Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Where does all the produce go???

kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Hey this has crossed my mind a couple of times and was just wondering my local whole foods has mounds of fruit and vegetables. Im assuming that they don't sell all of the fruits and veges so what do they do with the leftovers??? They don't trash them do they???

thanks

Comments

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

I'm afraid so. On tv I saw an item about a bio-fuel installation and the person used deposed banana's for converting in to methane. The banana's were not sell-able (spot's or something they were perfectly eatable). Al lot of food is wasted in this way (e.g. cucumbers must be straight, radish a certain size) it's stupid.

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I worked at a whole foods store and the old/unsaleable produce was thrown in the dumpster. We had constant dumpster divers, I guess it was good they were getting better, healthier food than from other dumpsters, so we were contributing to society that way. But honestly, it could have been composted and used to start a community or school garden!

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

In regards to what RawEverything said, I have to agree. I work at a supermarket at its amazing how perfect they want to the fruit and vegetables to be.

I even watched this show where they go abroad to the plantations with the workers picking fruit and veg, if a green bean grew slightly curled it wasnt appropriate.

I thought, couldnt they just sell them as mis-shapen fruit and veg...they do it all the time with biscuits and bread. I bet loads of people would buy them because they would be cheaper.

The other day at work I got 30 bananas for 60p! Only two of them I'd say were non-edible, the rest had a few small bruises but nothing to throw them away for! But because they didnt look right, they were marked down.

... I don't think it's a fruit thing though, they mark us humans down if we dont fit the perfect stereotype or look right. :P

• I know its crazy, they throw banana's away when they start to brown on the outside. That's usually what I like to start eating them because the starches in banana's will have broken down and they're easier to digest. Plus they're sweeter!!!

And for all the talk of world hunger with as much as we waste....

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Yes, they do get thrown away. You can try talking to a manager and see if you can buy the unwanted produce at a discount.

Swayze

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Around here, a lot of it goes to a couple food banks. :)

• It does not all get thrown away. Much of it is donated. Here in the south region, the rest goes to a compost facility and returns as Farmer D Biodynamic compost (great stuff)!!

Check out http://www.farmerd.com/product/farmer_d_compost_16qt/organic_fertilizer for more information on the compost.

• The capitalist system as a whole is enormously wasteful in so many ways. Supermarkets throwing out perfectly good food is only a little sliver of the tip of the iceberg.

• yes. sadly, most of the time, it gets thrown away! many stores throw away their unsold goods.. have you never heard of freecyclers?? they are people who go through these trash cans and pick out all the good stuff. its something i've always wanted to do, but i just dont know where to do it! ahh!

• Our local market used to give their old stuff to our neighbors for their pigs. I don't know if they still do it - they've changed hands since.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

some whole foods compost now. but it seems to vary store to store.