Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dates

Are all dates really raw? In groccery stores? How much bananas are ok to eat in a day? I hardly eat bananas just wondering if its true if you eat alot of bananas you would gain weight?

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie
    • Most dates are just dried, if not fresh
    • Pitted dates (with the pits already removed) might have been heated during the process (maybe not raw)
    • Everyone will tell you different things about bananas, its best to experiment for yourself
    • If you eat a lot of bananas and a lot of fat and sit on the couch, then yes you'll gain wait. If you eat a lot of bananas and little fats and are active, then no you won't become overweight
  • Thanks!!! what if the dates are sundried should they still be raw? Where can I find fresh dates?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

You can order fresh dates from

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

yes the date people have the best dates in the world.

• If you are active you will not gain weight from eating bananas. Go to www.30bananasaday.com ... I'm going on banana island and all I've heard from numerous people is that they drop a good 5-7 kilos while on ban island.... however, I am NOT doing it to lose weight, but to GAIN energy and health. You might want to look into the 80-10-10 Low fat raw veg lifestyle if 30bananasaday interest you. www.foodnsport.com is another great site. Hope this helps.

• Thanks Im looking into adding more different kinds of fruit in my diet!!! I havnt tried those dates yet.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Sundried dates are considered raw. As for the bananas thing, the reason people say it will make you gain weight is because its more calories dense than some other sweet fruits. How long have you been raw vegan because I really dont know many people who actually gain weight on this diet???

• I love fruit I eat it everyday, I would never be able to cut fruit out of my diet!!! So I wouldnt get fat on buckwheat either? its suppose to be a fruit seed :O

I love buckwheat . Is it healthy to eat it everyday?

• I eat dehydrated buckwheat about 2 cups a day along with fruit and green soups. I sometimes worry I will gain weight:( Will I ? I love eating the dehydrated buckwheat because thats the only solid food I get in my diet and I drink plenty of water too!!!. Plus I dont eat any fats such as nuts and avacados.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Dr means fresh fruit, Sweet. Buckwheat is dried/dehydrated and not fresh, not recommended as a large part (or any part) of the diet.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

buckwheat is a starchy seed. it's not the same digestibility as fruit. it's like comparing pumpkin seeds to pumpkin, the seeds are much heavier. buckwheat is more a grain in it's digestibility, you'll prolly find that a few cups of buckwheat weighs you down more than eating 4 oranges, or even a whole bush of blueberries.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I don't think it's healthy to eat anything every day. Variety is very important. If you're craving straches and sugars, try more fruits, and if it's a nutrition/mineral thing try different sprouts. I find I only crave things if I'm lacking something in my diet. I personally tend to develop intolerances to things I eat every day for weeks on end.

• I cant believe this!!! Buckwheat is suppose to be really good for you and now its not? Its raw dehydrated, what is this everything is bad to eat? Im getting fed up with just fruit and veggies i want something dry , First cooked food is bad now raw food is bad too? My god what a crappy world were living in. So than your telling me dry cooked cereal is better then raw dehydrated buckwheat? Everything has to be limited? I really dont care anymore some people say its good some say it isnt good. people are playing with my mind!! I will eat what I want if its doing good with me, my body knows!!!:S What is so wrong with dehydrated buckwheat its still raw healthy and has alot of nutrients:/ This is what causes depression!! when you can eat what you want knowing that just because its dry its bad for you? I drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruit and veggies. Honestly I dont eat anymore cooked food. Im a bit mixed up sorry:S

LOL I wasn't saying it's bad. It's just better to eat variety and not just one thing. Too much of a great thing is still too much...balance is important. Try kale chips, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted anything else... mix it up! You can satisfy the crunch craving with other stuff and still have your sprouted buckwheat. Just maybe not for multiple meals in a day :)

• So whats better cooked buckwheat or raw buckwheat? what is the difference. Is it more starchier and harder to digest cooked?

What is so wrong with it raw dehydrated its not like im eating something unhealthy, or something that is high in fat. Its better than eating chocolate or cookies or chips. .. :/ Do you eat only fruit and veggies? no cooked food? or dehydrated raw foods?

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Hi sweet! As superfood said, buckwheat is a dried product and cannot compete nutritionally with truly fresh, truly raw, truly whole fruits and vegetables.

