Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kelp Noodles

pixxpixx Raw Master

Are all kelp noodles raw, or just certain brands? I'm thinking of going to a local Asian market, to see if I can find these (I've never tried them), but I don't want to buy something that is not raw. Many of the items in that market are not in English, so this may be difficult...

2»

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Just following up on this....

I went to two different Asian markets. Neither one of them had a clue what I was asking for! I spent quite a lot of time reading labels there; found noodles made from wheat, some from yam, starch, and lots of other stuff....but no kelp. I found a kelp section, but that was all still green; some noodle looking (but green like straight out of the water), some flakes, some sheets. Not the right thing.

Ah well.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Kelp noodles are clear and will be found in the refrigerator section. They are not dried.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ah, cool to know. Yes, I knew they were clear, but didn't know if they would be refrigerated or not. I had wondered. I looked in both areas at both those two stores, to no avail. But, I just now found them over at Natural Zing....so, YEAH! :~)

http://www.naturalzing.com

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

On another thread about kelp noodles, someone mentioned that the ones they found in England are actually green. It actually makes more sense to me that kelp noodles would be green or another deep color rather than clear. I kinda wonder what Sea Triangle does to create clear noodles... hm...

• LOL yeah Bluedolfin, come to think of it...WHY are the Sea Tangle ones more on the clear side?? I mean they have a slight neon-greenish look to them but still pretty clear. Plus the pkg says product of USA hmmmm wonder where its being harvested from?? I just got a couple of pkgs...have yet to pop one open. I'm looking forward to it though. I'm hoping I like them. Low calorie, lowcarbs plus very mineral rich. No slicing or dicing I'm a happy eater haaaaaa-haha.

pixx...I too tried the asian store here...nope. And trying to tell them what I was looking for they looked at me like I had 3 heads!! Meanwhile some of the stuff they DO have looked like it was from another planet. I used to buy the seaweed salad they have...its a very BRIGHT vibrant green seaweed. I would have it over rice when I was eating rice that is :

Do you have to buy large quantity with naturalzing?? I got mine thru rawfoodworld $3.95 a pack.

Peace

Lo~

glamazon~

The next time you go adventuring, looking for something in an ethnic (or even at a non-ethnic) store, bring a picture of what you are looking for. You might (or not) improve communication and your chances of finding what you are looking for. :) I enjoy those noodles. I have had many a fun adventures looking for recipe ingredients... going to many places I would not have gone to in those adventures... learned lots and met cool people. :)

If you really like the noodles, you can buy them by the case directly from Sea Triangle.

Happy noodling.

• Hi everyone,

These sound so interesting, I may give it a go!

This faq from Sea Tangle explains why they are clear

http://www.kelpnoodles.com/about_us_faq.html

You can buy them from this site, by the case

chiffon~

Thankx. That explains the lack of color.. I wonder if they (or someone else) uses the outside for another product??? It would be a shame if it was just tossed. I would figure there are tons of nutrients in it.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

glamazon~ They are 4.99 over at naturalzing. More, yes, but I plan on getting a few other things there. I may check out rawfoodworld (thanks!) and see if there are some other things I'm interested in right now. Saving a dollar isn't productive, if it costs more to ship it! If I end up liking them, next I'll go check out the price for the case at Sea Tangle.

:~)

• Good idea Bluedolfin...I would have never even thought to do that!

Are the kelp noodles alot cheaper buy the box directly from Sea Tangle? I hear ya about the shipping costs pixx. We need more raw food stores in our cities and towns!!

Peace

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ahhh, Natural Zing is cheaper than rawfoodworld on some other things I want, and they are way closer to me (so less shipping involved-carbon footprint and all, ya know) so I think I'll stick with them.

Over at Sea Tangle; "$33.00 per case (12 units per case) plus shipping"

glamazon: "tried the asian store here...nope. And trying to tell them what I was looking for they looked at me like I had 3 heads!!"

Too funny!!! And Oh so true, for me too. :~)

glamazon~

Beware... if you take a picture when you go adventuring then you miss out on the "three-headed" looks and the pantomime routine. That's half the fun of finding new stuff! ;0)

Have you ever been to a Japanese restaurant that have the realistic plastic food models in the window?... I'm amazed at them... gotta love the point and order way of doing thangs... way cool!

I wonder how they make those. Do people send in pictures to the mold maker and they "sculpt" the models somehow? Or does one have to find a company that has the model that is closest to the dish you make? There are just so many different ones... If anyone knows, it would be appreciated to be enlightened on the subject.

• PamPam

If you're going to try kelp noodles, try the Noodle and Veggie Curry recipe I just posted. It's very fast to whip up even though there is a long list of ingredients. This is the best meal I've had in a long time. I had a couple packages of kelp nooldes in my fridge that I was afraid to try. If you soak them as I describe and mix them with sauce, they taste no different than regular noodles!

Pam~

I found it humorous in the intro to your recipe where you say, "You could easily serve this dish to a SAD eating friend and they wouldn't know it was raw!"... like having raw veggies is a "foreign" thang... like eating... I don't know... cockroaches or something (even though that might be a regular dish or a delicacy in some cuisine)... oh, better yet, a poop pie. lol

PS. The recipe looks yummy!

PPS. Good to see you posting again. :)

• PamPam

Ohmigosh Blue, I have this one friend that I offered to make a raw meal for and she said it sounded kinda scary! Are you kidding me??? LOL... raw veggies scary? Well, I guess they are for some folks. Chlorophobia. Is there such a word? But I'm thinking most of the typical SAD diet is far scarier!

