract, and is a little expensive. But it lasts a long time.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Thank you everyone :) Yeah, didn't forget the cayenne - i'll always remember that ratio! I can't do the cayenne pills because they actually burn my stomach - not a good feeling. Not sure how the liquid cayenne would work, but i'm okay with the powder. I usually do my morning drink with more cayenne than it calls for and then the next drink, without it. Kind of give myself a break and a reward :) This will be my 4th or 5th one. Can't remember how many i've done. I plan on doing it for as long as i can. The last time i did it i felt so good that i wanted to keep going but i had prior commitments that i had to attend (and had to eat at). This one is good - my schedule is clear of any obligations!! Can't wait to start it on Monday!

RawKaren - what didnt you like about it? I noticed last time that because i eat raw, my body couldn't physically take the sugar in the maple syrup. I felt "gross" and that's not normally how i feel on the MC. So, i decided on the 3rd day to switch over to Agave to see how i feel. By the middle of the day (and after a few glasses of the MC drink) i felt 100% better. And, like i said above, i felt so good doing the cleanse that i wanted to just keep going. It really did make a huge difference for me. Also, i cannot do the Smooth Moove tea. I had such horrible cramping that it kept me up almost all night. I did do the saline flush and as horrible as it is, i felt so good after doing it. My husband and I are so different when we do the flush part - he just has to go into the bathroom once and he's done with it. Me, I'm in there on and off all morning. It takes about an hour for it to have it's effect on me and then about an hour and a half to wear off. My body is much healthier than my husbands, so i'm not sure why we react this way...

Anyway, thanks for all the help, everyone!

do you know if yacon syrup would work in place of the maple syrup?? i have both but i was just curious. i'm juicing today and tomorrow, and i like taking the master cleanse with me when i'm out.

carrie, what is the saline flush?

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Interesting about the agave tip in place of the maple. I did find the sweetness after a while was grossing me out. I think it was not a food thing, it just killed me socially and practically. I found it hard to lead a 'normal' existence during that week, so you have to plan well to make sure that you can focus on it. I think I just like food too much though, and feel I can do just as well on green smoothies - I'm addicted to that freshness taste!

• In order to do a successful master cleanse you should get the book. There is one by Stanley Burroughs, but his is pretty vague after I read another book called "The Complete Master Cleanse: A Step-by-Step Guide to Maximizing the Benefits of the Lemonade Diet" by Tom Woloshyn.

I believe there is another one which I want to purchase. I like to read the same subject with different authors. They always differ so it is interesting to see how.

I would like to clarify a few things:

It is actually 8 oz of water, 2 tablespoon maple syrup grade b, and 2 tablespoon of freshly squeezed organic lemons, and 1/10 organic cayenne pepper that make up to BE 10 oz. :)

It is quite confusing in Stanley's book, but very clear on Tom's book who was a student of Stanley.

Also, about the agave, the reason maple syrup is better is that maple syrup has natural minerals in them since there are no other source of minerals during the master cleanse...so I highly suggest you stick with the maple syrup.

About the tea, according to Tom, the cramping means that your colon is trying to move your junk out, lol. I agree the cramping is horrible. And the longer you steep your tea bag in the water, the stronger the tea will be, therefore more likely to cause cramping. You might want to try steeping it for 2-3 minutes.

Good luck on your master cleanse!

Joanna - sorry about not getting back to you. I'm on day 4 of the cleanse now and haven't been on here in a few days. I'm sure the Yacon would work as well since it's naturally derived. I think that's why the Agave works too - the nutrients come from the ground. I'm sure the maple does work best just in terms of nutrients, but i feel so great using the Agave! The saline flush is... well, you take 2 teaspoons of celtic sea salt and put that into a quart of warm water. Shake... drink. I drink mine as fast as i possibly can without gagging. Warm water was never my favorite :) You will "flush" soon thereafter. For everyone, the flushing is different. My husband drinks his water and 45 minutes he goes to the bathroom. He goes twice and is done with it. For me, I drink it an about an hour later, i start going to the bathroom. I'm in and out a few times where just a little comes out. Then,i go in and have 2 "flushes" where almost everything comes out... this sounds really gross, but it feels good to know that all of this is now coming out instead of being stored inside of you. I have read that people on the cleanse for 40 days still have solids coming out. You can do this the morning after you've had foods you shouldn't have or after you've eating too much and just feel crummy. It just helps to flush your system. But, try to drink water to replenish...

RawKaren - i truly believe that if my meat-loving carnivore husband can do this, anyone can do it :) You do need to be determined or you can fall off easily. I have a strange thing where i can feel satisfied just by smelling food. Today, my son had some of that white cheddar popcorn and it just smelled so good, so i sat there smelling the bag for a few minutes. I didnt want to eat it, it just smelled good :) My husband can't take this. He doesn't want to talk about food or hear or smell it either. He knows he's not hungry on the cleanse, he just misses eating.

Jiyun - thank you. I actually have the book and i enjoyed it all - I have the one by Stanley Burroughs. I think the problem with his book is that it's just a little outdated. I love the stories in it and such... If you go to yahoo and type in Master Cleanse, there is a website that comes up and I think it's thelemonadediet or some sort of raw site. The guy on there sells books as well. You'll know its the right site when they mention the Lemonade Brigade. I wish i could remember the site off the top of my head. I have to get a new membership since i cant remember my login/pass from over 2 years ago (i did this cleanse before i was raw). They also have some great raw recipes on this site. I truly understand why they want you to stick to Maple - and I agree. But, after the last cleanse, i felt physically ill on the maple. So, i tried the Agave and i felt so much better. I don't feel deprived at all. I feel better than i normally do. I found a tea that is a blend of some natural leaves and some senna - not 100% senna. That seems to work okay. I have very minimal cramping and i only seep the bag for a maximum of 2 minutes. However, i have no problems with using just the saline flush :) This cleanse truly is amazing once you go through it and see what your body has stored. This is my 4th or 5th cleanse and i'm just always amazed.

