Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kelp Noodles

2»

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

i was not a fan of the crunchiness, but i was just reading somewhere that if you "marinate" in an acid, it makes them soft. I agree, these are more of an asian inspired noodle... not italian. I made these with the great Peanut Dipping Sauce on this site and they would've been very good had I known about the acid softener :)

Also, my asian grocer carries them but when i asked for Kelp Noodles, they did give me that " you have 10 heads" look... then, i explained that i was looking for noodles made out of sea veggies.... they call them Sea Jelly. Icky name, but definitely the same product.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Great for dieting. I was hungry for a raw macaroni and cheese meal. So I raw warmed the kelp noodles in warm water, drained, and put a dab of olive oil on them, stirring. Then I put nutritional yeast and fine Celtic salt on them. Really checked the yearnings. By the way, 10 lbs gone, 50 to go. More Kelp noodles please.

• Congrats Beany B!! I have nutritional yeast that I rarely ever use...I'm gonna try that. I've never found it to have that cheesy taste [which is main reason I bot it LOL] but maybe I have been using it incorrectly.

Hahahaha yes Carrie that is NOT a name that ignites the salivary glands!!! Kinda makes me think of whale flem or something ROTF or worse hahahha I'm so baaaaaaad.

Peace

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Congrats beany beegan! Yeah, it is a low cal (practically no cal) food, for sure! I've lost 70 lbs myself, roughly 25 or 30 since going high raw. At this point, though, I need the calories! I feel like I eat all the time, and most days barely brake 1,000. Some days way less. I'm glad these are working for you!

carrie6292~ someone had mentioned that ("they call them Sea Jelly") on this site (maybe you?) and I asked for that when at the Asian market; they sent me to a canned product of prepared "jello" type stuff. Hmmm, not it! ha!

glamazon~ yeah, I don't find the nutritional yeast to be particularly cheesy either.... :(

• I bought a package from naturalzing.com and tried them out for the first time. I put raw pesto spread (fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, sea salt) on top and LOVED them. I liked the crunch a bunch! ;)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i am obsessed with kelp noodles. i just ordered a case from sea tangle company after i tried a package a few days ago. i just made a simple sauce of miso, lemon juice, braggs, and nooch. i could eat it all day!

• joannabanana that sounds super yummy, but what is nooch?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

oh haha i call nutritional yeast "nooch." i'm just lazy so it's easier to call it that.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I am now on www.rawbootcamp.com for weight loss. It is very high fruit with some veg... Anyway, several nights a week I eat kelp noodles. They are very low in calories and did you ever see the fat count? lol Put pineapple, or other juicy fruit on them. Add some thinly cut sweet onion, celery and red pepper. Add a small amount of shoyu or C.salt. Mix well. You get the idea. For a none diet type, pour a flavorful cheese over them. op. sliced olives.

• HmmmmphF I would never think of trying KNs with fruit...now I'm curious and will have to venture there hahaha.

I have tried to do a raw italian type sauce but with the oceany taste I tend to like the more asian inspired sauce. I love them with finely chopped walnuts for a meatier taste.

Yesterday I was thinking of trying them with some kind of coconut curry type dressing...they are fun to experiment with

Peace

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

We've had pad thai with kelp noodles twice this week - first I tried Ani Phyo's recipe

And the coconut oil does work well, but I wanted way bigger flavor. The next one I made was much better since I added more nama shoyu, more almond butter, tamarind paste, a pinch of cayenne and a little agave syrup.

I also added julienned carrots, julienned red pepper, tomato wedges, cilantro, and green onions to both, so it was a bit more authentic. Point being, it's a good recipe that is tweak-able to suit your taste.