Thanks, it's good to be back after falling off the raw wagon for over half of 2008...

waterbaby12347~ I guess you missed post #6. ;0) However, having the direct link is nice. :)

Pam~

LOL, what did you tell her you were making? Did you mention raw veggies don't move on your plate unlike other things on shows like Fear Factor? LOL ... Now there is such a word. LOL

BTW, there's no wagon to fall off... just detours on a journey. :) From one that is neither raw and/or vegan, I read this site anyway to keep a finger on the path that I will eventually commit to and to learn all sorts of stuff... maybe even now and then post something useful that makes a difference for someone. :)

• PamPam

Yeah, okay... I took a REALLY long side trip on my way to the forum. ;o)

I didn't tell her anything! I just asked her over for dinner, told her I'd make something she'd like! The funny part is that she eats lots of salads... I've seen it with my own eyes! People are just odd sometimes. I ended up doing nothing really special because I really didn't feel like making a heavy dish, so I made a huge green salad, flax crackers, corn salsa, and some chocolate cherry ice cream. She ate lots and says she makes salads like that all the same. So, I'm not sure why the reluctance... I did sneak a little dulse in the salad, though. Shhhh...

• Here you go Bluedolfin

http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia29/en/topic/index.html

You got me wondering about that too!

p.s. Click 'next' at the bottom of each page, there are 4 pages :~)

Another "mystery of life" solved!!! Yippee! (I wish all life mysteries were just that easy to solve.)

chiffon~

You get two gold stars for that find! The process to make those models is amazing. Those folks that make those food models are artists and create a true art form..

Ok... now, to think of another mystery of life to solve. teehee

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

If you want to save some money and not buy a case, you might want to look here... Having the link makes life easier, sorry if the duplication is a problem...

http://www.therawfoodworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001962&osCsid=e1318eac0e7f0dbfb7327aa337bca4f6

If it doesn't click, just copy and paste into the address bar... smile

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

Have you tried your local Whole Foods Market for the Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles? That is where I have purchased them.

Another option is to contact the company directly (email/call) and ask where is the closest store to you that carries the noodles.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Does any one know why kelp noodles last so long? If I took kelp of the beach, put it in a plastic bag with saltwater, it would soon be ick.

I would theorize that the noodles last because they are cleaned. Seaweed from the beach still has all the "stuff" from the sea on them. Also, the FAQ states that they don't heat the kelp above 100 degrees... heating up to 100 degrees probably kills off some of the sea ickies without damaging the kelp... much. Purely a guess though... but it sounds good., ha? :0)

Another thought (right or wrong...) when the kelp is its natural habitat, all sorts of stuff feed on it and it gets exposed to all sorts of stuff. But I do recall kelp lasting pretty long on the beaches.

Also, at home, the noodles are refrigerated... that helps from decomping.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

strong_and_raw~ Unfortunately, my "local Whole Foods Market" is an hour and a half away. :'(

Bluedolfin~ If I end up liking these from Natural Zing, I'll probably do that! Thanks!

beany beegan~ ohhhh ugh!! I hope I can get that image out of my head when I go to eat them!! LOL!

Pam~ Thanks for pointing out the recipe; sounds yum!

:~)

• Actually I went online to check at my 2 closest WF markets. I tried finding it by usuing kelp noodles as product and Sea Tangle as manufacturer but nothing came up. I will check next time I trek that way.

LOL that is cool chiffon! thanks for that...can never know too much LOL I have to tell you all that I love that everyone on this site is so helpful and freely giving of their knowledge!! I am going to start another thread as I want to confess of my challenges trying to go RAW and I know this is not the thread to do it on. So anyway I hope you guys will come on over and help me to help myself.

I guess I will start a new thread under the newbie forum..."Glamazon confessions---Please help!"

Thanks and many blessings to you all!!

Lo~

• pixxpixx Raw Master

ehhh, I'm just not impressed. Not foul, thankfully, but not wonderful either.

I tried these today (after getting them in my Natural Zing box this past week). We had half with tomato sauce (bf), and half with peanut sauce (me). We tasted each others version, and both of us preferred the peanut sauce. These just are not a great substitute for a tomato sauce pasta. They were ok with the peanut sauce.

I suppose for those who are 100% they might do well in a desperate craving for pasta. Not something I'm jumping to spend my money on again, but an interesting experience over all. ;)

• I made a type of thinner pate with sundried tomatoe, shitake mush, rehydrated seaweed, hima salt, and chopped walnuts...after I added a bit of bragg's--was OK. Like you pixx, I wasn't thrilled at first but it kinda grew on me LOL

I def think because of it's sea tones it has to be more asian influenced sauces rather than tomato based italiano if ya know what I'm saying. I only used half and have other half in fridge in water...so will try a new combo tomorrow. I'm always up for an taste adventure LOL

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

i was not a fan of the crunchiness, but i was just reading somewhere that if you "marinate" in an acid, it makes them soft. I agree, these are more of an asian inspired noodle... not italian. I made these with the great Peanut Dipping Sauce on this site and they would've been very good had I known about the acid softener :)

Also, my asian grocer carries them but when i asked for Kelp Noodles, they did give me that " you have 10 heads" look... then, i explained that i was looking for noodles made out of sea veggies.... they call them Sea Jelly. Icky name, but definitely the same product.