Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oral health advice?

I'm not 100% Raw..well not even 50% Im still dablling it so I know some of my diet contain sugar. I dont eat a lot mind, but more that a Raw Fooder would.

However I went to the dentist the other day and he said Im Ok but hes going to keep an eye on something, but more than anything I've noticed on one of my tooth the gum is receeding and my gums tend to be reddish - not completely, but in certain areas.

I will raise my hands and say I've always been sloppy with oral hygine. When I was a Kid I ate sooo much sugar you wouldnt believe it... its all I would eat for a time, my parents didnt really know about nutrition they thought giving me what I want would be good, as long as I had some beans on toast here and there and chips I would be fine.

I dont blame them of course as they did warn me my teeth would rot out, I already have one mercury filling, three teeths taken out (one was wisdom, one grew on top of another and the last was broken in an accidnet) and I have a silver crown. But its only now that I've woke up to see the damage I have done!

I have awful teeth for somebody my age (19) and shamefully I don't think I've gone a solid week where I've DEFINITLY brushed my teeth morning and night. I floss when I feel like it, same with mouthwash.

You're probably disgusted at me but actually I've always been weary of ingesting things, so I might have done all that but I've never swallowed a tablet or puffed a cigarette so even when I was doubled up in pain from tooth ache I never took a paracetamol.

So, today I went to the health shop and got myself a Natural toothpaste, whcih is probably silly since Im using a normal chemically mouthwash lol. But apart from starting to brush/floss/mouthwash regular has anyone got any raw/holistic/healthy ways of combating this damage or even reversing it?

Comments

• Cut out anything acid-forming, like refined sugar, any grains, and animal products. This will benefit you as a whole too. Keep in mind that no part of your body is isolated, and effects of diet, environment and mental state (eg stress) can manifest differently for everyone. I would definitely stop using mouthwash, if they tell you not to swallow it then it shouldn't be in your mouth at all! And brushing your teeth is really only necessary if you consistently eat the aforementioned acidic stuff. I brush maybe once a week - never had any dental problems and my teeth look fine too.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Oh I'm Vegan so that's not a problem, I should have mentioned. I didnt realise Grains caused acid.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

brush your teeth day and night take care of them as you'll regret if not, floss also is a good idea or use a natural mouthwash.

chewing cardamon seeds is a good natural teeth cleaner for after meals and freshens the breathe, has many other benefits such as digestion.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Cloves or Mint-Leaves too.

• I had some gum issues a couple years ago. I saw some info on this website regarding oil pulling. I got some cold pressed sesame oil and tried it. I cleared up all of the problem and when I went for my 6 month check up the dentist wanted to know where it went. So I told him what I was doing. He said keep it up! You can google oil pulling and get some good info. Basically all I do is swish around a tablespoon of oil first thing in the morning for as long as I can stand it, then spit it out. It gets thin and foamy. Do not swallow it. Hope this helps.

oil pulling is pretty good, its an old ayuverdic therapy. Watch not spit the excess down the drain though as one it clogs it and two its full of bacteria and other nasties.

My teeth are so white from oil pulling, my teeth were abit stained from past smoking.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Can I just ask how long it normally takes before you notice results from oil pulling?

Can I use any type of cold pressed oil?

Kind of intrigued by it but scared to try...worried I'd just gag!

The best is sunflower oil or sesame but sunflower is said to be better.

Not long for some results i noticed less anxiety and panic attacks in sessions with oil pulling, the whiting of the teeth and gum health take a little longer of course and dont happen over night. I noticed my skin was alot nicer also.

Its not really that horrible a sensation its just a little difficult at the start its easy but come the 10 minute mark theres no swish left as your mouths full so its pretty difficult i find.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Which oil do you use powerlifer? How does it whiten the teeth? Does the mouth stay oily after- do you brush afterwards? I got natural toothpaste. Never heard of this before.

sunflower oil is what i use greenwood, i dont think ive ever read why it whitens the teeth but it seems to have that effect in most.

Most oil pull after brushing there teeth.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

Isn't the mouth all slimy and oily afterwards?

Not really greenwood it kind of foams up abit rather than all slimy, its quite weird the first few times, just spit somewhere othe than sick(clogs it up) and is full of bacteria and other nasties.

Ive been lazy with it recently must start up again as its well worth it for the oral health alone.

I might give it a try with cold pressed sesame oil next time I get some in. I think I would prefer the taste of that over sunflower.