It's really not worth getting worked up over. No one here is trying to mix you up or force you to stop eating something you enjoy. If you want to eat buckwheat, then eat it! If you feel good eating it, go for it! It's your body, your choice, and your life.

HTH,

Swayze

• Ok LOL I will try some other things!! Im still sort of new to this, Ive been always eating healthy and raw fruit and veggies, I used to eat cooked food. But now im completely raw, I just need help with some raw food meals. Is there any raw foods that have vitamin B12. Can I live without vitamin B12?

• Is it ok to mix it up with fruit and soups?

I eat sprouted buckwheat, but it's usually just a few tablespoons added to a mixture of fruit to give it a little crunch. I'll throw it in smoothies sometimes too. Sometimes I'll have a cup (or so, I don't like measuring) of buckwheat with banana milk for breakfast. I don't have it daily because I like variety to make sure I'm getting the nutrients I need. Sprouted buckwheat is good for you and in my opinion better than cooked. I found cooked tasted gross and made me gassy. But it's good to have other options. To satisfy my need for crunchy, I also dehydrate other kinds of sprouts, kale chips, vegetable chips, etc. I try to mix it up.

I eat mostly fruits and vegetables, but I add a fair amount of nuts, seeds, and sprouts. I eat a huge variety of things. I eat more nuts than most people, but I don't count calories and I judge how well I'm doing by complexion, how I fit in my jeans, energy level, health, weight, etc. I don't stress out about calorie counting, because I when I'm hungry I eat and if I'm gaining weight I back off on the fatty nuts, and if I'm losing weight I'll add more oils and fatty fruits/nuts. If I'm tired, I'll look at what I'm eating and adjust the carbs. I may be more preoccupied with calories if I were very active, but I'm not a competitive athlete by any means. I eat a raw vegan diet because my health problems aren't nearly as bad on it.

I don't eat cooked food except on very rare occasion I'll have cooked squash or rice (once every couple months I eat out with my SAD diet friends and vegan sushi is a good compromise for me). I eat some dehydrated food. I don't think fat is bad. I eat plenty of it and my cholesterol levels are great and I'm still thin. Everyone is different though and I have friends who are vegan and have to watch their fat intake, but usually they are not raw and eat processed carbohydrates. 100% raw is what we strive for, but I think it's important to accept that we are human and perfection isn't something I strive for. As long as I'm eating vegan, I'm happy with my choices.

My only point was variety is better because you get a wider range of nutrients. If you limit your diet too much, you can limit the range of nutrients you are getting from your food. We do need some fat to function (cholesterol is actually needed for proper brain function). Don't worry so much and if it makes you happy, then do it. My opinion is just an opinion and it doesn't have to be important to you. It's just there for consideration.

• I appreciate your opinion camiheartsraw!!! I beleive what your saying is true, Ive been always cutting out fat in my diet, even with cooked food. I always feel like I would gain. Im liking the buckwheat , all I wanted to know if it was healthy to eat and if I would get fat by eating too much of it. To be honest , I always worried about my weight, and Im already thin ,I get used to eating the same foods everyday that when I try new foods, I always think it will change me some how or I will look different :S I dont know. I should eat some other different raw foods so I get a more variety of nutrients. Are almonds good to eat as a fat?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Actually, getting too much variety each day or each week is not healthy, as your body has a hard time digesting and therefore absorbing the nutrients from all those different types of foods.

Maybe that will become more true the longer I'm on a raw diet. I have a lot of health problems (which are improving by and large) and tend to develop intolerances or allergies if I eat something too much (so two months of eating coconut several times a day will lead to problems digesting coconut). This was especially true of grains, which I thankfully no longer need to eat. I'm open to your statement superfood, but will have to wait and see if I can apply it in the future without consequences. I think food combining has more to do with digesting properly though...too many things in one meal is bad. Many things eaten thoughtfully throughout the day isn't so bad.

sweet - I say this with caring and mean no offense. Developing a healthy body image is very important. I think it's important to explore this focus on gaining weight and why it is happening and not ignore it. Being OK with yourself is really important to your overall well being (mental and physical). I used to be concerned about weight and would binge and fast, but my priorities shifted drastically when I became chronically ill. It ended up being a very good thing and I grew a lot as a person. It turned me on to raw veganism, a great group of people within the community, and I became a lot less focused on what other people thought. How I feel and how my loved ones feel is more important to me than what size jeans I can squeeze into. I realized that other people are focused on their own world more than me, which I found very liberating. I know they don't care how thin I am, so why should I make that a focus for myself? I hope you find peace and hapiness from within. Please, enjoy your meals. I find the less I focus on what I'm eating (calories, combining, etc.), the happier I am.

