Should I exercise while detoxing? - I have NO energy

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I'm transitioning rather quickly - in a matter of days I've replaced half my diet with raw fruits, vegetables, and some coconut. My skin is breaking out, I've got gas, and I have NO energy for my workouts. I know this is all just part of detox and will get better with time. But I read somewhere that the lack of energy and muscle exhaustion is because the body is directing it's energy away from the muscles and towards the internal organs for repair and healing. It said that if you do a lot of activity, forcing the energy back to your muscles, you'll just slow down the repair and regeneration of internal organs.

Should I not be working out while detoxing? I do NOT want to stop exercising, I'm into it very hardcore and seeing great results and I don't want to plateau or regress. I do 10 minutes of moderate intesnity cardio every day, and 30-50 minutes of resistance training every other day, with one day of rest on the weekends. I'm starting to see a lot of definition and my abs are appearing and I don't want to have to stop... but I've had way less energy for my workouts since starting my raw transition, and today, I was reaching failure so early during cardio and struggling so hard that it took me 40 minutes to finish a 10 minute workout. Plus, I'm just feeling so exhausted generally I think I might have to take a nap later today.

Should I just tough out my workouts until my detox is over, or should I give it a rest so I don't impede my body's healing?

Comments

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I just listen to my body when I'm detoxing. Basically, I plan to do Tae Bo every day (currently a 55-min workout). That way, I don't feel bad about not doing it on the occasions when I don't have time or don't feel up to it. When I did my 20-day Master Cleanse, there were 3 or 4 days I just didn't do it at all. There were several other days that I did it, but could tell I didn't have the energy to put into it that I usually do.

So, just go with what your body is telling you. You could always try a lighter workout or modifying your current workout for now too. I don't think it's necessary to say avoid all exercise, but don't push yourself too hard either. Your body is getting a lot of work done right now! :)

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

So, say, during cardio, just do one or two rounds instead of four? Or could I at least do three rounds and just skip the fourth one? It's hard for me to back off when I'm a very hardcore, push-myself-to-the-limit kind of person and I'm already seeing such great results from my exercise program. But I guess I could deal with doing the same workouts, just going less rounds for a little while so I don't feel like vomiting or collapsing into a coma by the end, which is what I felt like doing after my regular workout today (my third day of detox/raw transition).

How long does detox usually last, if you're jumping into raw full on? I'm not quite 100% raw yet but I'd say close to 50%, after just three days, so I'm expecting a harsher, but quicker detox. I just don't know whether to expect this lack of energy, skin breakouts, etc, to last a week, or three weeks, or three months. I had to take an hour and half nap today AND I'm going to bed early...

• I can relate to the demands of intense exercise and pushing your body to the limits. The human body is capable of so much more than most people are willing to push it to. You just have to be in the right physical and mental condition to get yourself there. I personall don't work out unless I am prepaired, but everybody is different. It sound like you might want to take some time and get your diet on track first. I know its not reccomended to work out or do anything other than rest and meditate if you are fasting, but since you are doing a diet transition, then I don't see anything really wrong with doing some light exercise. I just would not expect to get any significant gains while you body is transitioning.

Good luck and good health to you.

• Listen to your body, it's a seriously sophisticated product of millions of years of evolution so if it says rest, you rest! Or if you have too much energy to even sit still, go use it! A break in the middle of a workout scheme such as yours can have benefits anyway, don't be afraid of a pause now and then. Your detox shouldn't last any longer than a week, unless you've been eating asbestos or something.

Eating asbestos! lol! That's funny.

Go jakkrabbit! :) Hope the detox is quick for you - I would guess around a week as well. Sounds like you are making great progress, but yeah, don't push yourself to the point you want to vomit or collapse. I have learned (the hard way, I admit it!) that part of loving myself is knowing when to take it easy on myself.

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Well, now I have to skip exercising today - I feel 100% miserable.

I have a sore throat, a bit of a headache, and I'm in bed. I don't know what this is, detox, or my body crying foul on me for pushing myself SO hard in my workouts during detox/partial juice feasting, or dehydration (I thought all the water in the juices would eliminate the need for much extra water throughout the day, since my dietician seems so adamant that water in food counts towards my daily total 8-10 glasses... but I'm starting to think she's really wrong. The past three days I've cut down on my straight water intake since I thought it was made up for in the juices... hah. My throat is raw, my eyes are dry, my hands are puffy, my whole body feels horribly dry and I feel really sick) I'm actually hoping desperately this is dehydration and will be rectified in a day or two, because if this is detox I'm dreading a whole week of this. I'm the most stoic person you'll ever meet when it comes to any kind of physical pain or injury, but give me a sore throat and I'm a complete wimp. There's nothing else I hate more in this world, besides stuffy noses. I'm just odd that way. I would rather be hit with a crowbar and have broken ribs than have a sore throat and stuffy nose...

Yeah, either way I would up your water intake. Because if it's detox, it will help move the toxins out of your system faster anyways. And that's what it sounds like to me. Hope it's over fast for you! I hate sore throats too. When I'm detoxing is about the only time I get a headache too!

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Id say no, exercising puts an extra demand on the body in most cases whilst ill or detoxing.

Amla