Thank you all!!!!

• I'm on day 7 of the master cleanse now (in order to get back into raw, as I wasn't over break), however I have not been doing the cayenne. I don't eat that much spicy food and so I really couldn't handle it in the lemonade. I tried doing a concentrated shot of it, but it upset my stomach and it was horrible going to the bathroom later on in the day.

So has anyone else done it without the cayenne? I started putting minced ginger in the lemonade instead - is this a bad idea?

• I'm no expert by any means but....cayenne is a blood purifier [and can actually heal ulcers]...don't know if the garlic will satisfy the purpose of the cayenne or not.

I can't handle the cayenne in the drink so I use capsules of it instead...they now have "cool" cayenne capsule...they don't explode in your stomach like regular ones and doesn't have the after burn [if ya know what I mean] as bad either

Best of luck...keep up the good work!!

Peace & abundance

Lo~

That's good to know - i didn't realize they made a "cool" cayenne pill! I'll have to look for that for the next MC i do!

• Ok thanks

Yeah I didn't know they existed either I should try them next time

• Partial cleanse? Is there any benefit to drinking the lemonade when not doing the full cleanse? I am thinking about doing lemonade for breakfast and lunch and a light fruit or nonfat salad dinner. I cannot do a full cleanse right now, as I have some dinner obligations and I don't want to not eat anything at all. I have done the full cleanse before and remember it really helping to get food cravings under control and helping release water retention. Does anyone think there would there be any benefit to doing this?

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I have read that it is a bad idea. I can't quote exactly, but one reason that the MC detoxes you is that your body gets a break from digestion. So, if you eat even one meal a day, it doesn't get that break. Some don't even want you to have the pulp from the lemons you use! I also know that if you eat once a day, you will have problems with hunger. During the cleanse, your hunger mechanism adjusts and you don't get hungry. The idea that your digestive tract is empty is important too.

I do think the full 10 day MC is wonderful for getting back on track.

• Thank you so much for your reply. It was most helpful!!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

You're welcome!

• I read that maple syrup is not Raw. I'm not sure why not? Can someone elaborate?

Maple sap is boiled until it thickens to syrup. I still eat it though.

• I'm on day 7 of my first master cleanse! I attempted it twice before and failed both times on the second day! But now I'm on it and I think I'm going to do it for another week or ten days after this one. I've had quite a bit of (much needed) weight loss and I'm very excited to becoming healthier! I'm hoping that this will help me jump into RAW better than I was doing before but wow, my cravings are HORRIBLE!! I craved pizza all day yesterday and it drove me insane! hahaa.

Anyone else on the cleanse or doing one anytime soon? I'd love to be a part of it--as I hope it'll be another 13 days or so!

Chattanoog- you can definitely do it. The last few i've done, i've had the same feeling - i just felt wonderful doing the cleanse. I think that's because my body wanted to get rid of all the toxins! Now, I know everyone is different, but when i had cravings, i just smelled the thing i was craving and it was almost as i've i had actually eaten it. My craving went away. If you crave one thing the entire time your doing your cleanse, I'd make sure you have that one thing on hand when your done- and make it a raw version :) Good luck on your 20 day cleanse - that's awesome!!!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi chattanoog, Congrats on your great attitude during your cleanse. I haven't attempted one yet but maybe I can. I know it doesn't help you now but when you do go back to your raw diet the Eggplant Mini Pizza recipe on here is so good. :)

http://goneraw.com/node/6467

• I am thinking about doing my first master cleanse. Im glad to see there are so many others to talk to for support, cause i am not sure i can go 10 days with just liquid!

Thanks guys for all the advise and information on here!!

• Lobo...you will be quite surprised that after the first maybe the second day you will have no hunger...in fact I often have a hard time getting enough of the the MC down hahha. You will also be surprised at how much more energy you have...your body has so much more because it is not busy and bogged down with digestion. Best of luck...let us know how it goes, I myself will be starting one pretty soon too.

Peace!!

Lo~

Lobo -- I wholeheartedly agree with Glamazon. I did my first 10 day MC and taught school with no problems. I did work up to it so my system wasn't totally shocked the first day or two. Beginning on Wednesday evening, I limited my intake to smoothies and water only. I started the MC at lunch on Friday and had the weekend at home to see if I could still function at school. By Monday I knew I would be OK. The MC is always a good experience for me.

Glam -- Good to see you. Every day is a new day. Just pick up where you left off and continue your journey.

To your health (^_^)

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

I have a few questions, if you guys could help...

1. How do you break the cleanse? What food do you typcially eat first and do you get sick when you start eating again?

2. Does the master cleanse make you poo a lot (sorry!!) or does it just help your cells cleanse and your elimination cycle is the same?

3. Do you feel ok while on the MC and performing normal daily duties (i.e. work, kids, etc.)? I've read that you should sleep a lot while fasting, but I have a normal 9-5 plus a 4 yr old, so life won't stop.

4. I've been feeling a draw to a water fast or MC but don't know enough about either one yet to decide. However, I've finally saved enough $ to schedule a set of colonics in June and thought this might be a good combination. Any thoughts on the combination? Is it a waste of $ to do the colonics while on the MC?