Cami

• Thank you for the help:) I dont know if its only me but I seem to keep eating throughout the day, like in the morning i would have 3/4 cup of buckwheat with 1 apple and 1 pear, then 1 hour or 2 later i have 2 grapefruits, then another hour another 3/4 cup buckwheat, then tonight i had a green soup with 2 apples and pear and another 3/4 cup of buckwheat. I feel depressed now:S I dont get my periods anymore, why dont i get it? is it the food im eating? is it enough?

Thank you

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Do you compete in any athletics?

Sweet, you need to eat more! The buckwheat is providing calories, but not much in terms of volume. If you cut out the buckwheat from your breakfast and lunch meals and eat more fruit, you will feel satiated longer and won't feel the need to eat all day.

I suggest using www.nutridiary.com or www.fitday.com for a little while to help you keep track of how many calories you are consuming everyday.

Swayze

I agree with Swayze. There are a lot of reasons you can miss a period, but one of them is lack of body fat (we need some to function properly). This can happen when someone is training very hard for competitive sports, but they still have a lot of muscle mass and are otherwise very healthy. This can also happen when someone is not active and not taking in enough calories. You need to bump your calorie intake up. I would be dizzy if I ate that much :P Lack of nutrition can also lead to depression, fatigue, and health problems.

I'm still in the gourmet phase so my food combining isn't always great, but here's an example of a normal day for me:

Hemp smoothie (1/4 cup hemp, few Tbs buckwheat, cacao, and some yacon - the yacon and cacao are not considered 100% raw) OR Banana smoothie with 2-3 small bananas, vanilla bean, and water

Snack of several oranges (3-4)

Zucchini hummus (recipe on home page - yummy!) (2 zucchini, some sesame seeds blended, lemon juice and cumin)

romaine lettuce (1 head romaine)

cucumber (1 large cucumber)

collard greens for a wrap (about 5 leaves)

This is in massive quantity because there aren't a lot of calories here - it's all vegetables.

Snack of about a cup of nuts

Later a snack of dates (around 6)

Dinner is ginger carrot soup with macadamia nuts and avacado blended in for fat content (2 cups carrot, ginger, spices, 1/2 cup mac nuts, and 1/2 an avacado)

Dessert is mango (at least 1 large mango if not 2) whipped up with some dates and I'll add chia seeds if I'm really hungry.

I'm still thinner than average.

I should say the longer I'm on raw, the less I'm tolerating nuts, so sometimes I prefer to eat fruit instead. It's weird, but I hear it's pretty common.

Sorry, I was a little unclear. I wasn't responding to Sweet's period question, just to the diet as a whole.

As far as periods go, I still menstruate, but have not bled or experienced any pain in over a year. Here's a thread on the topic with some of my comments:

http://goneraw.com/forum/light-period-becoming-raw

HTH,

Swayze

Hmm... well I guess I can only hope I will one day fall into the healthy reporoductively but not showing symptoms category, but that's a new way to think of things for me. I agree what doctors are taught isn't always what it should be, so I'll be open minded about it.

• I weigh 100 pounds, I know I need to eat some fat, I eat about 2 cups of buckwheat a day, with fresh fruit and veggies It wont be enough to maintain my weight? Will I gain weight?. I dont have variety. I also dont have a dehydrater, Im just looking for more of solid food, Before eating completely raw, I used to eat organic , kidney beans, kamut puff cereal, rice, tuna, ezeikiel bread, manna bread, yoghurt, but I always ate raw fruit and veggies with these foods, I hardly ate meat, I am a vegetarien. I always ate healthy and left the bad food out. Is manna bread raw by the way? I love buckwheat and I dont want to take it out of my diet, but do I need to add other food, to maintain my weight or even gain a little? I wanted my period back:S I dont even know if I have enough b12:O